Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any options that charge two cars at once?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So put an order in for a Model Y that will come in 6-whatever months. Also considering swapping my wife's Q5 for the upcoming Audi Q4 electric.

But can't seem to find (ie google) any EV chargers that have two cables that can be used at the same time to charge and regulate voltage to two cars?

Before I go an buy a Tesla wall charger or other EV charger, is there anything on the market that lends itself better to charging two different types of EVs and can regulate the power accordingly? Or ideally, allow the option to use more amperage on one car vs another etc?

For folks in this scenario are you running two different chargers/cabling/breakers?

In other news, I can't believe I've gone from 2 ICE cars to having range anxiety about buying one electric to ordering a Y and now thinking about two diff EVs and getting rid of gas cars in a matter of weeks, despite the Y not being here for God knows how mA y months.

So put an order in for a Model Y that will come in 6-whatever months. Also considering swapping my wife's Q5 for the upcoming Audi Q4 electric.

But can't seem to find (ie google) any EV chargers that have two cables that can be used at the same time to charge and regulate voltage to two cars?

Before I go an buy a Tesla wall charger or other EV charger, is there anything on the market that lends itself better to charging two different types of EVs and can regulate the power accordingly? Or ideally, allow the option to use more amperage on one car vs another etc?

For folks in this scenario are you running two different chargers/cabling/breakers?
Two tesla HPWCs can share power, and there are converters to get the Tesla connector to connect to a j1772 like I think the Q4 has.

I believe there are also power-sharing J1772 wall connectors, and you could use the J1772 adapter that comes with your Y.

Two tesla HPWCs can share power, and there are converters to get the Tesla connector to connect to a j1772 like I think the Q4 has.

I believe there are also power-sharing J1772 wall connectors, and you could use the J1772 adapter that comes with your Y.

I'm sure there are probably other solutions but here's one from Clipper Creek

Thanks! Yeah, but was curious if there were any that had come out with say 2 charging cords on one wall charger sort of thing that could charge two cars by splitting the load vs having two separate wall chargers. Which looks like what the Clipper Creek one does but appears to be a "dumb" unit for whatver that's worth.

Just figured before I purchase a Tesla Wall Charger might be good to see what is out there that can charge more than just Tesla's, though sounds like two of the Tesla's would also work well. Plus in Canada they're reasonably priced vs many of the alternatives from the looks of it. CAD$635 each vs $1k for Chargepoint for instance or probably $2k if I can even find the Clipper Creek one here. If the functionality is good and can be easily used on other EV's (e.g., Audi's or whatever), maybe the way to go?

TBH, I think the dual HPWC is going to be your cheapest overall option.

If you are really adventurous and into electronics, you could try this... J1772 Hydra by Geppetto Electronics on Tindie with a good bit of work. After all the extra parts you'd need to get it to work, you might as well just get a second HPWC.

There's also Grizzl-E Duo – GRIZZL-E which is probably marginally better than dual HWPCs(plus the tesla->j1772 adapter), price wise.

TBH, I think the dual HPWC is going to be your cheapest overall option.

If you are really adventurous and into electronics, you could try this... J1772 Hydra by Geppetto Electronics on Tindie with a good bit of work. After all the extra parts you'd need to get it to work, you might as well just get a second HPWC.

There's also Grizzl-E Duo – GRIZZL-E which is probably marginally better than dual HWPCs(plus the tesla->j1772 adapter), price wise.

On the dual HPWC, do you know offhand if it's still a single 60amp breaker to the "lead" HWPC then a daisy chain to the secondary?

The Duo looks like it's a plugin vs hardwire. Not sure if that really matters.

On the dual HPWC, do you know offhand if it's still a single 60amp breaker to the "lead" HWPC then a daisy chain to the secondary?

The Duo looks like it's a plugin vs hardwire. Not sure if that really matters.

Each wall connector needs its own circuit. I have never understood how it would be legal to have, say, two 60A circuits on a 100A panel. Even if you don't plan on using them both at once I don't think NEC recognizes the wall connector power sharing, but I guess I don't know.

check out the clipper creek one I mentioned above too.

