Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any owners that have owned both the black and the white interiors? Have questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a Black on Black S and Red on White X for 4 years.

Loved them with the white being far more elegant. Both held up beautifully with three teenage boys.

For ‘21/22 we went with a Red on White YP and I had ordered a MSM on White Plaid.

Long story short I ended up with Red on Black.

I really like the white seats on the Y. But not so keen on the perforated ones in the S.

White often looks a bit too bright and black is at times like a cave.

Neither makes one regret not getting the other.

Last edited:

Loved them with the white being far more elegant. Both held up beautifully with three teenage boys.

For ‘21/22 we went with a Red on White YP and I had ordered a MSM on White Plaid.

I really like the white seats on the Y. But not so keen on the perforated ones in the S.

Neither one makes on regret not getting the other.
Yeah this is my big dilemma. It feels like 2 extremes. White is too bright and black is too dim. Wish they offered more options for the model 3. Im leaning towards getting white exterior black interior for model 3.

But I do like the fact that white seats don’t get as hot, but it isn’t a big factor living in Seattle (although that will change given global warming :()

Had the black interior in my blue M3. Have white interior on new M3 after falling in love with how it looks and how it adds character to the minimalist interior. White just looks "happier" to me. It’s a personal decision at the end of the day, regardless.

I have a MSLR in order. Plus, I have car seats I’ll need to install. I’m doing a black exterior, do you recommend the white or black interior? Also, thoughts on wheels- 19” vs 21” ? I live in socal so the roads are fairly nice out here. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

I have a MSLR in order. Plus, I have car seats I’ll need to install. I’m doing a black exterior, do you recommend the white or black interior? Also, thoughts on wheels- 19” vs 21” ? I live in socal so the roads are fairly nice out here. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

1. I’m a fan of the black seats on the S. Not fond of perforated in white. My personal opinion is black on black is super sexy. I’d get a seat protector for the car seats regardless. There was a Lion brand I really liked for our kids some two decades back.
  2. We have the larger wheels on both the MYP and MSPlaid. Love ‘em. We are also in SoCal. Wife does not complain about them on her Y so the ride is acceptable. I had the standard wheels on my ‘17S with non/active suspension. Plaid ride is smoother with the 21’s but I’m sure the suspension is a big factor.
Not sure if any of this helps, but is feedback for what it is worth. :)

Reactions: hwasu
  1. I’m a fan of the black seats on the S. Not fond of perforated in white. My personal opinion is black on black is super sexy. I’d get a seat protector for the car seats regardless. There was a Lion brand I really liked for our kids some two decades back.
  2. We have the larger wheels on both the MYP and MSPlaid. Love ‘em. We are also in SoCal. Wife does not complain about them on her Y so the ride is acceptable. I had the standard wheels on my ‘17S with non/active suspension. Plaid ride is smoother with the 21’s but I’m sure the suspension is a big factor.

Two Teslas in the family - how sweet. I just got my wife the Audi etron few months back. This is actually really helpful. I, also do agree that black on black is really sharp. I’m sure your black looks awesome with the carbon fiber trim. Unfortunately, the plaid is out of my price range so I can only settle for the LR - I don’t mind the perforated seats on the white, but more so just concerned with the upkeep with the little ones. I guess since I’ve always had black interiors, something about the white is appealing ya know? On the wheel selection, I’ll def go with the 21”s

Reactions: Ohmster
Do you have any good recommendations for ppf, paint correction and tint down in south oc? There is this place called RPM Tesla close to where I live but curious to see where you go

If I got white interior, I would probably do red on white, blue on white, or white/white
E9CBF1BD-FA52-41B0-B042-51FEC2F40EA7.jpeg

I love the red and white now , was not sure in the beginning.

I’m slightly leaning black interior because it’s more cozy feeling. But I looked at used teslas (just to see how the interiors hold up over time) and the black looked way more wrinkled and the white looked a lot better.
I have a suspicion (backed up with nothing at all lol) that people who buy white know it can show dirt and tend to be the types who care for the cars better, so that MIGHT be why white seems to hold up better than black, rather than any inherent difference in the wear qualities of the material/color.

I have a suspicion (backed up with nothing at all lol) that people who buy white know it can show dirt and tend to be the types who care for the cars better, so that MIGHT be why white seems to hold up better than black, rather than any inherent difference in the wear qualities of the material/color.
There's probably something to that. I'm a white interior guy, have been driving for 30 years and have never had a car that didn't always look brand new inside.

There's probably something to that. I'm a white interior guy, have been driving for 30 years and have never had a car that didn't always look brand new inside.
I’m slightly leaning black interior because it’s more cozy feeling. But I looked at used teslas (just to see how the interiors hold up over time) and the black looked way more wrinkled and the white looked a lot better.

So now I’m on the fence haha. I do like that it makes your car unique and more luxurious.

My wife is anything but a slob. But the inside of her car would be disgusting if I didn’t clean it on a regular basis. She had a white interior X and now a YP. After 60k mikes and 4 years, the X looked new and sold for a premium. The Y appears to be holding up just as well.

My ‘17S was black interior. No wrinkles. My ‘22 SP looks pristine. I almost went white but the perforated seats in white didn’t sit well with me. :)

Her car looks stunning. As does mine. Neither takes more effort than the other to keep clean. Other than the fact that hers is always dirty within two days of my cleaning.

I wouldn’t sweat which one to get. You’ll love either one and will forget the pre delivery fretting in no time.

Reactions: drtimhill