Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any other Ontario owners unhappy about the increased rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ontario increased the rebate to $14000 for Model S owner by removing the luxury car cap at $75000. I find this very unfair to us 2016 owners who were only eligible for $3000. I registered mine in September 2016 (Model s 2016 model purchased new). I feel as an early adopter I am being penalized by the government for $11000. Since they are pushing green energy and EVs then they should be rewarding us instead of giving us less rebate. Are there other 2016 owners here?

• Disagree
Reactions: diesel
As a BC resident who gets $0 in incentives for any EV that has more than ~200km of range, no changing installation rebate, a higher tiered hydro bill, and have to pay 15% in tax, I don't have much sympathy. Coupled with the Canadian dollar, I feel pretty "punished" for choosing a Tesla.

But I understand, I would be bummed in your individual case too. I suppose they must draw the line somewhere. If they retroactively rebated everyone who bought within the last 6 months rather than 1, the person who bought 7 months ago would be upset.

Saying that, this isn't about handing out money or rewarding people, it's about incentivizing EV over ICE for every purchase going forward.

Sorry in advance for hijacking thread, I want to take advantage of the audience :)

If anyone knows a legal way I can have my Tesla delivered to Ontario and for me to get the incentive, I'm all ears. I'm willing to be an Ontario resident for a period of time and keep the vehicle registered/plated there too. I believe you need to do so for 1 year though which is a bit longer than I'd like to wait before being able to bring it back to BC hehehe

• Disagree
Ontario increased the rebate to $14000 for Model S owner by removing the luxury car cap at $75000. I find this very unfair to us 2016 owners who were only eligible for $3000. I registered mine in September 2016 (Model s 2016 model purchased new). I feel as an early adopter I am being penalized by the government for $11000. Since they are pushing green energy and EVs then they should be rewarding us instead of giving us less rebate. Are there other 2016 owners here?

Unfair how, exactly? You bought the car knowing you would get that particular rebate. The fact that new owners buying now get a new, higher rebate doesn't change that, or impact you, at all. Complaining because someone else got something nice, and damnit, you wanted the nicer looking cookie, is not a good look.

I used the $8500 in 2015 to buy solar panels which now run our Tesla 25000 km/yr for free. Panel costs have come down so consider doing the same and use Ontario's grid as storage during prime time production and as your source for off peak charging.

Instead of becoming angry, get even.

A small array is all that you need to run the car.

Reactions: diesel and Falkirk
Government rebates are to encourage people to buy the cars, why should they give them to people who already bought the cars? I notice you mention 2016 cars, since that's when you bought yours. But why stop there? By your logic shouldn't they go back and give rebates to everybody who ever bought a Tesla? Personally I don't consider a 2016 purchase an early adopter.

Sorry, no sympathy.

No sympathy but what is stopping you from selling your tesla back to tesla or to someone else and getting another teala so you can get the $14K rebate. Is the $14K rebate only available to new owner of EV only?
Increased depreceiation due to the new incentive. Now that would be reasonable to be miffed about IMO. It's not unfair to get exactly the rebate you budgeted for - and as others have said, it to enourage EV adoption, apparently you needed less incentive than they now deem necessary. Didn't the prices go up in Canada late in the year?

As others have said, the whole point of an incentive is to incentivize someone into taking an action (in this case, buy an EV) where without the extra money, they would not be able to. It is not intended to be a "reward" for being a good citizen or whatever. The province really does need to do a proper effectiveness evaluation on these incentives because if they are paying out incentive money to people who would be buying the car anyway, it should end (waste of taxpayers' money). I'm not saying we're there yet, but it is important to keep in mind the real reason why incentives exist at all.

Each of your responses makes sense. I was not trying to drum up sympathy but rather see if other Ontario owners felt the same. I felt it was unfair that a car with the base cost of $96k plus is now being advertised in Ontario for $81500. Need it or not, regardless of how much money you have, this does make a difference. When I bought the car, the $3000 was not the decision making factor but honestly, if it was $14000 it would be.

I have to agree with mknox - if you can afford a Tesla S or X, then you shouldn't be relying on incentives. If the Ontario government even decides to charge a road usage fee/tax, what's the problem? That helps maintain our piss-poor roads. Most luxury cars take a ding anyway because they're gas guzzlers. Keep the incentives for the meantime for lower priced EVs as an incentive to go green (including the model 3) to maximize converting people away from ICE cars. It's going to be an interesting next couple of years as EVs become more mainstream.

That all said, note that those who leased may have a chance to get some additional monies simply because the incentive is taken over 3 years.

By the way, early adopters should be those who got in early (2014 or earlier) - by 2016 it's been around long enough that it's a choice, but not an "early adoption".

There are 10 kinds of people: the ones that understand binary and the ones that don't.

No wait, that's not it.

There are 2 kinds of people: those that are happy for others (future owners can get $14k instead of $3k, woohoo!) and those that wallow in self pity (it's unfair I didn't get the $14k!).

While I'd be mildly annoyed that I didn't get it too, and would've run a bunch of could've/would've/should've scenarios in my head, what'd done is done. You didn't get it, no need to be perpetually upset about it.

Unfair how, exactly? You bought the car knowing you would get that particular rebate. The fact that new owners buying now get a new, higher rebate doesn't change that, or impact you, at all. Complaining because someone else got something nice, and damnit, you wanted the nicer looking cookie, is not a good look.

Unfair in the sense that People in Ontario paid $96000 base price for a car and then a few days later that same car is now advertised at $82000. If you bought a car for $150k on December 29th and then the same car is not $136k, would that not effect you? Some people in Ontario paid way almost 15% more than what they would have paid a few days later (which would be your December buyers).

There are 10 kinds of people: the ones that understand binary and the ones that don't.

No wait, that's not it.

There are 2 kinds of people: those that are happy for others (future owners can get $14k instead of $3k, woohoo!) and those that wallow in self pity (it's unfair I didn't get the $14k!).

While I'd be mildly annoyed that I didn't get it too, and would've run a bunch of could've/would've/should've scenarios in my head, what'd done is done. You didn't get it, no need to be perpetually upset about it.

What are you upset about?

I am not wallowing in self pity but rather expressing my frustration. Most people on this thread disagree with it but they have chosen to explain their disagreement with valid points.

I have to agree with mknox - if you can afford a Tesla S or X, then you shouldn't be relying on incentives. If the Ontario government even decides to charge a road usage fee/tax, what's the problem? That helps maintain our piss-poor roads. Most luxury cars take a ding anyway because they're gas guzzlers. Keep the incentives for the meantime for lower priced EVs as an incentive to go green (including the model 3) to maximize converting people away from ICE cars. It's going to be an interesting next couple of years as EVs become more mainstream.

That all said, note that those who leased may have a chance to get some additional monies simply because the incentive is taken over 3 years.

By the way, early adopters should be those who got in early (2014 or earlier) - by 2016 it's been around long enough that it's a choice, but not an "early adoption".

You are correct. 2014 is earlier than 2016. Cheers and thanks.

What are you upset about?
Nothing? :confused:

I am not wallowing in self pity but rather expressing my frustration. Most people on this thread disagree with it but they have chosen to explain their disagreement with valid points.
That's a fine line, we'll have to disagree on which of it you're on.

And I expressed my disagreement about sentiment with a valid point. Instead of saying woe is me, you could look at it from the other perspective: Now more people can afford to buy a Tesla in Toronto. Maybe those extra $10k were the barrier for a lot of people. More Teslas = more EVs = more charging infrastructure, etc. etc. etc.