Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Performance owners regret not getting the perf upgrade package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would have regretted it, but was able to change my order to include the PUP. My plan is still to replace the wheels and also likely get aftermarket springs or coilovers. I'll recoup part of the $5k when selling the rims and tires.

We don't know what track mode will be exactly, nor do we know what else may come later (customizable track mode? ludicrous?). The best way to be sure you have any future offerings is to get the PUP. I also think the car's resale value will be higher than P's without it.

• Love
Reactions: Mayhem
I would have regretted it, but was able to change my order to include the PUP. My plan is still to replace the wheels and also likely get aftermarket springs or coilovers. I'll recoup part of the $5k when selling the rims and tires.

We don't know what track mode will be exactly, nor do we know what else may come later (customizable track mode? ludicrous?). The best way to be sure you have any future offerings is to get the PUP. I also think the car's resale value will be higher than P's without it.

Ahhh, that was my mistake. I forget I could've sold the 20" wheels and buy myself a set of 18" for cheap. Probably would've kept it in the $5k range.

Folks who care about performance, but aren't taking the car to a (non-drag) track regularly, will just spend <$1000 on PS 4S tires on the 18" aeros and likely beat the P3D+ in a straight line while getting better mileage and saving over $4000 bucks.

Folks who like to turn too will buy aftermarket 18/19" lightweight wheels and put wider PS4s on and beat the P3D+ across the board.... this may or may not save them $ over the 5k package depending what they do brake-wise (in some track applications simply better pads/fluid will be enough, in harsher track use they may need to go with something like MPPs planned upgrades).

The above may or may not hold true once we have more info on what track mode can really do for a P3D+ vs a P3D-, but I don't see why it wouldn't hold true apart from that- thus why folks who "care about performance" might well have skipped the mostly-bling-with-giant-heavy-wheels $5000 upgrade up to now.

They should have just kept the one model. I get what you're saying, but most other companies offer 20" wheels as some kind of performance package. And they're heavy, except for maybe the M3, But I bet even their forged wheels are heavier than most. Tesla is offering an OEM BBK, so the package is hardly mostly bling. Whether or not it's better or worth it is another question.

They should have just kept the one model.

It seems like too many folks balked at the one models price though.

Especially since it forced big heavy wheels nobody really wanted on the buyer.

I get what you're saying, but most other companies offer 20" wheels as some kind of performance package. And they're heavy, except for maybe the M3

They're also wider. Except on the Tesla where you get heavier wheels and less range in exchange for... the same width tire as the 18s and 19s come with. That's the opposite of a performance wheel in Teslas case.

Tesla did it because they already had those narrow 20s sitting on the shelf, having offered them for sale on the RWD car for months previous, and they didn't want to add another part to their already hard for them to manage production line and supply chain.

Tesla is offering an OEM BBK, so the package is hardly mostly bling. .

Except most car owners, even performance car owners, don't drive their cars on actual race tracks (and even fewer on non-drag tracks).

In street use, which is what 99% of owners do, a BBK is nothing but bling- even on the "performance" model

(in some cases it actually makes the car worse because they drill useless holes in the rotors for EXTRA bling which weakens the rotors... even when they don't do that it's invariably more expensive to service the factory BBK than the original brakes despite them again, providing no benefit in normal street use)

Reactions: Perry
I actually would have bought the spoiler, pedals and red brake calipers if they didn't make you buy the wheels to get them. As it is I'm getting those things aftermarket for ~$1k.

Also, why in god's name didn't Tesla just say "track mode and other future updates will be dependent on the PUP package" - many, many more people would have purchased.

Reactions: Msjulie
Why do you keep saying it's a vanity upgrade? It's just not the spec you wanted. A spoiler adds downforce, stickier tires add grip, and bigger rotors and calipers add braking capabilities. The only thing that's "vanity" might be the pedals. Everything else adds to performance whether it's mediocre or not. Honestly, I'm really surprised people are turning up their nose to an OEM BBK. I get the wheels, but people are dying on that cross for no reason.

They should have just kept the one performance model.
I will admit that the P+ brakes are OK but not great. The rotors are not veined, not slotted, and not as light and large as the MPP after market rotors which you can get for the same price.

Reactions: Msjulie
Are those cheap 18 inch stock tires even safe with that much power? WTH happens if you apply too much throttle in a turn or something?

I am not surprised at all that a feature called « track mode » is not available for the cars that have those tires. I won’t be surprised either if cars without the performance package are not eligible for any « ludicrous » update. I suspect the main reason is safety and potential liability.

Are those cheap 18 inch stock tires even safe with that much power? WTH happens if you apply too much throttle in a turn or something?

the excellent traction control system controls the traction- just like in any other case.... (and especially on an AWD car it's really not a problem)

The P3D has the same power with or without the 5k package- so obviously it's "safe" either way or they wouldn't sell the car.

Though I expect a lot of P3D- owners will be putting better tires on the lighter 18s (and saving >4k in the process)

$1,500 for rotors and 2 piece calipers... I would love to know where this number came from. Seems dirt cheap IMO.

It is dirt cheap. Based on what I paid to put the M Performance Braking System upgrade on my 3 Series ($2800). And unless you're tracking it's essentially a cosmetic upgrade. Better off just buying the P- and painting the calipers, IMO.

They should have just kept the one model. I get what you're saying, but most other companies offer 20" wheels as some kind of performance package. And they're heavy, except for maybe the M3, But I bet even their forged wheels are heavier than most. Tesla is offering an OEM BBK, so the package is hardly mostly bling. Whether or not it's better or worth it is another question.

Sorry, disagree. I weighed heavily the idea of getting the P. After driving it I ultimately decided to stick with my AWD order. However, had I gone P I definitely would not have put the Performance Upgrade Package on it. Never going to track it. The spoiler is ugly, IMO. The 20" wheels would have made for an uncomfortable, expensive (dented/cracked wheels) and less efficient daily driver. Red calipers desirable to me, but only for aesthetics, which I can make happen for less than $100 using the G2 paint kit. I am lowering with T Sportline springs, which will give me a better ride.

• Helpful
Reactions: nogassnorlax
Mountain Pass Performance is doing some cool aftermarket mods for the Model 3. Their rotor / caliper kit addresses some of the issues as far as brake cooling on the performance models and the price isn't bad.

Rotors & Calipers - $1380
MPP Page Mill 365mm Big Brake Kit

They will also be making lighter rear rotors soon as well.

That does not include calipers just brackets to make the work with the bigger rotors.

• Helpful
Reactions: wbhokie