Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any other owners second guess if their next car should be another Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really like the Rivian product but have real concerns that at least some of these recent start up manufacturers will go under. I don't want to be stuck with a Packard, Tucker, or even a Saturn. However Rivian has a better chance of making it than some of the others and the product is truly quality through and through.

If Rivian shuts down and a proprietary unusual part breaks down people could end up with a 6 figure paperweight, and I just can't afford that personally.
This is the conundrum an EV buyer is in. Many of the traditional automakers don't have stellar records and are new to EVs making people eschew them but at least the company is more likely to be there. The newer startups have the benefit on not being encumbered by their history but also don't have any history. One always takes a bit of a risk when purchasing a product from a young company, but when the product costs $75-100k that risk is magnified.

Tesla is far from perfect, but at least they've been around for a while. I do still have some concerns about their trajectory but I think some of their problems are related to the extremely rapid growth they've experienced in the last 3-4 years and I really hope they figure things out.

It will be interesting to see how many of these new companies survive. I expect some may be bought out, too. If the entire company is sold that at least gives some hope for current owners. I can also see a case where another company simply buys the intellectual property, leaving current owners high and dry.

I really like the Rivian product but have real concerns that at least some of these recent start up manufacturers will go under. I don't want to be stuck with a Packard, Tucker, or even a Saturn. However Rivian has a better chance of making it than some of the others and the product is truly quality through and through.

If Rivian shuts down and a proprietary unusual part breaks down people could end up with a 6 figure paperweight, and I just can't afford that personally.
@Suns_PSD That's an extremely valid concern. You could also apply those exact words to Tesla when we bought our Model S. Need to evaluate your own risk tolerances and whether the ride is worth it to you!

(Well neither our Model S nor our future R1T was / will be 6 figures...but certainly pricey and not too far off either after TTL.)

Knock on wood, so far so good with my MYLR. Only thing I noticed, unfortunately more than 24 hours after delivery so Telsa claimed they couldn't do anything, was a deep scratch on the front bumper which I'm pretty sure wasn't there when I picked it up but when I had to bring it back same day to get an alignment as the steering wheel was off, I didn't recheck the car. Plus a small panel gap on the rear bumper, but it's only noticeable when I hand wash the car.

What might drive me to seek another car though is the ever mounting "minor things" that drive me a bit nuts in a CAD$95k car after taxes. To some extent Tesla reminds me of Apple in their stubborness to improve simple things. E.g., inability to drag and drop radio stations where you want them. The browser is terrible. The lack of Carplay or Android Auto, or, really all I want is Waze that doesn't look like it's from 1992 (Teslawaze browser that also hiccups at times). Lack of ventilated seats (seriously?). The heating/cooling fan system isn't the greatest I find. The fact that they refuse to allow the user to determine whether they want regen braking on, off etc (which for those of us that have black ice in the winter is an issie with off ramps in particular...not looking forward to that).

Each one individually isn't much of a bother, combined though and it really takes away from the driving experience and the vast majority are not difficult fixes.

Having said that, I drove my wife's 2018 Q5 yesterday after having driven the Y in that period. While the Q5 is a much softer/easier ride suspension wise, I found myself missing the simplicity of the Y and the much sportier feel. But my god were those ventilated seats in the Q5 helpful in 100 degree humidity weather....well, after I let the car cool down for 5 minutes without the helpful use of my phone that is.

• Informative
Reactions: Gy2020 and tm1v2
Knock on wood, so far so good with my MYLR. Only thing I noticed, unfortunately more than 24 hours after delivery so Telsa claimed they couldn't do anything, was a deep scratch on the front bumper which I'm pretty sure wasn't there when I picked it up but when I had to bring it back same day to get an alignment as the steering wheel was off, I didn't recheck the car. Plus a small panel gap on the rear bumper, but it's only noticeable when I hand wash the car.

