Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any other buyers waiting on news of Acceleration Boost for MYP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all - so a couple months back we decided to get a MYP but due to some delays selling an existing vehicle we haven't got to it until now. However, with the Acceleration Boost on the LR the choice isn't so easy without knowing if the MYP will be getting the same option. I mean, for 8k less you get a car that does (0-60) in .5s less (from the majority of times I've seen the real difference is ~4.2 to ~3.7) but gets significantly more miles. That isn't nearly the value it had before (imo).

If the MYP gets the boost we are definitely going to get it. Without it and without word on if it is happening we are just sort of left scratching our heads. I'm a bit concerned that it isn't coming to the MYP as it did to the M3P due to weight of vehicle, wheels and differences in torque required from the motors.

Without the acceleration boost the MYP feels like it should get a price drop to make it a better value...needless to say we are still thinking on it and waiting to see if there are any announcements. Anyone else in the same boat?

There
C91BE2BA-73FB-4739-BA5A-C2D90E8D8684.png

What I'm saying is that because there is a performance boost for the LR I am no longer sure which version to get. Therefore, I'll probably sit on a purchase (and keep my $) until there is some clarity.

The MYP is 10k more than the LR (with no performance boost). With improved handling, braking and 0-60 at over a second faster that was worth it to me (and others obviously). But now, for 2k I can lower the LR 0-60 to 4.2 so now the MYP is ('only') .5 seconds faster for 8k more with significantly reduced range (relatively). To put that .5 seconds into perspective, the LR buyers can buy .6s right now for $2000. Now the answer is (very) unclear. It seems like the MYP needs something else - a performance boost, increased range, air suspension, better wheel/tire options or a small price reduction (like 3k maybe) to still incent those who are willing to pay a premium but not seeing the real advantage over the LR.

If Tesla lets us know that the MYP will get a performance boost to keep that initial advantage then the answer (to me) is clear that I'd want the MYP. I'm wondering if anyone else is in the same boat and waiting/wondering. With the low sales and huge delays in manufacturing the MYP variant I am wondering if they are really looking to differentiate it or just let it sort of be ignored.

Hey all - so a couple months back we decided to get a MYP but due to some delays selling an existing vehicle we haven't got to it until now. However, with the Acceleration Boost on the LR the choice isn't so easy without knowing if the MYP will be getting the same option. I mean, for 8k less you get a car that does (0-60) in .5s less (from the majority of times I've seen the real difference is ~4.2 to ~3.7) but gets significantly more miles. That isn't nearly the value it had before (imo).

If the MYP gets the boost we are definitely going to get it. Without it and without word on if it is happening we are just sort of left scratching our heads. I'm a bit concerned that it isn't coming to the MYP as it did to the M3P due to weight of vehicle, wheels and differences in torque required from the motors.

Without the acceleration boost the MYP feels like it should get a price drop to make it a better value...needless to say we are still thinking on it and waiting to see if there are any announcements. Anyone else in the same boat?

They really are differently tuned.

I drove both before I chose the MYP. The difference between the two comes down to a lot of factors, most notably the motor differences. However, if you are totally satisfied with the base Model Y, then by all means get that. But the Performance gives you bushings, brakes, tuning, and power at all speeds.

It's a lifestyle choice.

Reactions: Ruffles
They really are differently tuned.

I drove both before I chose the MYP. The difference between the two comes down to a lot of factors, most notably the motor differences. However, if you are totally satisfied with the base Model Y, then by all means get that. But the Performance gives you bushings, brakes, tuning, and power at all speeds.

It's a lifestyle choice.
Agreed and before there was a performance option for the LR the choice was clear to me as well (for what I wanted).

Now, it definitely isn't as clear with a $2k performance option that improves the LR 0-60 time by .6 seconds (so it is now the same speed as my 2017 Model S). That is a tremendous value and also keeps the better range (the gap in range between the models also increased with the latest update). Paying $8000 more for .5 seconds and slightly better braking and cornering...I am not so sure. I want the faster variant but it might no longer be 'faster enough' with the tradeoffs. So sort of waiting to see what the super-delayed 2021 MYPs might have the caused that delay (as tire selection also seems to be extremely problematic at this point as well).

If Tesla offers a performance boost to the MYP for the same price they offered it on the LR I would put my order in tomorrow.

What I'm saying is that because there is a performance boost for the LR I am no longer sure which version to get. Therefore, I'll probably sit on a purchase (and keep my $) until there is some clarity.

The MYP is 10k more than the LR (with no performance boost). With improved handling, braking and 0-60 at over a second faster that was worth it to me (and others obviously). But now, for 2k I can lower the LR 0-60 to 4.2 so now the MYP is ('only') .5 seconds faster for 8k more with significantly reduced range (relatively). To put that .5 seconds into perspective, the LR buyers can buy .6s right now for $2000. Now the answer is (very) unclear. It seems like the MYP needs something else - a performance boost, increased range, air suspension, better wheel/tire options or a small price reduction (like 3k maybe) to still incent those who are willing to pay a premium but not seeing the real advantage over the LR.

If Tesla lets us know that the MYP will get a performance boost to keep that initial advantage then the answer (to me) is clear that I'd want the MYP. I'm wondering if anyone else is in the same boat and waiting/wondering. With the low sales and huge delays in manufacturing the MYP variant I am wondering if they are really looking to differentiate it or just let it sort of be ignored.
MYP feels like it has been ignored since launch. There is no compelling reason, as you state, to purchase it over the LR now.

You have to deal with the awful 21” wheels and only get a slightly faster 0-60 and a slightly lowered suspension. It is no longer a compelling purchase.

