Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any owners with big dogs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We will be in the market for a new vehicle soon (currently driving a Volvo V50) and would love to go with a Tesla. One concern that we have is the ease of transporting a large dog. We like going for family hikes and road trips but, with 2 car seats in the back, I think that our dog would have to ride in the trunk for the Model S to work for us. Does anyone have experience with this? Does it work? We don't want our dog to be too uncomfortable. I suppose I could see if our local store would let us test it out with our dog, but I figured that I'd ask here first. Thanks!

Our 70lb rescue GSD has only been allowed in our van (I'm not ready yet for him in Tesla, but someday.....). When that time comes, he will likely sit in the back seat or the jump seat footwell. Short trips only as I think he will get too hot back there.

Until then, here are some of my favorite Dog-Tesla threads. Lot of big dogs in there, including a couple of very cute (large) malamutes.
Breed of dog Tesla Owners and Fans have.
Dogs in a Model S??
Dog-proofing the Model S

• Helpful
Reactions: George Jetson
My 65lb Golden rides on a custom seat cover in the back seat, but honestly (and sadly for both of us), she hates the Tesla compared to "her" former Lexus SUV. Primary issue is MS just does not have the airflow she desires in the back seat. Range Mode OFF helps with a few more points of fan speed, but in doing so, also blows the people in the front with the same gusto unless you play a lot with the vents. What does make her happy is fan on max warp, side window open and pano open -- but that's not very realistic for anything but short jaunts around town. With my MS, she only comes with me on short jaunts and when it's very cool outside. As summer approaches, I'll be in for a lot more of those big eyes when she has to stay home more often than not.

I have never put my girl in the back trunk area, primiarly because of comments from a number of people related to the rear jumper seats and lack of ventilation in the back for their kids, made me avoid even considering that option. If you do put your dog back there, I'd give consideration to tint on the back hatch, perhaps using the Tesla sun screen, and/or some additional ventilation fans like people have done for the kids in the rear.

So, net of all that, I'm sad to say, is if your dog is sensitive to heat or requires a lot of airflow to stay comfortable, you may be in for a challenge with your companion riding in the back of MS. Maybe you can arrange for an overnight test drive to gives things a little try... Good luck!

My 65lb Golden rides on a custom seat cover in the back seat, but honestly (and sadly for both of us), she hates the Tesla compared to "her" former Lexus SUV. Primary issue is MS just does not have the airflow she desires in the back seat. Range Mode OFF helps with a few more points of fan speed, but in doing so, also blows the people in the front with the same gusto unless you play a lot with the vents. What does make her happy is fan on max warp, side window open and pano open -- but that's not very realistic for anything but short jaunts around town. With my MS, she only comes with me on short jaunts and when it's very cool outside. As summer approaches, I'll be in for a lot more of those big eyes when she has to stay home more often than not.

I have never put my girl in the back trunk area, primiarly because of comments from a number of people related to the rear jumper seats and lack of ventilation in the back for their kids, made me avoid even considering that option. If you do put your dog back there, I'd give consideration to tint on the back hatch, perhaps using the Tesla sun screen, and/or some additional ventilation fans like people have done for the kids in the rear.

So, net of all that, I'm sad to say, is if your dog is sensitive to heat or requires a lot of airflow to stay comfortable, you may be in for a challenge with your companion riding in the back of MS. Maybe you can arrange for an overnight test drive to gives things a little try... Good luck!

I have both the hatch window max tinted (35%) AND the rear sunshade and it does make a difference for my kids who sit back there.

My 65lb tall dog (Standard Poodle, so he's taller than most labs or goldens that weigh a lot more) really doesn't love the Tesla, unfortunately. We got one of those back seat hammocks that covers the entire seat so that he and my other dog can ride to the vet and groomer, but they really don't enjoy the ride. They felt a lot more secure in my old 2 door mustang than they do in the Tesla.

I haven't tried the trunk yet, I can't imagine doing that for mine though. Mine like seeing where we are going and I like having a good eye on them, so the back seat is the only option for us. Car rides used to be something we would do all the time for no reason at all...but now they stay home.

d7483950029536a9caccadc6adb9e4c9.jpg

Our Bernese mountain dog gets the whole trunk for herself and she loves it. It's very spacious compared to our previous BMW 318 Touring, even with some luggage stashes against the rear seats.
We bought a cover to protect the trunk, which uses a few strings and adhesive velcro for easy removal. It protects the sides of the trunk and we added a simple sheet to cover the top of the rear seats.

Works like a charm! When reaching the highway our dog is already asleep.

I toss my yellow lab in the trunk, with parcel shelf above her so she doesn't try to jump up to the second row or scratch anything. She doesn't like it (she prefers hanging out of the windows - that wont happen in the Tesla), and I certainly don't keep her in there for more than 5-10 mins as I take her to the local park because I'm worried about the heat and air circulation. Anything beyond 10 mins we put her in our older car.

image.jpeg
Hopefully that gives you an idea. Without going into details, we had to haul our St. Bernard in the back. He was able to get up and turn around and everything. We had 3 kids in the rear seats so we couldn't lay the rear seats flat.