TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Any P90DL owners got their 100 kWh battery upgrade yet?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by d.c.palmer, Feb 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy ALWAYS IN LUDICROUS MODE! P90D>P100D Upgrade

#161 Tech_Guy, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Upgrade Complete!! Not much to say but WOW!!

• Informative x 2
    • Love x 1
  2. d.c.palmer

d.c.palmer 7 years of EV driving

But (1) how much did you have to pay?
    and (2) do you prefer the new "Premium" seats to the previous (Next-Gen?) seats?

Thanks!

• Helpful x 1
  3. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

You are very, very wrong.

4. Tech_Guy

1. Pricing was as listed below plus tax...
    2. I like the new seats and so do the passengers that have tried them vs the next gens

5. d.c.palmer

Many thanks for sharing this with us! I'm still waiting for my upgrade...

6. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

7. Tech_Guy

Hey thats me LOL :cool:

• Like x 1
  8. JoshG

JoshG Member

I presume it's just the front seats that get modified, not the rears?

9. Tech_Guy

Yep

10. JoshG

JoshG Member

#170 JoshG, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    Cool - Confirmed that my upgrade kit (seats and P100 battery) arrived at my local service center and awaiting me bringing the car in.
    Appointment scheduled: getting installed on Thursday (12/28).

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  11. jjh1234

jjh1234 Member

Are our seats going from Classic to Premium or Next Gen to Premium? I ask because my SC tells me they can't upgrade my Classic to Next Gen anymore.

12. JoshG

JoshG Member

That's interesting. When I ordered it a couple weeks ago (had been on the list forever, but walked in and got them to order the parts for me), they emailed me back later in the day to ask me to send pictures of my seats and the VIN panel in the drivers door, so it does seem they need to know seats you currently have before they'll do the upgrade.

I have Next Gen seats for what it's worth.

13. jjh1234

jjh1234 Member

Cool. Sounds like you might be getting the newer premium seats with the adjustable head rest. Maybe they will let you keep your Next Gen seats and you can sell them to me. lol. Good Luck on the upgrade.

14. Tech_Guy

That’s what is included with the upgrade, the new / current premium seats! Supposedly it’s required because the P100D was crash tested with the premium seats. I can also confirm if you ask to keep the old seats you can as well, I kept mine I’m thinking about making them office chairs or something.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. d.c.palmer

As the original poster, I have an update: Tesla Heathrow have my new battery pack and a new driver's seat - but no sign of the passenger seat... I'm tentatively booked for a battery swap at the end of January - which is about a year later than the timescale I was originally promised ("very early in 2017") - but better late than never.

I've also had a chance to try out the new "Premium" seats, as we have a 100D as a loan car whilst my wife's P85 is having its MCU replaced (for the second time - but that's another story)... And I'm still conflicted as to whether or not I should accept the new seats when my P90DL is upgraded next year...

I really like the "Next Gen" seats, which hug my (smallish) figure very well as I drive exuberantly (I think that is the polite term!) around our winding country roads. The "Premium" seats don't give me quite the same "seat of the pants" connection to the car - although the backrest feels more comfortable (softer padding?). Seat comfort is, of course, highly subjective - but is the general consensus that the "Premium" seats are the best option for the P100D? Do those of you who have had your "Next Gens" replaced feel that this was a positive move?

@Tech_Guy mentioned that one can keep the old seats as well - if so, does anyone know if these can be retrofitted into a June 2014 P85 (i.e., replacing the first-generation "Standard" seats) ? That might be the option, as driving my wife's P85 is like sitting on a slab of concrete.

• Informative x 1
  16. AnonNJ

AnonNJ Cooking the battery with max power!

@Tech_Guy soon to be scheduled also. Is it awesome and worth it?

17. Tech_Guy

Definitely awesome and worth it to me. More range, faster charging, and more power.

• Like x 3
  18. d.c.palmer

Well, after 17 months waiting - and a year later than promised - my P90DL finally got upgraded yesterday.

The actual upgrade process took two whole weeks - not the two days we had expected. Although the battery and front seats had been ordered way back last year, it then transpired that other parts (sub-loom; new sunroof module - no idea why this was needed) had to be ordered and then re-ordered when the wrong ones were sent from Europe, but I was finally able to try out "Ludicrous Plus" on my drive home from the service centre last night. Very impressive!

The front seats ("Premium") aren't as grippy as the previous ones ("Next Gen"), which is sad, but the seat backs are more comfortable.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  19. badboy1980

badboy1980 Member

How much did the upgrade cost?

20. d.c.palmer

I forget the exact amount with VAT, but it worked out to about what Elon promised us - $10,000 for a P90DL.

• Informative x 1