Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any photos of partial hood PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to be repetitive, there are plenty of threads discussing the merits of full vs partial PPF but I can’t find any images of anyone who has done the partial hood.

I drop my car off on Wednesday and am still deciding whether or not to do the complete partial package which is partial hood, fender, bumper, mirrors or my original plan to do the full hood and bumper, the prices will be nearly the same.

I’m apprehensive to do the partial hood because I don’t see how a film can be so protective and yet not visible across the hood?

I’m hoping folks that have done partial hood can share their experience/pics?

I had the partial hood/fenders/mirrors done on my red P3D. I can't see the demarcation line on the hood unless I'm standing behind it and really looking for it - I can't see it head on. I couldn't justify the additional $500.00 for the full front wrap.

Give it a few months to a year when dirt accumulates and sits in sun for awhile you will start to see ;)

Ok thanks everyone! I am shocked that there isn't a package that is just fender and full hood...like, why?? I had reached out to three different companies locally and they were all surprised by the request but would all accommodate it. I just know I personally will see the line or just being aware of possibly seeing the line will drive me nuts.

I'm not entirely sure what just bumper and hood will cost so I'll post an update tomorrow for anyone else interested in doing this.

They do sell a kit that is just the full hood and fenders, you mean just installing the fenders and hood and no front bumper??

2018 Tesla Model 3 3M Pro Series Clear Bra Full Hood and Full Fenders Protection Film Kit

I purchased a full frontal pre-cut Suntek kit from Ebay using a 15% OFF coupon that came out to be $624 ($724 -$100) discount.
I too debated whether to go partial or full, so I bit the bullet and went for the full coverage because of the coupon savings ($288 for partial hood and fenders + full bumper, etc). As far as installation costs, I knew that installers charge much more to do the complete hood and fender, so I decided to install the PPF film by myself. I started about two nights ago, beginning with the the headlights to practice. I have no previous experience installing PPF, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn... J/k LOL! I watched a ton of videos, and I am plastic model/RC enthusiast so applying decals, vinyl, and working with this kind of material wasn't alien to me.

So far I have completed both headlights and the front left fender (Two headlights on Sunday night, left front fender last night). To be honest, surprisingly, the pre-cut kit installs extremely close to the edge or the panels, and it really is up to the installer to determine how close you want it to be the edge (by stretching the material). I've found that that on the initial install, if the film doesn't go up to the edge of the panel, it installs very nicely with no lifting. You need to let the film cure and dry another day for it to give you proper adhesion so that it won't lift or get caught by a towel. If the film goes up the edge and overhangs a little, say for instance the front corner tip of the fender, or the top sharp edge of the headlight, you'll need to wait until Day 2 for the moisture to evaporate and then you can use a clean finger to seal off the edge and wrap it around the edge.

As others have mentioned, if dirt accumulates along the edge of the film over time, you simply need to hit it with a soap solution spray and squeegee the edge again, and that usually will remove all of the dirt. If dirt is getting under the edge, then something is wrong with the install. The PPF film sticks extremely close, and even if you wanted to remove it with your fingernail, it is pretty hard to pick it and lift it.
If you are anal about seeing a line, then partial is not for you. In my experience however, I have seen rock chips on the upper portions of my wife's Lexus RX hood, so it is entirely possible that the partial hood will protect a good amount of debris, but that one time it hits the top of your hood and knicks your paint, you'll be kicking yourself in the pants.

I'm planning on doing the other fender and hood tonight, but most likely will start with the fender because the full hood seems easier to install with simpler contours. I'll report back and take pics to show how it turns out. I know you were interested in the partial hood install pictures, but I'll try to take pictures of the film close to the edge so you can get an idea of what that line will look like.

fender4.jpg fender3.jpg fender2.jpg fender1.jpg

D'oh! Misstyped - bummer that you can't edit posts after a certain time. I meant I can't believe there aren't packages that are just full hood and front bumper.

Fender coverage would be great too but we were trying to stay under $2,200 for some protection and ceramic coat. Considering we had never even heard of PPF or ceramic before getting this car (we aren't car enthusiasts) this world was all new to us and we simply can't go above that. So I wanted to keep PPF at or under $1k and since I don't care about the fenders or side mirrors, I should be able to do hood and bumper for that. Hopefully.

Congrats on giving it a go yourself! I am not brave enough to! (Though I did vinyl the center console :cool:)

Reactions: Hkbruin
Just dropped her off this morning. Went with Suntek full hood and full bumper, and he convinced my husband to do partial fender. I think a seam on the fender will not be as obvious as what would have been on the hood, I am hoping I won't be too focused on it :) Came to ~$1,200. Plus 3 coats of Gyeon ceramic which I'm not sure about - he also offers Ceramic Pro but recommended the Gyeon, I think because we'd get more coats within our budget? I can't find much that compares the two, everything I read just compares Ceramic Pro and Opticoat. All in we are around ~$2,300, so just slightly over budget.

• Love
Reactions: JayNJ and P85_DA
Just dropped her off this morning. Went with Suntek full hood and full bumper, and he convinced my husband to do partial fender. I think a seam on the fender will not be as obvious as what would have been on the hood, I am hoping I won't be too focused on it :) Came to ~$1,200. Plus 3 coats of Gyeon ceramic which I'm not sure about - he also offers Ceramic Pro but recommended the Gyeon, I think because we'd get more coats within our budget? I can't find much that compares the two, everything I read just compares Ceramic Pro and Opticoat. All in we are around ~$2,300, so just slightly over budget.

Glad you ended up getting some protection on the fender. I always tell clients that it's best to do clearbra (as much as you can, ideally a full front end) before coating just to make sure your coating will go a long way. Having a coating on non-clearbra'd panels in the front can lead to a waste of money down the road.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Update: picked up the car first thing this morning. Looks pretty great and the paint correction and ceramic coat really brought the brilliance of the blue out. Unfortunately already had a couple rock chips on the bumper :(

Sharing photos for others since I was super concerned about seeing a seam for a partial hood and although I went with a full hood, I did do partial fenders. Consensus is that I really don’t mind it, it’s not noticeable AT ALL from the front or the side, it’s only visible from the rear. Attached are photos from the three angles in both full sun and later in the day when it was not as bright.

Still glad I didn’t do partial hood though ;)

Attachments

• C59B92B7-708F-4890-9624-2DCCA4B42CBA.jpeg
    C59B92B7-708F-4890-9624-2DCCA4B42CBA.jpeg
    586.7 KB · Views: 967
  • AFC9E325-0CC4-4390-837B-C32A5F61EB30.jpeg
    AFC9E325-0CC4-4390-837B-C32A5F61EB30.jpeg
    375.3 KB · Views: 944
  • 49940977-FE9D-4C5D-A741-843950FE3DC1.jpeg
    49940977-FE9D-4C5D-A741-843950FE3DC1.jpeg
    339.4 KB · Views: 932
  • 2C386C39-7533-4743-BB60-F83C1D7161B9.jpeg
    2C386C39-7533-4743-BB60-F83C1D7161B9.jpeg