TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

any pedestal supplier for wall charger recommended in Canada?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by coolmanfever, Jan 4, 2020.

1. coolmanfever

coolmanfever Member

Hello. I am planning to construct a pedestal in my garden that look like this to allow wall connector charging further out in my drive way and parking space. I am gonna try Home Depot tomorrow to see if they have something that is similar that I can put in my garden.

I also looked online for some pedestal suppliers but they are all American based. I wonder if you guys know any suppliers in Canada (or localized in Toronto) that can provide me a pedestal that look like this?
    wall mount.jpg

2. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

3. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

Good find S'toon
    I was the rep for one of the largest RV park pedestal manufacturers, Midwest. Midwest (now ABB) and Eaton - the 2 main players in this market, go to market through electrical wholesalers for this product group. Almost all of them are custom configured, so not available "off the shelf". I don't think you'll find anything locally stocked - except the Sun Country product, listed above.

If you have your heart set on the "tombstone" appearance, you may have to contact a wholesaler in your area.

4. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

6x6 wood post and paint if desired?

5. JamstationP85D

I used a 4x4 wood post (with a post spike) painted black and mounted the same charger (in black). I also couldnt find something easily so built this as a temporary solution (but it turned out great). Also in Toronto.

• Like x 1
  6. Gabbleratchet7

I did a similar thing but used a pre-fab concrete footing for the post instead of a spike (and spray-painted the post grey to better match the silver charger). Not perfect, but definitely serviceable.

7. JamstationP85D

I was considering concrete but I wasn’t 100% committed to the placement. Parking on a driveway (as my garage is full) always takes some math to ensure I can reach the charging port if I dont back it in. Silver makes sense for the silver charger. I have the black one.

8. coolmanfever

coolmanfever Member

Thanks Jamstation. I think I will go with DIY option given the cost of of pre made one is not possible. The wood spike that you used to secure the 4x4 post. Is it something like this ?

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/simpson-strong-tie-e-z-mender-12-gauge-black-powder-coated-mender-plate-for-4x4-wood-post/1000681911

9. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

#9 03DSG, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Have a look at these for some possible better options for a 4”x4” post. They completely surround the base of the post rather than just one side. The one you listed is normally used to reinforce an existing post that’s rotted at ground level. You use a short 12” or so piece of 4x4 to fit in the spike temporarily so you can pound it into the ground:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/peak-products-4-inch-x-4-inch-ground-spike-for-post-installation/1000438984

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/simpson-strong-tie-e-z-spike-black-powder-coated-post-base-spike-for-4x4/1001400316

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pylex-heavy-duty-spike-44-black/1001312350

10. JamstationP85D

I used the Peak Products one 03DSG posted but there is a version that is about $5 more that allows it to pivot/tilt so you can ensure its 100% level/straight. Very strong. And yes - use something that covers all around it and not just the back. If anything.. for cosmetic purposes, I may purchase some plastic based capping to put around the post similar to what we use for plastic deck boards, etc. This will give it a thicker look (would be the size of a 6x6 instead of a 4x4) and I may be able to run the 6 gauge cable through it as well to hide it better. This will have to wait for the spring when it warms up.

11. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

I used a 4x4 post with a 2x4 screwed to it to give me a 4x6 post. Topped off with a solar light.
    See pictures here: Charging

• Like x 1
  12. coolmanfever

coolmanfever Member

Do you have a photo of your pedestal you built ?

13. coolmanfever

coolmanfever Member

looks good. I will look into this option.

14. JamstationP85D

Just got home and it’s dark (hence the pic). Again.. I want to ‘thicken’ the appearance with 1x6 boards and 6792373D-C084-4532-9F76-C5D3EFF1A2BA.jpeg will probably use resin/plastic in the summer.

15. coolmanfever

coolmanfever Member

looks good. Thanks for sharing.

16. Coxwain

Coxwain Member

Thanks so much for sharing
    Would you be able to show how the cable/conduit ran up the pole and through the pole to connect to the charger?

I would love to mount on a stainless steel post with a simple bracket on it but can only find them in Europe.

17. pb2000

pb2000 Member

If you're handy with a welder or are willing to pay a shop to do it, you can custom make whatever you want.
    Stainless Steel 304/304L Rectangular Tube | Metal Supermarkets - Steel, Aluminum, Stainless, Hot-Rolled, Cold-Rolled, Alloy, Carbon, Galvanized, Brass, Bronze, Copper

18. Coxwain

Coxwain Member

~$95 for 4” x6’ pipe cad.

then a bunch of welding cutting and drilling. I would take on the project, but I don’t have any of those tools

the 4” cedar post would work? Just wondering how he connected the wires/ conduit

19. Coxwain

Coxwain Member

Since I have been looking for this stuff and found it impossible to find, I thought it best to share here.
    I got it from a Tesla person in CA

specifications on the wall charger 3 size and mounting plate screw measurements.

Attached Files:

20. Coxwain

Coxwain Member

I found some post material that should work

IMG_20200828_194239990.jpg IMG_20200828_194155705.jpg IMG_20200828_194155705.jpg IMG_20200828_194150902.jpg IMG_20200828_194155705.jpg IMG_20200828_194124729.jpg IMG_20200828_194150902.jpg