Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any options that charge two cars at once?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO the best solution is two Gen 3 with auto balance for the case when you need to charge at the same time to limit the current draw. having two circuits pulling 48 amps could overload your home panel even is the individual circuits are not overloaded. remember you must likely are using other stuff on the house. (guessing 200 Amp limit service on the house. with two car charging on different circuits would be 96amps almost 50% of max capacity of the panel). Although in my head I think is possible to avoid to charge the car at the same time. Unless one of the car has to be charged every day, you just can charge them in alternate days. In my case I only charge once per week unless i have to go in a special event outside my area or road trip. if you can charge in alternate days you dont even need two chargers.

IMHO the best solution is two Gen 3 with auto balance for the case when you need to charge at the same time to limit the current draw. having two circuits pulling 48 amps could overload your home panel even is the individual circuits are not overloaded. remember you must likely are using other stuff on the house. (guessing 200 Amp limit service on the house. with two car charging on different circuits would be 96amps almost 50% of max capacity of the panel). Although in my head I think is possible to avoid to charge the car at the same time. Unless one of the car has to be charged every day, you just can charge them in alternate days. In my case I only charge once per week unless i have to go in a special event outside my area or road trip. if you can charge in alternate days you dont even need two chargers.
That is exactly how I handle charging.
My wife's 3 is on scheduled departure so it doesn't charge until about 5 every morning.
My Y gets plugged in when I get home from work every day and I only plug it in because it has to live outside since my toy car takes up the other garage space.
I have had both cars charging at the same time so that's a total of 64 amps (40 on the Gen 3 and 24 on the portable charger) being pulled from my 200 amp service, no problems and I have electric heat in my house.

That is exactly how I handle charging.
My wife's 3 is on scheduled departure so it doesn't charge until about 5 every morning.
My Y gets plugged in when I get home from work every day and I only plug it in because it has to live outside since my toy car takes up the other garage space.
I have had both cars charging at the same time so that's a total of 64 amps (40 on the Gen 3 and 24 on the portable charger) being pulled from my 200 amp service, no problems and I have electric heat in my house.
Not overly concerned with load. I ran a peak load/usage report in my house and shockingly the peak draw was only 42amps in the last 12 months so should have good headroom. Though not if I do a load calculation.

Not sure what you mean above. So you have a single Tesla Gen 3 charger... What are you plugging the portable one into if not a separately run circuit?

Last edited:
Not overly concerned with load. I ran a peak load/usage report in my house and shockingly the peak draw was only 42amos in the last 12 months so should have good headroom. Though not if I do a load calculation.

Not sure what you mean above. So you have a single Tesla Gen 3 charger... What are you plugging the portable one into if not a separately run circuit?
Portable is plugged into a 10-30 outlet that is on it's own 30amp circuit. I ran two separate lines from my box, one for the Gen 3 and one for the 10-30 outlet.

Attachments

• 4E452493-53DE-4C61-B00F-02F3DB269CC6.jpeg
    4E452493-53DE-4C61-B00F-02F3DB269CC6.jpeg
    807.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
And as if by magic, Tesla has released a native J1772 charger that shares, and its only $415!

The J1772 variant is only rated to a 50 amp breaker/40 amp charging limit.

The actual text regarding sharing is Power sharing is only possible when connected to other Tesla Gen 2 J1772 Wall Connectors. It is important to note that this unit does NOT appear similar to the Gen3's out there. Its like they stumbled across a warehouse of Gen2 bodies out there and decided to stick a J1772 connector on them.

And as if by magic, Tesla has released a native J1772 charger that shares, and its only $415!

The J1772 variant is only rated to a 50 amp breaker/40 amp charging limit.

The actual text regarding sharing is Power sharing is only possible when connected to other Tesla Gen 2 J1772 Wall Connectors. It is important to note that this unit does NOT appear similar to the Gen3's out there. Its like they stumbled across a warehouse of Gen2 bodies out there and decided to stick a J1772 connector on them.
Yeah they must have, otherwise why make it Gen 2.

When they say you can pair it only with other Gen 2s to share power, how are they wired together?

Yeah they must have, otherwise why make it Gen 2.

When they say you can pair it only with other Gen 2s to share power, how are they wired together?
There is a low-voltage data cable that allows the Gen2s to converse with each other.

The power lines are just spliced together, they don't 'need' separate circuits per the Gen2 installation manual(unless it was updated for the new national electrical code). Note: because they are Gen2, they can't be set to different maximum amperage levels. If you have two independent circuits/breakers, they should be the same, or you'll have to set the breaker on the 'primary' Gen2 to the LOWER of the two breaker amounts.

I have a Prius Prime PHEV that connects to a 240V/16A outlet, my Tesla Mobile charger connects to a 240V/50A right next to it (only pulls 32A).

These outlets came with the house and are likely on the same circuit (I have no idea). They both charge fine at the same time though.

This has been very interesting reading because I have the Y, but we're thinking of also getting an IONIQ5, so I was wondering how to keep them both charged

If I install a second HPWC with the J1772 adaptor for the IONIC5 and have the two HPWCs talk to each other can I still limit it all to 30A?

(My current HPWC runs at 30A because (i) it's really enough and (ii) it's the result of the initial Load Calculation)

This has been very interesting reading because I have the Y, but we're thinking of also getting an IONIQ5, so I was wondering how to keep them both charged

If I install a second HPWC with the J1772 adaptor for the IONIC5 and have the two HPWCs talk to each other can I still limit it all to 30A?

(My current HPWC runs at 30A because (i) it's really enough and (ii) it's the result of the initial Load Calculation)
How many miles do you really drive each day? I have two MY and a single tesla mobile charger (well 3, but one dedicated to home charging). I’ve had this for 3 months and no issues. But to be honest my wife doesn’t commute so it’s just around town and my commute is about 15% drain, and then I can charge at work.

I just take on the responsibility of keeping track of the charge level of each and which needs to get some juice each night. Like tonight the Mrs is at 50% and I’m at 65% so she gets bumped back up to 70% tonight.

Reactions: dduffey

You should be able to. I have two gen2 and limit it to 40 amp combined. When both are plugged in charging is split 20/20. An adapter should not pull more than the HPWC allows.

I agree with OCJeff, you might first try and get away with just a single charger and adapter first. While we do often have both plugged in, we don't charge every day either. So we probably would have been fine just plugging in the lowest charged vehicle.

Having two is convenient though, don't really have to put any thought into it or move cables around, etc.

How many miles do you really drive each day?

It's a very good question really. When I first came across the Prius Prime (their PHEV) I saw that the EV range was 25 miles and I thought it was ridiculous

Then I thought about it some more . . .

Finally I realised that I really didn't drive much more than that in a day, certainly at once - and if I did it would simply revert to gasoline

Mind you, I've been working from home for the past two plus years and the idiots I work for want everyone back in the office so I'll probably start doing 80 mile round trips again soon. Like I said ... idiots!

. . . or I'll just quit

Reactions: house9
... I'll probably start doing 80 mile round trips again soon.

Same here. Commute is 43 miles one way, and drops about 15-18% depending on traffic (more traffic = better range). That gives me plenty of juice even at just 60% to complete the round trip, and then re-charge overnight.

As I mentioned my wife works from home 100% and rarely drives more than 15 miles in a day, so I top off her MY at night for an hour, and the schedule my charge for a 7am departure @ 70% usually.

So I don't have a need for a second charger. Also the more investment you make in charger infrastructure the less savings you have from not buying gas. If you really need a second charger then go for it, but just do the analysis first. Or, if money is not a concern then just install two charges. I would rather spend my money on enjoying life (vacations, and such).