Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any options for rear calipers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I just ordered a Model 3 LR AWD. I really wanted the "stealth performance", but I am sure you know that's no longer available. Other than the $8000.00, the main thing that kept me from ordering the performance was the big wheels and summer tires that are not ideal for my needs. I wanted the acceleration :), and the brakes, but that's all. So, I settled for the LR AWD. I'll install the acceleration boost and hope there will be another boost level offered in the future. The front calipers on the non performance models look pretty good. The rear calipers look, well, sort of Hondaish. They are just basic sliding calipers. I've seen the covers, but most of them look terrible, or don't even completely cover the stock calipers o_O. Anyone installed a different rear caliper, or have another solution? I suppose it might be possible to switch to the performance calipers, but I assume new rotors would also be needed and that it would be prohibitively expensive.

I'm a bit confused with what you wrote. Are you concerned about performance of the rear brake or the look? If the latter, like @UncertainTimes said, putting covers on will only make it more 'Hondaish' in my opinion.

If performance is what you want, then like you said yourself, either swap over the brakes from performance, or as @MountainPass said, get an aftermarket kit. Neither option is cheap.

Reactions: Payjack
Also it’ll be very odd to upgrade rear brakes and not front since 1. The front brakes do most of the braking and 2. You hardly use brakes in daily driving anyway because of regen. If the appearance of your brakes is that important, just get them painted/powder coated. Less expensive than a real upgrade and better than the fake covers.

Reactions: Phlier
Do you want to have bigger calipers or just a different color to enhance the look?

I painted the stock calipers on my Stealth and think they look just as good as the slightly larger red calipers that come standard when you get the full PUP package. Just my opinion of course, which is all that really matters when it comes to aesthetics/looks.
In general, I don’t like caliper covers because they look too obvious... like poorly matched covers over existing calipers. Although, I have seen a few covers lately which match the shape of the OEM calipers fairly well and look somewhat decent.

Some pics of my painted stock calipers, in case this helps you decide for yourself...

C0A9B6CD-7004-4238-9C84-2849A43E3060.jpeg

75A4AE76-6D40-46D9-9EEC-CA7DCD83BA00.jpeg

C92C9BDE-9B97-4476-A425-E59F0CD5F899.jpeg

0BB8046B-F2C8-40A4-B4BD-0FB9EAD8560E.jpeg

175CDFA6-508F-46A1-A396-F9178C85C9B7.jpeg

7E1B0748-22E8-444C-BB71-6A587331B530.jpeg

Do you want to have bigger calipers or just a different color to enhance the look?

I painted the stock calipers on my Stealth and think they look just as good as the slightly larger red calipers that come standard when you get the full PUP package. Just my opinion of course, which is all that really matters when it comes to aesthetics/looks.
In general, I don’t like caliper covers because they look too obvious... like poorly matched covers over existing calipers. Although, I have seen a few covers lately which match the shape of the OEM calipers fairly well and look somewhat decent.

I also have a July 2019 build Stealth, but you got the color I wanted, darn it! :)

Your car looks great!

If you aren't taking the car to the track, you probably don't need to replace the brakes. There are a number of options if you do want to replace the brakes, but they're fairly pricey, most are track focused, and you'll obviously lose your warranty on the brakes. I think painting your calipers is the best way to go if it's just an aesthetic concern.

I also have a July 2019 build Stealth, but you got the color I wanted, darn it! :)

Your car looks great!

Thanks! I think my best upgrade/mod so far has been lowering the vehicle with MPP comfort coilovers, coupled with 15 mm spacers on the front & rear. The aggressive look/stance is exactly what I’ve been looking for, and the handling/ride comfort is now considerably better than with stock height/suspension. I could not be more pleased with the results!!

• Love
Reactions: MountainPass
The red painted calipers look good. What did you use on them and where did you get the sticker for the front caliper?

Thanks. I used the G2 brush-on paint system, and got the vinyl stickers on eBay (but you can get those stickers just about anywhere). Here is a link to one of many etailers who have/sell the G2 paint system. Looks like the pricing has gone up since I bought mine last year.
Good luck!!

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/bra...two+electric+drive&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=

Reactions: XLR82XS
Thanks. I used the G2 brush-on paint system, and got the vinyl stickers on eBay (but you can get those stickers just about anywhere). Here is a link to one of many etailers who have/sell the G2 paint system. Looks like the pricing has gone up since I bought mine last year.
Good luck!!

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/bra...two+electric+drive&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=
Which mud flaps are your running? Might need those as well. Are you down in BB, or just a Tech grad? I'm up in Roanoke.

Thanks! I think my best upgrade/mod so far has been lowering the vehicle with MPP comfort coilovers, coupled with 15 mm spacers on the front & rear. The aggressive look/stance is exactly what I’ve been looking for, and the handling/ride comfort is now considerably better than with stock height/suspension. I could not be more pleased with the results!!

Thanks so much for the kind words! We appreciate your support and thank you for being an MPP customer! :D

Which mud flaps are your running? Might need those as well. Are you down in BB, or just a Tech grad? I'm up in Roanoke.

Hey there. 1993 Tech grad, Mechanical Engineering. I live a little west of the Richmond area.
I ordered the mud guards on Amazon. I believe this was the exact item, although I think they are all made by the same manufacturer/OEM. So, you can’t go wrong with any that look like this one. Just go with someone who has an easy return policy (like Amazon) in case you don’t like the result.

https://www.amazon.com/Motrobe-Tesla-Splash-Guards-Fender/dp/B07XQKZ95Z