Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any P90DL owners got their 100 kWh battery upgrade yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought that that was the case; that none of the prior ones were eligible.

Actually, all P90DL's were eligible - for those who were yet to take delivery the price was 10k and 20k for the rest.

Tesla.com said:
Tesla customers who have ordered a P90D Ludicrous, but not taken delivery, can upgrade to the 100 kWh pack for $10,000. Existing P90D Ludicrous owners can also upgrade to a 100 kWh pack, but for $20,000, as their used 90 kWh pack will have to be recycled.

Which is basically misleading in itself, though, because nobody got a P100D upgrade prior to taking delivery - they were to be updated later as well, which would mean recycling the 90 kWh pack anyway...

Frankly, it is hard to not think some misconduct surely exists by now. If not back then, by now Tesla should have come clean and communicated about this many times already for those affected - and the decision not to do so, feels like it may not have been with the best of motivations.

At the very least this is a case of Tesla should have known better by now. But it also seems likely they are silent by choice and that's no good. The silence is deafening.

Also, looking at that quote after the fact, it does seem hard to believe Tesla really thought they could replace (not recycle) all upgrading 90 kWh packs - and then turns out they upgrade none before delivery... It seems misleading and it is hard to shake the notion that it was misleading by choice.

Reactions: JohnnyG
In other words: Hanlon's razor - Wikipedia

But I was also going to say, I was wondering if there's something about the (new) 100 packs that is incompatible with the 90 cars and no one thought to make them 'match'. D'oh...

It is one thing to believe Tesla wasn't intentionally malicious when they communicated that P90DL upgrades wouldn't even need recycling (as in they would be swapped in before delivery...), it is quite another thing to believe Tesla just forgot about their promises to these customers and has kept silent for the past nine months (since early 2017, the second promised timeframe for the upgrades) without any malicious thought of keeping something under wraps... Even if they are just hoping people will forget about this or something, they should have communicated by now and choosing not to do so is its own form of misconduct.

At some point it just becomes a bit more likely that something has not been quite up and up.

Reactions: number12
It is one thing to believe Tesla wasn't intentionally malicious when they communicated that P90DL upgrades wouldn't even need recycling (as in they would be swapped in before delivery...), it is quite another thing to believe Tesla just forgot about their promises to these customers and has kept silent for the past nine months (since early 2017, the second promised timeframe for the upgrades) without any malicious thought of keeping something under wraps... Even if they are just hoping people will forget about this or something, they should have communicated by now and choosing not to do so is its own form of misconduct.

At some point it just becomes a bit more likely that something has not been quite up and up.

conspiracy_0.jpg

:) :) :)

@sandpiper It is.

But if anyone considers Tesla's possible motives, IMO this upgrade scheme likely existed to protect both Q3 and Q4 P90DL deliveries (and perhaps some Q1/2017) deliveries. That was very likely its main purpose, to make sure as few as possible declined deliveries of P90DLs.

That could be a powerful motivation to not disclose doubts or delays as upfront as they perhaps should have, in public hindsight.

Of course it's possible. I tend not to subscribe to conspiracy theories. Whenever I've seen behind the curtain at any organization, I've found that it's usually just a bunch of imperfect people doing their best, messing up some things, forgetting about other things and, sometimes just saying "Screw it all... it's Friday".

Conspiracies and ulterior motives are certainly real. But I think they're far less common than people generally imagine.

EDIT:

I do 100% agree that this was done to protect deliveries. There's no other reason to do it. My point refers to the failure to follow-up with the battery upgrades.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Does it really require a conspiracy though to someone deciding not to be transparent because not being transparent seems more beneficial to them?

Seems more like human nature. :) Still would be unethical as heck...

:) Again, maybe... Maybe it's as simple as somebody hoping that if they're quiet maybe everybody will forget about it. But I don't think that's malicious.... maybe a bit opportunistic.

In any case, I think eligible and interested owners have just cause to squawk like mad until they get their batteries. But I think that will will require a push from someone further up the food chain. The folks working the floor won't be able to help.

Probably the only way to get real attention is to 'flash mob' Elon by twitter. Have everyone eligible (whats the number, any polls out there on this forum to capture how many people want to even do this?) that wants the upgrade to tweet Elon every 10 mins for an entire day.. Maybe he will get so annoyed he will address the situation. There are a few unfilled promises that are starting to simmer up, this will at some point reach boiling point and impact Tesla financially (Stock).

Probably the only way to get real attention is to 'flash mob' Elon by twitter. Have everyone eligible (whats the number, any polls out there on this forum to capture how many people want to even do this?) that wants the upgrade to tweet Elon every 10 mins for an entire day.. Maybe he will get so annoyed he will address the situation. There are a few unfilled promises that are starting to simmer up, this will at some point reach boiling point and impact Tesla financially (Stock).