ETA: I own one and am still waiting on Track Mode along with a slight performance boost.

I’m loving my PUP MY but would happily take a boost now that the LR has it available.

Comes down to a personal choice. $8k more gets a bit more speed and handling plus the stuff that makes you look different: big red brakes, carbon spoiler, underline badge(so cool!!!:cool:), and huge rims for which you only have one tire option. I am a relatively aggressive driver so I had to have the PUP haha.

I already have my T Sportline winter wheel and tire package sitting in my garage so I have a few months to decide if I’ll remount the Uberturbines or sell them and order a new set of lighter 20s.

MYP feels like it has been ignored since launch. There is no compelling reason, as you state, to purchase it over the LR now.

You have to deal with the awful 21” wheels and only get a slightly faster 0-60 and a slightly lowered suspension. It is no longer a compelling purchase.

ETA: I own one and am still waiting on Track Mode along with a slight performance boost.
That is the dilemma - there doesn't seem to be much compelling now (that warrants an $8000 premium) and significantly less range and fewer/non-existent tire options. However, if they were to offer the performance boost as they did on the LR I think it is compelling again (wish they'd default to a different tire size though).

As others have said, personal preference really. I chose the AWD LR + Performance boost. Made sense for me, I don't need the "show" but the "GO" sure is fun! The car (for me) is more of a family car as well, but the boost gives me some fun without anyone knowing about it... If it was intended to be my "fun" car, I would have ignored the range and gone for the added performance.

A good way to get an effective boost on the MYP is to drop down to 19" wheels. This will gain up to a 0.25 second in acceleration. Based on 0 to 60 online ICE calculators (assumes flywheel hp) it takes approximately 65 additional hp to gain 0.25 seconds, say from 3.55" to 3.30", assuming a 1' rollout. Thats an impressive gain.

So, comparing acceleration of the MYPs with 19" wheels is a bit more accurate comparison when highlighting the capabilities of the MYP.

I’m loving my PUP MY but would happily take a boost now that the LR has it available.

Comes down to a personal choice. $8k more gets a bit more speed and handling plus the stuff that makes you look different: big red brakes, carbon spoiler, underline badge(so cool!!!:cool:), and huge rims for which you only have one tire option. I am a relatively aggressive driver so I had to have the PUP haha.

I already have my T Sportline winter wheel and tire package sitting in my garage so I have a few months to decide if I’ll remount the Uberturbines or sell them and order a new set of lighter 20s.
Yeah the myp does have an edge in looks.

Anyone know how long the time was between when they rolled out the performance boost for the m3 awd vs the m3p? It seems like if they could have offered performance boost to the myp they would have already...which makes me think the current hardware can't really be boosted.

I agree. Been disappointed with the lack of love for the MYP. Yes, some things were assumed (better tuning of launch response eventually with better 0-60 times, track mode etc.) but even the range boost which we did get has been a disappointment. The Uberturbines look fantastic, but the ride is bad, they are going to wear out very quickly, the tire choices are non-existent. IF I had to do it over again "now" I would have just go with the LR AWD and got the performance boost, painted the calipers, added performance pedals and a spoiler myself, ordered 3rd Party wheels (which I did anyway) and still come out quite a bit $ ahead.

Anyone know how long the time was between when they rolled out the performance boost for the m3 awd vs the m3p?

You keep referring to this, and I think you might be misinformed? I have both. A M3P, and a MY AWD. There was never a performance boost option for the m3p that you could purchase. And you seem to think there was? There were a few free upgrades over time, but never an option to buy more performance.

Reactions: iamnid and pt19713
You keep referring to this, and I think you might be misinformed? I have both. A M3P, and a MY AWD. There was never a performance boost option for the m3p that you could purchase. And you seem to think there was? There were a few free upgrades over time, but never an option to buy more performance.
I logged in to post this.
OP might be waiting.... awhile.... for something that may never show up.

Looking at the dyno and power numbers from the MYP, I don't think they have any additional top end power and torque to sell. It appears the software has the low end power and torque limited but I don't see them selling an upgrade that impacts just 0-15 mph.

This. M3P never got a performance boost, so I kind of doubt the MYP will get such. Musk did confirm Track Mode for the MYP, so I think that may be the best we will get for it. Although, let's not forget that we're talking about Tesla here, they change things up all the time.

Reactions: iamnid

Semantics since he did say "offer" instead of added - Yes there was never an "option" or "offered", however there of course was a software update that improved 0-60 times for free automatically. That is probably what he is referring too.

Tesla Model 3 Performance's 0-60 mph acceleration dips below 3 seconds after software update - Electrek
Which I believe happened BEFORE the performance boost $2000 option for the regular AWD 3.

Semantics since he did say "offer" instead of added - Yes there was never an "option" or "offered", however there of course was a software update that improved 0-60 times for free automatically. That is probably what he is referring too.

Tesla Model 3 Performance's 0-60 mph acceleration dips below 3 seconds after software update - Electrek
Which I believe happened BEFORE the performance boost $2000 option for the regular AWD 3.
OP is referring to a cash upgrade, if you read through each of the posts.
ie "If Tesla offers a performance boost to the MYP for the same price they offered it on the LR I would put my order in tomorrow."

OP is referring to a cash upgrade, if you read through each of the posts.
ie "If Tesla offers a performance boost to the MYP for the same price they offered it on the LR I would put my order in tomorrow."

Again Semantics - I wasn't referring to the OP post - I was referring to quarmy - which kgoroway was responding to and he was earlier talking about the time in-between when they offered the performance boost for the 3AWD and the boost (which was free) for the 3P. The posts are going all over the place...