Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any other owners second guess if their next car should be another Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like MY, but because of the price and lack of BSD, Apple Siris, android and build quality. I would look at another manufacturer to see what they are offering. As of now the only thing that I see that separates Tesla from everyone else would be the charging network. Other manufactures are slowly catching up. 0-60 is not a big issue to me anymore, and the OTA for movies and games has gotten old. SO, Tesla would not be my first choice again
There is a freeware app that allows you to use Android Auto in a Tesla (TeslAA) without adding any additional hardware. The advantage over the Tesla stock UI is negligible. Siri is better than Tesla's implementation of voice commands, but it's still not all that good IMO.

Long time Model X owner here, late 2016 vintage. My wife is about due for a new vehicle as her current A4 is almost 13 years old and showing it’s age. We’ve been thinking about a Y or a 3 for her but I’m getting second thoughts with everything going on, including price hikes, delivery delays, reports of service and parts issues, Tesla company antics, and Elon seeming more unhinged. I was looking at EV offerings from other companies but no one can match the range or charging infrastructure of Tesla.

I love my Model X but it had its share of service issues. Luckily my local service center has been good to me but there’s only so much volume they can handle unless more centers open.

Anyone else with similar concerns?

My next EV will be a truck, and it will not look like a stainless steel wedge drawn by a 6 year old, so it will not be a Tesla :)

As far as range and charging infrastructure, nobody matches Tesla's "on paper" range, but many match or exceed Tesla range in the real world, and I purchased a CCS adapter from Korea because the CCS network is pretty damn good now a days and getting better all the time. Before I had my MYP, I drove my Chevy Bolt anywhere I wanted to go in the US and the only problem was the slow charging speed... and that is a problem with the Bolt, not the infrastructure.

Later,

Keith

Wow, great responses. That’s why I keep coming to this forum. I’m still not sure what we are going to do. It may be a 3 or a Y, but the ID.4 AWD looks compelling. I got 90K miles on my X, and I dread when I hit 100K and not covered by the extended warranty.

The problem with any other automaker including VW is their battery tech and battery management system is not as sophisticated as Teslas. I have zero expectation that other brands will be able to maintain 80% original range a decade and hundreds of thousands of miles into the life of the pack.

The only thing that gives me pause is paying so much more for essentially the same car if/when a second car is needed (same spec’d car has already gone up 30% in price from when our current was ordered).

But all things considered, there is currently no other car we’d entertain. Before our 2022 MYLR we had 3 Audis, 3 Infinitis, and 2 BMWs in the past 15 years and although I loved them all the Tesla all in all comes out on top, despite possibly giving up some points to other OEMs in some aspects.

A second for us would be another MY or a M3. The S and X are too much for us to stomach. We always pay cash for our cars and the S and X base in Canada are $171K and $198K, respectively all in.

Nope, we own a 2020 LR Y purchased almost 2 years ago and have ordered a PMY to replace it.

People joke about Tesla owners being BETA TESTERS. Then what the hell would be buying some other manufactures EV today - ALPHA TESTERS.
Could also argue that ICE drivers are Beta Testers for planet earth, testing how much emissions it can tolerate.

Will definitely consider other makes. Overall I like our MY. Pros for me:
  • Lots of storage
  • Nice driver, passenger room
  • Autopilot
  • I enjoy FSD but it's still at the gimmick level
Cons:
  • The suspension sucks. For $60-80k I expect something better than a go kart.
  • TACC has improved but is still about the worst adaptive cruise system on the market
  • No CarPlay.
  • The general UI is still full of unnecessary compromises and evidence of poor design planning.
  • The nags for autopilot and FSD. None of the attention monitoring systems reliably work as intended
Overall it seems like we just keep getting advanced beta versions of software. For something like TACC, there's no excuse. Adaptive cruise is a standard feature that virtually every other carmaker manages to implement flawlessly or nearly flawlessly. The saving grace with most of my complaints is that it's possible to fix them with a software update. Given the slow pace of improvements I'm becoming less hopeful.

I get the impression that Tesla is focusing all it's resources on FSD rather than making top notch cars in every other area. My fear is that there are many other makers coming up fast and they may become the Blackberry of the EV world.

It'll probably (hopefully) be 5+ years before I look at getting a new car, so by that time I would hope that there are a lot of great options besides Tesla. I would do my due diligence and try to pick the best car for me. Whether or not it's another Tesla depends on how they stack up with the competition at that time.

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the hell out of my MYP!

Nope, we own a 2020 LR Y purchased almost 2 years ago and have ordered a PMY to replace it.

People joke about Tesla owners being BETA TESTERS. Then what the hell would be buying some other manufactures EV today - ALPHA TESTERS.
There are two problems with the name ‘ FSD Beta ‘.

One, it’s not full self driving, and two, it’s alpha, not beta.

I'm not second guessing at all that I want our next vehicle to be another Tesla. Our 2021 Model 3 SR+ is a blast to drive and has proven that it's less expensive to operate, even on a road trip than a standard ICE vehicle. We are just hoping the Model Y isn't priced out of our budget now that Tesla has upped the price again, and even the used ones are super expensive. We test drove a preowned MY yesterday and my wife and I both really liked it, except for the white interior and the price, lol.

Reactions: tm1v2
Given that just about any EV model has an extended waiting period, you will need to put in an order and get in line. I've thought of the Ford EF-150 due to the ability to power the house during an outage. But, that "ability" requires a minimum of 320A service coming into the house and a dedicated 80A circuit to the outlet. As most houses currently do not have 320+A service into the house, nor the 80A circuit to the outlet, that would mean even more costs.
Can you provide a source for this? Why on Earth would your service size have anything to do with V2H? By definition, if the vehicle is providing power, your house must be isolated from the grid so your service drop is not in the picture. This does not make any sense. Maybe they are using service size as a shorthand to make sure your panel capacity is high enough to distribute the power?
The problem with any other automaker including VW is their battery tech and battery management system is not as sophisticated as Teslas. I have zero expectation that other brands will be able to maintain 80% original range a decade and hundreds of thousands of miles into the life of the pack.
I believe the opposite is true. No other manufacturer uses as much of their pack's usable capacity as Tesla. That is how Tesla gets such good range numbers. They let you really charge to 100% and really run it down to 0%. Other manufacturers hide more of the top and bottom than Tesla. These shallower cycles will mean better battery longevity over time, not less.

Further, I don't believe anyone else has battery manufacturing in-house so they must go with off the shelf chemistries and configurations from LG, CATL, SK, etc. Those manufacturers tend to be conservative with their specs as they don't want the liability of not meeting the specs down the line.

For the OP, I can say that after my recent experience ordering my MX Plaid, Tesla is no longer at the top of my list. The powertrain is outstanding - no question. But the UI has gone from bad to worse. Where the F is the button for the glovebox? It either takes multiple button presses on a screen or I guess you can disrupt everyone in the car by using a voice command. These kinds of decisions penetrate every aspect of the car. The yoke is an absolute joke. Customer Service during the process was nonexistent. Phantom Braking makes Cruise Control useless. And on and on and on.

While waiting for my MX I leased a Volvo XC40 Recharge. They have a ways to go to make the car more efficient (Wh/mi was quite high) but when it comes to driving and how I interface with the car, it was miles ahead of any Tesla. Further, none of their OTA updates broke anything that previously worked. Tesla has done this numerous times. Volvo also sent me an email before the OTA update came out with a link to the Release Notes that listed what was new, what was fixed, etc.

I will definitely be looking at other cars when it's time for a new one. I currently like the Lotus Eletra and the EQS SUV. As a former Corvette driver (C6), an electric Corvette sounds interesting as well.

The good news is that the other manufacturers are finally waking up and delivering compelling products, not just compliance vehicles. As more and more EVs hit the road, charging will get better as there will be an incentive to provide charging to paying customers.

I do still love Tesla and I hope that people voting with their wallets will force Tesla to fix these things.

I have a reservation on a R1T but if push came to shove and I could take delivery today - I am not 100% sure I would give up my MYP for it. That being said I am very excited to see the specs of the Polestar 3 and 5. Both look stunning and if range/acceleration/price numbers are on par I could see picking up the 3 for the wife and the 5 for me. The only thing certain is there is no going back to ICE for me.

I really like the Rivian product but have real concerns that at least some of these recent start up manufacturers will go under. I don't want to be stuck with a Packard, Tucker, or even a Saturn. However Rivian has a better chance of making it than some of the others and the product is truly quality through and through.

If Rivian shuts down and a proprietary unusual part breaks down people could end up with a 6 figure paperweight, and I just can't afford that personally.

Last edited: