Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any P90DL owners got their 100 kWh battery upgrade yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats a lot of cash, given your car does not have AP2 hardware...

In absolute terms, yes, this was expensive - but not in relative terms. Look at it this way: for just 8% of my car's original purchase price I get what feels like a brand new car:-
  • Brand new, comfy front seats (I'd like more side support, but I'm loving the softer seat back and adjustable head rest).
  • Significant performance improvement - I can feel the car is more responsive when overtaking at medium speeds (which is when I most need the acceleration ).
  • Faster supercharging speeds.
  • A big range boost - about 15% more range: useful on longer trips (and more so in the future as superchargers get more congested).
I tend to keep my cars a long time, so for me this was a major enhancement - and one that I hope to enjoy for many years to come.

As for AP2? Well, I had an AP2 loan car for three weeks earlier this year (long story - I won't bore you with the details) and I found that, on the roads I use, it was no better and no worse than my AP1 car. In fact, at the time it was worse, because the rain-sensing wipers didn't work. In any case, I remain sceptical that current AP2 will achieve the level of autonomy claimed by the company (at least, without requiring some kind of expensive refit/additional sensor installation).

If I did a lot of motorway driving, AP might be more important to me - but I live in the countryside and drive on narrow winding roads. Having a fun car that handles (reasonably) well and has plenty of performance for overtaking - as well as range for those longer trips - is far more important to me, and that's why I paid my money and made my choice. As they say, "your mileage may vary" :)