Reactions: pbcsd
No, you don't get to daisy chain the power connections. You can run one main line to a subpanel breaker box, but then you do need to split them out there, with a separate breaker for each. But the sharing can still do things like running one main 80A or 100A line, and then you can split out to 3 or 4 wall connectors and set up each one with a 60A breaker, and they will be programmed to cooperate to not go over the allowed total feed from the main line.

Reactions: pbcsd and scottf200
Do you really need to charge both EVs at the same time? What are the daily mileage driven for each car?

We have a Model S and 3 and have no problem sharing a HPWC@60amp. We usually alternate charging days. On the rare days when we both need to charge the same night, the HPWC is fast enough that the M3 usually needs less that 3 hours to charge and I switch before bed.

Unless you are both driving over 100 miles a day, you should be fine with a single HPWC (even with the Q4 slow charging speed). Start with a HPWC and if necessary you can add daisy chain a second one as needed.

Reactions: boulder.dude
Do you really need to charge both EVs at the same time? What are the daily mileage driven for each car?

We have a Model S and 3 and have no problem sharing a HPWC@60amp. We usually alternate charging days. On the rare days when we both need to charge the same night, the HPWC is fast enough that the M3 usually needs less that 3 hours to charge and I switch before bed.

Unless you are both driving over 100 miles a day, you should be fine with a single HPWC (even with the Q4 slow charging speed). Start with a HPWC and if necessary you can add daisy chain a second one as needed.
Someone mentioned above you can't Daisy chain it.

I probably wouldn't need it 90% of the time. But figured if they exist and it's not breaking the bank, maybe I can future proof a bit.

Regarding daisy chaining, its not a real big deal. the Gen3 installation manual says you should have a breaker per HPWC, but having them share a breaker should be entirely safe as long as you don't do anything stupid like doubling the breaker(120A) because you think each HPWC >could< take 60. The Gen2 manual did indeed specify only one breaker was needed. If you do decide to feed more than one HPWC with the same line, don't try to cram the splice into the body of the HPWC, there's just not enough space.

Even if you want to follow the Gen3 manual to the letter, put a small subpanel in the garage and put two breakers in it. The additional cost is negligible for the panel and a neutral line from the main panel(that you wouldn't need for an HPWC. It would also make a future potential switch to 14-50 outlet(s) very easy.

The latest revision of the National Electrical Code requires new installations to have a dedicated circuit(s) for EV charging. Either two separate runs back to the service panel and two separate circuit breakers at the service panel or a sub panel in the garage and two circuit breakers in the sub panel, one for each Wall Connector.

Reactions: howardnj
The latest revision of the National Electrical Code requires new installations to have a dedicated circuit(s) for EV charging. Either two separate runs back to the service panel and two separate circuit breakers at the service panel or a sub panel in the garage and two circuit breakers in the sub panel, one for each Wall Connector.
Fair enough.

I've seen several viable options posted, but haven't seen the Juicebox mentioned. Two juiceboxes can share a circuit and load balance as well.

So I charge both of our Teslas at the same time. The Gen 3 is on a 50amp circuit and will charge the Y at 40amps and the 3 at 32amps.
The mobile charger that is on the wall is on a 30amp circuit and will charge either car at 24amps.

Attachments

• F53C206E-2B0A-42C2-A18E-3D39157D0AA7.jpeg
    F53C206E-2B0A-42C2-A18E-3D39157D0AA7.jpeg
    807.1 KB · Views: 759
Check out the following thread of comments ... I have two Gen 2s in a single circuit and thought the Gen 3s needed their own circuit but _maybe_ that's not true.
That's what I mentioned in my comment above. As I said, you don't need the full distance homerun line all the way back to the main panel. That is what people think of when they hear that each needs its own "circuit". But having a subpanel with individual breakers is what makes it technically by code a "branch circuit".

So you can use one main line most of the distance, but then when you put in the subpanel and split it there near the end in the garage, that is putting them on separate "circuits" because of the individual breakers.