Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any one with a Gen 3 Wall Connector had luck with Kia Niro EV charging (or in Eastern Suburbs Melbourne will to let me try theirs?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the Gen 2 wall charger working for the last couple of years happily charging my model 3. Now I've finally got rid of the 2nd car (ICE) and replaced it with a Kia Niro EV.

I know that the Gen 2 wall connector shipped free with the car is locked to Tesla only (yes its that type code) - and am looking at the Gen 3 wall connector as an easy swap out, but I wanted to see if anyone has had a Kia Niro 2021 EV charging on a Gen 3 wall connector.

Ive seen the other threads with :
  • Yes - Hyundai Kona , Renault Zoe, BMW i3
  • No - MG ZS EV
i'm thinking the kona working is a good sign if they share electrical parts but i may be drawing a long bow on that one - seeing it work IRL will seal the deal

If no one has seen a Kia Niro EV on a Gen 3 wall connector - has anyone in Melbourne (preferably eastern suburbs) got a Gen 3 installed at home that they wouldn't mind me plugging into for a few minutes to prove it works before i pull the pin and order one ?

I've had the Gen 2 wall charger working for the last couple of years happily charging my model 3. Now I've finally got rid of the 2nd car (ICE) and replaced it with a Kia Niro EV.

I know that the Gen 2 wall connector shipped free with the car is locked to Tesla only (yes its that type code) - and am looking at the Gen 3 wall connector as an easy swap out, but I wanted to see if anyone has had a Kia Niro 2021 EV charging on a Gen 3 wall connector.

Ive seen the other threads with :
  • Yes - Hyundai Kona , Renault Zoe, BMW i3
  • No - MG ZS EV
i'm thinking the kona working is a good sign if they share electrical parts but i may be drawing a long bow on that one - seeing it work IRL will seal the deal

If no one has seen a Kia Niro EV on a Gen 3 wall connector - has anyone in Melbourne (preferably eastern suburbs) got a Gen 3 installed at home that they wouldn't mind me plugging into for a few minutes to prove it works before i pull the pin and order one ?
Hey TonyEm, I've got a Gen3 charger installed at home and happy for you to try it on mine. Only thing is, I'm in the Western suburbs so if you're happy to drive up my way then you can give it a try. Just PM me.

Hey TonyEm, I've got a Gen3 charger installed at home and happy for you to try it on mine. Only thing is, I'm in the Western suburbs so if you're happy to drive up my way then you can give it a try. Just PM me.
Really happy to confirm courtesy of @Electric Mouse that the a Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector CAN charge a Kia Niro EV !!

Have placed my order for a Gen 3 Wall connector 😀