I'd be more inclined to push this up through the normal channels - either the "My Tesla" route or through the "who's your boss" channel with the sales centers.

Appealing to Elon aggressively seems like a last resort. The guy does have a few things on his plate.

What does 'upgrade before delivery' even mean? That means they would get a P100D..... so why call it a replacement/whatever?

This is why I was thinking there were "some" P90D's where the 'swap' was 'easier'. If it's before sale, WTF, it's not a P90D anymore.

After the fact is a whole different story. And for any age car? Thing is a mess....

I'd be more inclined to push this up through the normal channels - either the "My Tesla" route or through the "who's your boss" channel with the sales centers.

Appealing to Elon aggressively seems like a last resort. The guy does have a few things on his plate.

Actually as folks have gotten nowhere with normal approaches I think its time for this.. Look, I have no skin in the game wrt this, but I have been an owner since late 2013 and I can't tell you (I literally can't as there were many) how many broken promises I have seen and been part of, none of them were ever really resolved and the community just brushed them off with an 'oh well, this is 'Teslaware'' . So basically, what we are all saying is that it's ok and acceptable for a company to be unethical. I love my car, love Tesla and think Elon is a genius, but you just can't go around doing Sh*t like this forever.

Reactions: Zorg
What does 'upgrade before delivery' even mean
At the time I took it to mean that they switched the battery before you took delivery. If you took delivery of a P90L you'd be paying $20k for the upgrade. Nothing else really makes sense.

The battery recycle cost never made any sense to me though. You'd have to pay $20k because they would have to give you a new battery on top of the one you already had whereas if you were just replacing your 90 order with a 100 they would only have to sell you one battery which is obviously cheaper.

What does 'upgrade before delivery' even mean? That means they would get a P100D..... so why call it a replacement/whatever?

That was the whole point, right?

Pay 10k more to upgrade your P90DL order to P100D before delivery, because P100D became available while your order was in the process... That is how it was sold to us in Q3/2016. I know because I had P90DL on order for which I ordered this upgrade to P100D...

(Instead of cancelling your order and re-ordering... Which I ended up doing after AP2.)

I feel like this is not going to happen.
It was a move to prevent you from cancelling the order.
If you were to cancel your order, you'd be able to get P100DL and AP2, for a small price bump. And they would have an outdated P90DL with AP1, and they would need to discount it heavily in order to sell it.

With Tesla, don't believe anything that is promised for future. Like Battery upgrades or AP2 parity.
They often want to save the day and hope that you'd forget to chase the issue.
For example, my new car had series of issues, they advised me to take the delivery and promised to fix the issues asap. But I knew that it would take months to fix them. I experienced the same thing with my previous 2 Teslas. So I rejected the delivery. It took 2 months for them to get back to me. We're in the 3th month, and I haven't been offered a proper solution yet.
I've just seen this thread again, I was going to reply but I noticed that I had already :)
My previous message is still applicable.
Tesla played a very sneaky game to prevent you from cancelling your order. And now they decided that $10k is too cheap for that job, so they don't want to swap the battery.

I emailed them again earlier today and heres the reply, supposedly upgrades are in progress now!

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the 100kWh Battery Pack upgrade.

The purpose of this correspondence is to provide you with an update on the progress. Your VIN is still qualified for this upgrade. Upgrades are currently in progress and we will continue to work through the interest list. In the weeks ahead, the Vehicle Accessories team will be reaching out to you with more details for upgrading your vehicle. The process will include taking a deposit and scheduling your service appointment.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact [email protected] and we would be happy to assist further.

I emailed them again earlier today and heres the reply, supposedly upgrades are in progress now!
Hello,
Thank you for your interest in the 100kWh Battery Pack upgrade.
The purpose of this correspondence is to provide you with an update on the progress. Your VIN is still qualified for this upgrade. Upgrades are currently in progress and we will continue to work through the interest list. In the weeks ahead, the Vehicle Accessories team will be reaching out to you with more details for upgrading your vehicle. The process will include taking a deposit and scheduling your service appointment.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact [email protected] and we would be happy to assist further.​
This is really wonderful news; truly and honestly. I am sincerely happy for the folks that have the V2/V3 batteries. Not only for being able to produce the power that was advertised for the P90DL, but also for now being able to upgrade their batteries to the 100kWh.

Unfortunately, that still leaves quite a large population of P90DL owners (V1 folks) feeling severely screwed. Not only did we not get the performance we paid for, but now are being told we're not eligible to upgrade to the 100kWh pack. I was willing to suck it up, and pay for the 100kWh upgrade, not only for the extended range and newer pack design, but also to finally get the performance for which I had already paid and was never delivered. But now we're stripped from doing that as well.

I will, at least, feel a little better knowing that the folks which would have canceled their order for the P100D, can now finally get the car they could've had.

• Love
Reactions: Tech_Guy