TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Any P90DL owners got their 100 kWh battery upgrade yet?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by d.c.palmer, Feb 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy ALWAYS IN LUDICROUS MODE! P90D>P100D Upgrade

As I recall the model x got additional power batteries first before the model s had that additional power. I think it was noticed by Brooks from dragtimes on his p90dl model x...

2. Tech_Guy

Hope they do Fontana autoclub speedway / dragway next time. It’s further out from LA then Irwindale but the rancho superchargers are just a few miles away for a full charge at the start of the day!!

3. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

My upgrade from P90DL to P100DL is scheduled for next week.
    The part number on my paperwork shows 1130045-00-A (Pack Upgrade after delivery)
    My Model X is a Canadian Signature and I took delivery in June 2016

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. Tech_Guy

Got the call as well, mine is now scheduled for Tuesday next week!! Invoice shows slightly different part number probably because mine is a Model S

Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 10.47.42 AM.png

• Informative x 2
  5. sakimano

sakimano Active Member

inice

why so cheap? $2500? thought it was supposed to be like $10,000 or more?

6. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

That's just a deposit.

• Like x 2
  7. Tech_Guy

Yep the remainder is due after install

8. d.c.palmer

d.c.palmer 7 years of EV driving

Great to hear that some people are getting their upgrades finally! I chased up some senior contacts here in the UK and have finally been advised that upgrades will be offered - allegedly before Christmas - but haven't been given an appointment (or paid a deposit) yet.

Two questions to those of you with the upgrades installed or pending:-

1. Have you been offered the newer ("Premium") seats as part of this?
    2. Any thoughts on the Premium seats vs the (figure hugging) "Next Gen" seats?

I have the "Next Gen" seats and like the way they feel when cornering fast. I understand that these were manufactured by Recaro, but that Tesla make the newer, "Premium" seats. These don't seem quite so grippy to me, so I might decline this option if or when it is offered. I'd be interested in other thoughts - thanks.

9. Neutron1

Neutron1 Member

Maybe I missed this, but is it conclusive that a P85DL cannot be upgraded?

10. Tech_Guy

I was told that the premium seats are required as part of the upgrade because Tesla crash tested the P100D with the new premium seats.

To me this is a bonus as I’ve had my next generation seats replaced three times because they start to wobble from acceleration and deceleration. I would be very surprised if they are actually made by Recaro as I’ve never had this problem with Recaro seats or any seats for that matter... Supposedly the premium seats solve this problem according to a friend who works on the seat production line! I hope he’s right.

11. Tech_Guy

Officially from Tesla
    At this time Tesla will not upgrade cars with the older pack design. So Tesla’s current requirement for the upgrade is newer / current gen pack connector and air suspension. At some time early-mid 2016 they switched over to a new pack connector and without modification this connector is not compatible with older cars.

Aftermarket...
    However as I recall @wk057 tore down a p100d battery pack last year and concluded that if Tesla wanted to all they would have to change is that connector a very cheep part to allow older cars to take the newer pack.
    He’s started to offer upgrade battery packs on eBay and with some hacking can make you car accept the modification...

12. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Active Member

13. P100DHG.

P100DHG. Supporting Member

This is groundbreaking. Congratulations! @Tech_Guy did they give you a final price? If you get a brand new 100kw pack, and new seats with labor and everything for $10,000 I would say you got a great deal! Do you get a new battery warranty too?

14. d.c.palmer

Any updates on pricing?

15. Tech_Guy

To quote the original announcement from here New Tesla Model S Now the Quickest Production Car in the World

“Tesla customers who have ordered a P90D Ludicrous, but not taken delivery, can upgrade to the 100 kWh pack for $10,000. Existing P90D Ludicrous owners can also upgrade to a 100 kWh pack, but for $20,000, as their used 90 kWh pack will have to be recycled.”

16. d.c.palmer

@Tech_Guy - yes, I know this is what they said, but I just wanted to check that they're not going to try charging us the $20,000 on the basis that we have now taken delivery of our cars and our existing 90 kWh battery packs will need to be recycled.

P.S., have you now had this done on your car?

17. Tech_Guy

My install is scheduled for Tuesday. Its my understanding that if you contacted Tesla about the upgrade before you took delivery you are charged $10,000 for the upgrade plus tax...

18. d.c.palmer

Thanks, Tech_Guy! I'm certainly in the queue - so I expect to be paying $10,000 + our 20% value-added tax...

Let us know how you get on - and how you like the new seats. Just had a chance to sit in a couple of cars with the Premium seats and I quite liked them - not quite as grippy as the "Next Gen" seats, but plusher, and perhaps more comfortable - if less sporty in the twisties.

• Like x 1
  19. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

Not sure why you guys don’t understand it. If your car hadn’t been built they would upgrade for $10K.
    After delivery it is $20K. They have to ship the new battery to you, there is labor and then recycling your existing battery. If you expect to pay 10K after the fact good luck.

• Disagree x 2
  20. d.c.palmer

With all due respect, I think you're missing the context of the August 2016 announcement. Let's just reiterate the promise they made - remember, this is dated August 2016, not November 2017:-

“Tesla customers who have ordered a P90D Ludicrous, but not taken delivery, can upgrade to the 100 kWh pack for $10,000. Existing P90D Ludicrous owners can also upgrade to a 100 kWh pack, but for $20,000, as their used 90 kWh pack will have to be recycled.”

At that point in time, people like @Tech_Guy (I presume) and myself had ordered the car, but not taken delivery. We therefore fell into the $10,000 category: which was an incentive for us not to cancel our orders.

Now, the fact that Tesla then failed to upgrade our cars before we took delivery (and took a leisurely 15 months to actually come up with the battery packs) isn't our problem. So I am expecting to pay $10,000, not $20,000. There is no question that, if I had already taken delivery of the car before August 2016, then I would have had to pay the full $20,000 cost.

• Like x 3