Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any permanent fix of the b-pillar cameras fogging up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I've recently had both my b-pillars cameras replaced due to condensation happening on the glass inside on the b-pillar where the AutoPilot cameras are located. And lately, this issue started to happen again... I searched on the forums and there doesn't appear to be a permanent fix for this...

Are we really forced to have to schedule a service appointment and get the cameras replaced each time this happens, is there truly no permanent fix? It impacts my AutoPilot, since I occasionally get the "Right/Left door pillar camera blocked or blinded".

I was told by Tesla service, the cameras are not hermetically sealed. If there’s large droplets of condensation they will replace them, but if they just fog up like mine, there’s nothing they will do. It is just a seasonal issue until design changes are made.

I was told by Tesla service, the cameras are not hermetically sealed. If there’s large droplets of condensation they will replace them, but if they just fog up like mine, there’s nothing they will do. It is just a seasonal issue until design changes are made.
I was having this issue as well. A Tesla service tech came to look at my car too make sure it was nothing out of the ordinary but I was basically told the exact same thing as you. I know it sucks that we have to deal with inconveniences and annoyances like this, but at least Tesla sold us one hell of a car. There are trade offs with everything. Does anyone know if this problem is prevalent in the model S and X?

I had a mobile service tech come out for this issue. He said that the cameras have a vapour barrier but they’ve realized the vapour barrier is actually making the issue worse. So he recommended removing the barriers. But he also said that it won’t completely solve the issue and that preheating the car is the best way to avoid it.

So far about 3 weeks after having the vapour barrier removed, I haven’t had them fog up.

I had a mobile service tech come out for this issue. He said that the cameras have a vapour barrier but they’ve realized the vapour barrier is actually making the issue worse. So he recommended removing the barriers. But he also said that it won’t completely solve the issue and that preheating the car is the best way to avoid it.

So far about 3 weeks after having the vapour barrier removed, I haven’t had them fog up.
I've preheated every single time I've had this issue happen. Were you able to remove the vapour barrier, or the mobile service tech had to do it? Also, would the removal of this barrier cause any other unforeseen issues in the future with the camera?

I've preheated every single time I've had this issue happen. Were you able to remove the vapour barrier, or the mobile service tech had to do it? Also, would the removal of this barrier cause any other unforeseen issues in the future with the camera?
The mobile service tech removed them, I didn’t watch so can’t comment on the process. He didn’t mention any potential issues that could result from removing them

Both my B pillar vapor barriers were removed a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday in Chicago it was around 2F, the B piller AND front cameras were all blocked by condensation. I'm not going to contact service as it rarely gets this freezing here. However I'm curious on next gen Tesla models how they will resolve this. Wouldn't Arctic Circle owners have this issue nonstop?

Both my B pillar vapor barriers were removed a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday in Chicago it was around 2F, the B piller AND front cameras were all blocked by condensation. I'm not going to contact service as it rarely gets this freezing here. However I'm curious on next gen Tesla models how they will resolve this. Wouldn't Arctic Circle owners have this issue nonstop?
No actually. It doesn’t occur much when the temperature is constant, it’s more prone to occur when the temperature shifts between below freezing and above.

I'm not adding a lot to the conversation but i also got the visit from the Mobile service last Friday. He told me about removing the barrier but while it can help making the fog go away faster, it can also make the camera foggy faster.

I choosed to keep it as it is for now. Maybe there will be a permanent fix later. Will see how it will affect FSD next winter.

The tech also told me that in the software, the car now expect some fog in the first minutes of driving so it will delay the error message on the screen, waiting for the fog to clear. After a while if the fog is still not cleared / there is still obstruction, the message will appear.

Had mine into the SC in London yesterday. After a bit of pushing they replaced the cameras and appliques. First thing this morning problem was still there, so no better. No surprise really as the issue I think is caused mainly by the sun shining on the black surround that houses the camera, this heats it up (since it is black), releases moisture from it into the air between the camera and the glass which then condenses on the glass because it is cold outside. With mine it consistently happens when (a) is it cold outside and (b) when the sun shines on the camera and surround. I think the issue is to do with material that surrounds the camera, which absorbs moisture which is then released when the sun shines on it, so it is more of an issue than just the humidity within the vehicle itself. Having said that I have seen advice on other threads that turning up the a/c and making sure it isn't on recirculation. Will try that the next time and then report back. Personally I would say it needs a redesign of the materials and/or airflow