What might drive me to seek another car though is the ever mounting "minor things" that drive me a bit nuts in a CAD$95k car after taxes. To some extent Tesla reminds me of Apple in their stubborness to improve simple things. E.g., inability to drag and drop radio stations where you want them. The browser is terrible. The lack of Carplay or Android Auto, or, really all I want is Waze that doesn't look like it's from 1992 (Teslawaze browser that also hiccups at times). Lack of ventilated seats (seriously?). The heating/cooling fan system isn't the greatest I find. The fact that they refuse to allow the user to determine whether they want regen braking on, off etc (which for those of us that have black ice in the winter is an issie with off ramps in particular...not looking forward to that).

Each one individually isn't much of a bother, combined though and it really takes away from the driving experience and the vast majority are not difficult fixes.

Having said that, I drove my wife's 2018 Q5 yesterday after having driven the Y in that period. While the Q5 is a much softer/easier ride suspension wise, I found myself missing the simplicity of the Y and the much sportier feel. But my god were those ventilated seats in the Q5 helpful in 100 degree humidity weather....well, after I let the car cool down for 5 minutes without the helpful use of my phone that is.
Your 2018 Q5 doesn’t have remote start and temp control functionality? Even my 2014 SRX will blast the AC if it’s remote started on a hot day.

But brand new cars from competitors do have this functionality including the E-tron. My 2021 Genesis comes with an app where I can start it remotely, run diagnostics, snap pictures of its surroundings and send them to my phone, and monitor a huge whack of data from the vehicle.

The electrified GV70 and GV80 will probably (hopefully) give the completion a serious run for its money

Your 2018 Q5 doesn’t have remote start and temp control functionality? Even my 2014 SRX will blast the AC if it’s remote started on a hot day.

But brand new cars from competitors do have this functionality including the E-tron. My 2021 Genesis comes with an app where I can start it remotely, run diagnostics, snap pictures of its surroundings and send them to my phone, and monitor a huge whack of data from the vehicle.

The electrified GV70 and GV80 will probably (hopefully) give the completion a serious run for its money
Nope, heck, they didn't even allow it as an option. They claimed something about German laws which did not allow idling. Pretty sure BMW didn't have it either.

That GV70 EV looks sweet.

Last edited:
Long time Model X owner here, late 2016 vintage. My wife is about due for a new vehicle as her current A4 is almost 13 years old and showing it’s age. We’ve been thinking about a Y or a 3 for her but I’m getting second thoughts with everything going on, including price hikes, delivery delays, reports of service and parts issues, Tesla company antics, and Elon seeming more unhinged. I was looking at EV offerings from other companies but no one can match the range or charging infrastructure of Tesla.

I love my Model X but it had its share of service issues. Luckily my local service center has been good to me but there’s only so much volume they can handle unless more centers open.

Anyone else with similar concerns?
Prior to placing the order for my M Y this past January I test drove the Mercedes EQS that had a sticker price of $120k
Shortly after that test drive I placed my Tesla order. I'm still waiting for the VIN but I have patience.

This is the conundrum an EV buyer is in. Many of the traditional automakers don't have stellar records and are new to EVs making people eschew them but at least the company is more likely to be there. The newer startups have the benefit on not being encumbered by their history but also don't have any history. One always takes a bit of a risk when purchasing a product from a young company, but when the product costs $75-100k that risk is magnified.

Tesla is far from perfect, but at least they've been around for a while. I do still have some concerns about their trajectory but I think some of their problems are related to the extremely rapid growth they've experienced in the last 3-4 years and I really hope they figure things out.

It will be interesting to see how many of these new companies survive. I expect some may be bought out, too. If the entire company is sold that at least gives some hope for current owners. I can also see a case where another company simply buys the intellectual property, leaving current owners high and dry.
Turbulent days. IMO, Tesla holds senior position in EV engineering. Build quality is one thing (and Tesla,being more of a tech company, is not the best at it), but knowing how to ramp the product, how to update it (only Tesla and Nio can OTA update both software and firmware), how to maneuver parts shortages by engineering in- house… only Tesla. There are many compelling designs slated to appear, but until they materialize and ESTABLISH credibility, Tesla is the safest choice. Case in point, have you seen the Mustang Mach E recall? Almost ALL of them have contactors that can overheat and weld closed. And the Bolt…massive recall for battery fires.

Rivian and Lucid look to have great kit, but they’re losing money on each car they build until they can produce volume. As great as they are odds are stacked against them (Tesla has been there…).