Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any NYC/ConEd customers?

Zacster

Sep 11, 2017
NYC
I was just on the ConEd website and of course the options are confusing. I'm a residential customer that would like to install a charger, but how they do the install can be critical to how much you pay for the electric. They offer time-of-use options, but that would impact the rate I pay for all of my usage during the peak hours. That doesn't sound like a great plan since it would increase the cost of everything else. There is also a second meter option that would incur a fixed cost each month plus usage that only applied to the charger. The midnight to 8am rate is 1.68/kWh, which is really cheap. But the peak rate is 24/kwh, which is expensive. The second meter option is a higher upfront cost too.

It is all really confusing, but I wonder if it is worth worrying about for the amount of power I'm using. If I drained the battery every day commuting I could see wanting a very low rate, but if I'm only using it for errands during the week maybe I don't need to worry about charging costs? I just don't know. I've never driven regularly to commute as most NYers just don't drive to Manhattan.

Any advice?

bleclair8281

May 1, 2017
New Rochelle, NY
Zacster, prior to installing solar I had the following setup MX100D + M3 LR using ToU billing + NYSERDA/SmartCharge. I scheduled charging to only start at 12:05am and finish by 7:55am. My end result was that my all-in ConEd bill did not go up from where it was when I had gas cars which I felt was pretty impressive. I did have to make some other lifestyle adjustments in order to achieve this like scheduling dishwasher & laundry runs overnight and being very judicious with HVAC during the super peak 2-6pm window, which was fine at the time as both wife and I were working not at home.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC