Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any other VW GTI or Golf R converts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had tons of VW over the years, until VW started lying about how clean their diesel cars were I was a huge fan.

1969 Beetle Convertible
1971 SuperBeetle Convertible
1972 Transporter
1983 Rabbit GTi
1989 8v Golf
1988 8v Jetta
1990 Corrado G60 with Syncro conversion stripped out of a Canadian Passat
1992 VW Motorsport Golf Limited #49 with 16vG60 with factory Syncro awd
1997 VW GTi with VR6 swap

After I sold the Corrado, I also gave away all my ICE-specific tools like my compression tester, fuel pressure tester, timing light, ring compressor, bore re-surfacing brush. I have happily not had to cover myself in the combustion products of petroleum products while working on the Tesla.

I have had my M3P for 3 years and 93k miles. I take it to the track a few times a year, and will never buy another ICE car in my life. It has taken me on a coast-to-coast round trip, and several other 2-5k road trips.

I have had tons of VW over the years, until VW started lying about how clean their diesel cars were I was a huge fan.

1969 Beetle Convertible
1971 SuperBeetle Convertible
1972 Transporter
1983 Rabbit GTi
1989 8v Golf
1988 8v Jetta
1990 Corrado G60 with Syncro conversion stripped out of a Canadian Passat
1992 VW Motorsport Golf Limited #49 with 16vG60 with factory Syncro awd
1997 VW GTi with VR6 swap

After I sold the Corrado, I also gave away all my ICE-specific tools like my compression tester, fuel pressure tester, timing light, ring compressor, bore re-surfacing brush. I have happily not had to cover myself in the combustion products of petroleum products while working on the Tesla.

I have had my M3P for 3 years and 93k miles. I take it to the track a few times a year, and will never buy another ICE car in my life. It has taken me on a coast-to-coast round trip, and several other 2-5k road trips.

93k miles in 3 years?! that's a lot of driving! or FSD-ing / Autopiloting 😆

Danny

Reactions: Vines
Yes! Love these little German hatchbacks ;)

Previous MKV GTI
3.jpg

4.jpg

Previous MK7 GTI
mk7gti.jpg
2.jpg

Current Model 3
View attachment 757305
View attachment 757306
View attachment 757307

Danny
I always love seeing what cars people gravitate from! I really did love my VW and would've probably bought another if they had the ID.3 in the US.

• Love
Reactions: MODEL+
Danny - is Forggiato ever going to come out with a 19" of this wheel? I really want a very nice looking Aero wheel for the Model 3 and there are just incredibly few choices on the market that look half decent. Quite strange actually given the exploding volumes of EVs.
Danny - is Forggiato ever going to come out with a 19" of this wheel? I really want a very nice looking Aero wheel for the Model 3 and there are just incredibly few choices on the market that look half decent. Quite strange actually given the exploding volumes of EVs.
Hi @Sasmf ,

19" is very unlikely by Forgiato. They just released the second iteration for their EV line, the EV002. Same spec and same concept.
forgiato-ev002.png

These will be going on our car very soon ;)

1642613444212.jpeg

Danny

4CDC16FF-5404-43AC-A4D6-3EB4EE658B47.jpeg

Maybe I'm an AWD snob but the Mk8 GTI does nothing for me. The front end looks terrible. The R pulls off the design much better.

But, either way, the MQB platform is fantastic.
I had a Mk6 R, great car. The GTI is actually livelier and more tossable, not my thing but the GTI has more road feel. Regarding the front end, I like it better than the Model 3 LOL. But you are absolutely correct in the platform, the MQB is fantastic!!!!!!

I had a 2017 mk7 golf r. It was a fantastic car. It was plenty quick, handled well, hatchback, and was the ultimate sleeper car when tuned. I really enjoyed the visibility and the refinement of the interior. The 6 speed was ehh in that car and the clutch had to be replaced to get tuned. The dsg version is definitely the way to go IMO

I drove manual transmission cars for over 50 years. My last ICE cars were two BMW 128 6MT coupes; 2009 and then 2013 for a combined 180,000 miles. High-mileage BMWs are very needy and expensive to maintain but…hydraulic steering! That was the hardest thing to give up. There were no ICE cars at any price that met my needs (small, premium, MT, good steering feel) So I sold the 128 to a fellow enthusiast and made the leap to a new 2022 M3 LR AWD. Most surprising is that I don’t miss the MT because the regen is very much like the engine braking that MT provides. My only complaints about the M3 are:

1) poor rear and rear 3/4 visibility
2) awful UI shortcomings related to lack of physical controls for key functions (lights, wipers, HVAC)
3) limited service options (I like the ability to choose among dealers)
4) size (I prefer small cars)

At the age of 68, I’m looking forward to all of the new cars and improved technology that will be arriving in the next few years.

A hatchback Model 3 is a Model Y. Yes, please.

There is quite a stretch between a Model Y and a GTI about the length (+47 cm or 18") and heigh (+ 17 cm or 7.7")

I think the VW Golf All-Track would be closer to the Model Y or Model 3 size wize.

Yes, it is a pitty that the Model 3 was not a hatchback, like for example the Polestar 2.

A smaller Model 3 Hatchback (as possible AWD) would be great, both for size and price.

MY - VW AT - M3 - P2 - GTI .jpg

Last edited:
I looked at many MK7s before buying my 3. They’re fun! Just yesterday an R driver decided to show me what he could do. They become rockets when tuned.

Golf R32, Bratislava's pride, my first 6MT AWD smoker, never drove any other kind after that as it was followed by S60R, TurboX, and finally the B8 S4. Never drove an automatic smoker my entire life. I still have the special high quality steel pen that came with the car.
VW-Golf-R32-1ab.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up