Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any one know how to avoid OTA updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can avoid it for quite a while by simply ignoring and dismissing the update. This works for everything except “safety critical” updates.

Yes, it’s kind of annoying to repeatedly dismiss the update, but no, the car doesn’t beep to remind you. Your best course of action is to change your updates to standard instead of advanced (controls menu > software) so you aren’t getting the early release (and often buggy) updates.

SO Is there any way to avoid OTA update?

if not to install, every time get in the car beeping and remind me.
Not interested to install most current software,
Or you have no choices ?
Tks
I could delay for so long and then one morning it just updated on its own overnight without my consent.

To increase the delay, make sure you don't connect wifi to your car. But then, you are out of luck when there is a recall and the update will be mandatory by law whether you want it or not and it will do it without wifi.

One thing I found is that after an update is downloaded and nagging you- you can do a factory reset from the menu, and it will lose track of that update and stop nagging.

You also don't have to manually dismiss it every time. It will disappear as soon as you put the car in drive.

You want WiFi off so that it doesn't download anything and start nagging. As noted though, this is only temporary. For a required Recall, it will download over cellular and install anyway. If you go to a service center or have mobile service for any reason they will always update.

Since we are coming up on the Christmas update- I would encourage everyone to disable WiFi so you don't have to get whatever horrible junk they push out like they did the last two Christmases. They've lost the thread and no longer try to constantly improve the UI. Now it's change for the sake of change.

Before you grab your keyboard to write a snappy reply- was there any reason that the icons needed to go all grey scale two years ago, then halfway back to color last year? I mean, changing icons? The word Icon means unchanging. It's just all about how it looks now, not the functionality.

Last edited:
Some recent posts (and anecdotal evidence?) have said that Tesla will brick the vehicle if updates have been put off for too long, thereby forcing the vehicle into a service center for updates.

True or not 🤷‍♂️ But wouldn’t surprise me since any regulatory/compliance/safety update will override any issues

Some recent posts (and anecdotal evidence?) have said that Tesla will brick the vehicle if updates have been put off for too long, thereby forcing the vehicle into a service center for updates.

True or not 🤷‍♂️ But wouldn’t surprise me since any regulatory/compliance/safety update will override any issues

This is completely and absolutely untrue.

There was one update in recent memory that changed the car to mothership connectivity method from VPN to web sockets. Tesla gave people months and months to upgrade to a new version that supported the new connectivity technology - including direct messaging and screen popups warning people that if they didn’t accept a software update they would lose connectivity features.

“Bricking” a car for deferring updates? Never happened.