Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any other owners second guess if their next car should be another Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my Y, but at the price point now I would not purchase or lease it. There are so many options coming within the next 24 months. The Model 3 was suppose to be their affordable car. It started out being $35,000 and it's now $50,000. Pricing is out of control and the build quality is still questionable.

It's like what Churchill supposedly said about democracy. It's the worst except for all the other systems that have been tried. Tesla's awful but the other car companies are so much worse. Here's hoping Ford is able to separate itself from its dealerships like they seem to be planning. Getting rid of stealerships would go a long way toward competing with Tesla. Then the rest will work itself out over time. More charging stations opening, supply of new vehicles catching up with demand, etc. Then the pressure will finally be on Tesla to compete. A rising tide floats all boats.
A rising tide also sinks the leaky boats.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
If one compares car companies that have years of building and development experience with car companies that have only months of experience, Tesla is the clear winner, despite the fact that most other EV cars are still mostly promises. Add to that the fact that a Tesla owner can go on vacation and not worry at all about being able to charge every hundred miles or be able to top up in thirty minutes or so, no one else comes even close. Ford/GM/Toyota/etc. have zero charging infrastructure, deciding instead to use CHAdeMO or independent L2 charging, all of it SLOW enough that I've seem owners have their wives follow them to the chargers and leave the car charging while they go on back home. What a waste of time. I wouldn't own anything else.

I was fortunate to put in my order for my Y a year ago, before the huge increases in price. Sadly, I would not buy the car today at current prices. As for the next one, that's years off and who knows how the market will look. If I were to rule out a Tesla, I have a feeling it would be more to do with my current annoyance with Musk, rather than the car itself.

Mine won’t be. it will either be an EQE, i4, or a Taycan.

Terrible Yoke, badly designed UI, mediocre service, cheap interiors, too much road noise, vision-only, and hence mediocre ADAS have made me rethink Tesla after 10 years of being with them.

I won’t be buying anything outright, leasing instead, since I don’t yet trust the EA charging network, and there will be initial bugs with new cars.

No. I bought my first Tesla this year, and the build quality was top notch. We are already looking at replacing our last legacy ICE vehicle with another Tesla.

Local service center has been great to work with, even pushing up a service appointment because they were available sooner.

Delivery only took 6 weeks.

It is a lovely vehicle, and (by far) the best vehicle I have ever owned, or drove.

Except for the Elon-related issues, all of the issues you list are affecting all car manufacturers. The last couple of winters there were 10,000+ Ford pickups sitting in snow waiting for modules. And now Ford is going to nerf the acceleration and top speed of all existing Mustang Mach-Es to prevent them from catching on fire.

In addition, they have the whole dead dealership model in their future. Already the Ford CEO is saying they are going to direct sales to customers with no markup and likely direct delivery, for all EVs. What does the dealer become in this scenario? And you know the other brands must be at least investigating this.

So I plan on sticking with Tesla for now, because for all their faults, they are ahead of the EV competition. But, we will continue to evaluate the other brands EVs. We lease 2 vehicles every 3 years and right now those are a 3 and X. Maybe next year there will be a better 3-class vehicle and we will lease one of those.

I don't own a Tesla, just shopping.

But there is solid competition coming online.

It seems that if on road charging is a factor (as in, no 3rd car with an ICE) Tesla is still your best bet.

GL
And the charging story is getting a little better. New Teslas support CCS (Electrify America, etc.) fast charging in addition to Tesla Superchargers. You just have to buy a $300 CCS to Tesla adaptor.

It depends on where charging options are headed, but at the current price point, I would not get another MY. I don't feel it is worth $12K for the same car, and can't justify paying more used than I did new. But also not looking to get rid of my MY, so my decision is about a 2nd car. I don't really need 300 miles of range in a 2nd car, and there are plenty of 250-275 mile range out there for much less.

Not even close.
Even though I was angry at how negligently they handled every single one of my deliveries and the thought of going back to other brands crossed my mind every time. Looking at the big picture though the total experience is heads and shoulders above other brands.
Tesla Driving, convenience and practicality is unbeatable, by far. The service experience has on balance been better than others. All that together feel subjectively to me 3 times better than the next best competitor.
I absolutely despise spending my time talking cars with people who know next to nothing about them, which was the case with most dealers I met over the years. The absence of dealer is worth about 50% extra to me.

That means I value my Tesla experience almost 5 times the best competitor.

if It weren’t for this: I admire that everyone at Tesla works relentlessly to improve our environment and our safety. They might as well have worked at Apple, GM or VW and gotten the same pay for half the work, especially before the big run up. Compare this with the so called competition that fights tooth and nail to slow down clean energy and has sued several states that want cleaner air. This discrepancy is worth another factor of 5 to me.

so 5x for the user value and another 5x for the “wallet vote”

That means that if the best competitor improved their performance/price with a factor of 25 I would consider.

We already have a 2020 Kia Niro EV, and for how we use it as a daily runabout mostly for errands, it's perfect. I even took it up to LA from San Diego just to see how big hassle charging it would be, and it really wasn't all that different than our Y, just need to plan in advance. That said, I just put a $250 deposit down on a Fisker Pear, mainly to try to take advantage of the $7500 tax credit down the line. Between our 2012 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2020 Kia Niro, and a 2020 Clarity PHEV, we've managed to take advantage of the tax credit 4 times! The crazy pandemic inflation also allowed us to sell the Clarity and a Model 3 at really favorable figures too. We're happy with our Model Y LR, but it seems like the Supercharger advantage will lessen over time, particularly if Tesla starts to allow other makes to charge along side. We're pretty easy on the Y, so as long as she keeps humming along, we're in no hurry to replace her.

I like MY, but because of the price and lack of BSD, Apple Siris, android and build quality. I would look at another manufacturer to see what they are offering. As of now the only thing that I see that separates Tesla from everyone else would be the charging network. Other manufactures are slowly catching up. 0-60 is not a big issue to me anymore, and the OTA for movies and games has gotten old. SO, Tesla would not be my first choice again

Reactions: sleepydoc
It depends on where charging options are headed, but at the current price point, I would not get another MY. I don't feel it is worth $12K for the same car, and can't justify paying more used than I did new. But also not looking to get rid of my MY, so my decision is about a 2nd car. I don't really need 300 miles of range in a 2nd car, and there are plenty of 250-275 mile range out there for much less.
but you can't consider the Y at last year's prices. It doesn't exist anymore. The competition also changed. The EV6/I5 that seems like a very reasonable competitor at the MSRP and EV tax credit actually costs considerably more. The PHEV options can cost just as much as a YP (I was quoted 68k for the Lexus NX450h in February), Ford's MME has blown up as mentioned, and the trucks are sold out for years. So it still comes down to what can you place an order for today?

@kelpcar Our automobile needs have evolved, and we're only a family of 3 so no need for a 3 row SUV. Many things we'd rather put in a truck bed than the cabin of a nice brand new high end vehicle.
fair enough. I see the R1T most of the week, as my neighbor is a test engineer. They stole 1.5 feet from the bed to give the interior as much space as any SUV would. For me, years ago I had a truck and the problem for me was the stuff needed to be contained, or moved into my tiny backseat (was the Toy Truck 4x4) when I left the vehicle.