Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any other large drivers have problems getting into Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my Model 3 but the ergonomics of getting into the car are giving me second thoughts. I'm 6'2" (~250lbs) and whenever I get into the car I constantly hit me ribs on the door frame/seat belt ledge. My trick now is to put a hand on the ledge so I don't hit it so hard.

Any other tall/large drivers having this issue? Any tricks to getting into the Model 3? Why did Tesla build a ledge on this frame?

Love my Model 3 but the ergonomics of getting into the car are giving me second thoughts. I'm 6'2" (~250lbs) and whenever I get into the car I constantly hit me ribs on the door frame/seat belt ledge. My trick now is to put a hand on the ledge so I don't hit it so hard.

Any other tall/large drivers having this issue? Any tricks to getting into the Model 3? Why did Tesla build a ledge on this frame?
I'm about the same size. While I don't fully understand what you mean with where you hit your ribs, I do find it not super easy to get in and out of. Looking forward to the Y. Should be a little easier for us big guys.

Yup. I'm having the same issue. I've been playing with easy entry to help with the situation but I still end up hitting my side as I enter.

I find (both on our Model S and 3’s), that if I turn my body to the left as I’m about to get in (so I’m facing slightly away from the car and to where my butt is heading in sorta first) it’s much, MUCH easier.

Once partially in, I can then just turn my body directionally to the right (forward facing angle).

Reactions: HyperionMark
I'm 6-1 and 280. And old. My trouble is getting my pachydermal buttocks into the seat without beating the living daylights out of the weatherstripping on the front edge of the B-pillar. So I put in my right foot, pivot sideways to sit on the seat, and then turn again to pull in my left and make ready. Bit of a nuisance, but it's to get into a Tesla, and a small price to pay.

Reminds me of the running start at LeMans- what the hell, we're out here for 24 hours, what's your damned hurry?

I am a bit taller and weigh a bit less. I don’t have issues getting into the car. I put my left hand on the top of the door and just swing my body into the car. I am fairly athletic so I am not sure if that is the difference. I also use easy entry so I am able to glide right in.

Don't let the seat be all the way back. Bring it forward so that you hit the seat, that's what worked for me.

This. Position the wheel and seat farther forward than you think you need for auto exit/entry. It took me a while but I got it perfect.

Think of those lazy boy chairs for old people that help you stand up. That’s basically what I do with the seat. I’m your size.

I'm 6'4" and entry is so easy I don't pay much attention.

The only time I encounter issues is when I take my mom somewhere. She has some physical disabilities, and is also large (due to physical disabilities). So getting her in involves moving the seat all the way back, but up. Then wishing there was more room to get her feet in (she has large feet).

Then the seat belt hits her neck. I got a seat belt extender for any long trip.

On the rare times taking her places I really wish I would have gotten the X. I imagine getting in the X is easy.