Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any one driven to Norway - What charging Apps/Cards do I need?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gangzoom

May 22, 2014
Uk
Summer 2021 isn't quite over yet, but am not planning the 2022 Summer road trip to Norway.

The plan is to get cross over at Harwich to Hook of Holland overnight, than drive up to Copenhagen to get the ferry across to Oslo (my wife like boats). We'll than have anything up to 10 days+ to spend in Norway, with view of aiming to take in the Atlantic Ocean Road and as many Fjords as possible. The extended family will fly into Oslo so for the Norway bit we'll have 6 up in the X. We'll than take our time coming back with a few days in Amsterdam.

Quite excited as overall it'll be well over 3000 miles of driving, and the scenes should be fantastic.

However I have zero idea about public charging setup in Norway. I have a ChargeMap card that worked well in France but doesn't appear to cover Norway much.

Could anyone done a similar trip offer some tips on charging in Norway.....I presume its easier than here in the UK :)

I know I need to get the car registered in Norway as an EV to avoid/reduce road tolls. Will probably AirB&B it for most accommodation.

51412036970_149b3b2b28_k_d.jpg

I can try and offer som input here:

To get the free or cheaper tolls you need to check out this page: AutoPASS - AutoPASS

Its worth the time, as you'll probably end up paying around 10% of the ordinary tolls. You also pay for most ferries that way.

In Oslo and a few other places you can use the on street chargers through whatever app you use to pay for parking. I use easy park together with fortum charge&drive. You might want to check out the app elton which aims to cover most slow chargers in Norway. But as long as you stop by the superchargers you probably wont need them.

Hi,
I live in Norway, and have been a Tesla Model 3 owner since June 2019.
As a new owner, I created accounts at a few different providers.
So far, more than two years later I've still not charged anywhere else than Tesla SuC on my trips in Norway.

But to be safe, I would recommend MER and CircleK (Includes Ionity)

In June 2019, 2 weeks after I received my car, I did a trip the opposite way to Surrey, UK.
My experience was that traveling with Tesla was no problem at all, plenty of Tesla chargers everywhere.

My challenges in UK, was charging at my location.
I was able to create account at charging providers, but not add any payment options as they required British bank account/card, British phone number, or RFID.
I had none of that, and was not able to charge anywhere else than Tesla chargers.

Not sure if that's a problem for foreigners in Norway, but I would make sure that you have an RFID tag along with you.
I have an independent RFID tag, and have successfully configured it in both my MER, and CircleK apps.

I would also recommend you to get this adapter if its not already provided with the car:
I got myself the equivalent one for use in the UK for my next trip over to UK.

Reactions: gangzoom
Hi,
I live in Norway, and have been a Tesla Model 3 owner since June 2019.
As a new owner, I created accounts at a few different providers.
So far, more than two years later I've still not charged anywhere else than Tesla SuC on my trips in Norway.

But to be safe, I would recommend MER and CircleK (Includes Ionity)

In June 2019, 2 weeks after I received my car, I did a trip the opposite way to Surrey, UK.
My experience was that traveling with Tesla was no problem at all, plenty of Tesla chargers everywhere.

My challenges in UK, was charging at my location.
I was able to create account at charging providers, but not add any payment options as they required British bank account/card, British phone number, or RFID.
I had none of that, and was not able to charge anywhere else than Tesla chargers.

Not sure if that's a problem for foreigners in Norway, but I would make sure that you have an RFID tag along with you.
I have an independent RFID tag, and have successfully configured it in both my MER, and CircleK apps.

I would also recommend you to get this adapter if its not already provided with the car:
I got myself the equivalent one for use in the UK for my next trip over to UK.
Keep an eye out for Instavolt and Gridserve as these take contactless payments. www.zap-map.com

Reactions: Whateverdude