Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any plans for 4G on the MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something else to consider: Tesla is going to hit the 100,000 car mark within the next quarter, possibly extending into the second quarter of 2015. That means they are 1/2 way to the magic number of 200,000, which is "magic" because that's where your $7,500 tax credit disappears. How long it takes to reach that number will depend on production speed, and the Model X rolling off, but I would bet that it's prior to 3G going off-line.

I have 4G/LTE on my iPhone 6 (AT&T), so if i really need those data speeds while traveling, I'll pull over and use the phone (unless I'm missing something, isn't that the real alternative?)

It has to be 200k sold in the US not just 200k manufactured for the credit to start to roll off.

Just to clarify the credit gets reduced but does not disappear right away. It is phased out and reduced first to 50% then 25%.

http://www.irs.gov/irb/2009-48_IRB/ar09.html

Section 2. BACKGROUND

Section 30D provides for a credit for certain new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicles. The credit is equal to the sum of: (1) $2,500, plus (2) for a vehicle which draws propulsion energy from a battery with at least 5 kilowatt hours of capacity, $417, plus an additional $417 for each kilowatt hour of battery capacity in excess of 5 kilowatt hours. Under § 30D(b)(3), that portion of the credit determined by battery capacity cannot exceed $5,000. Therefore, the total amount of the credit allowed for a vehicle is limited to $7,500. The new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”). Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period. After December 31, 2009, a vehicle that qualifies for a credit under § 30 does not qualify for the credit under § 30D

I had a 2005 MB SLK350 that had an analog cell phone built in for their system equivalent to GM's OnStar. After owning the car for several (at least 5) years, I got a notice from MB that they were switching from an analog system to the current digital system they employ. Per their instructions, I contacted the local MB dealer who swapped the analog cell module for a digital cell module. This was done at no cost to me. If #G went away in the near future, I believe Tesla would do something similar, or at worst charge a small fee.

Lucky you. In '08 I paid about $1800 to have my '01 E-class updated. On the plus side that included Mercedes Teleaid for as long as I own the car. I think Mercedes was charging $200+/year for the Teleaid service. That saved me $1200+ to date which makes the cost of the upgrade a bit more palatable.

Same for me with my 04 CL. It was about $2K.

There wound up being a class action lawsuit about it, since the EOL for analog was known when the car was sold. It's one of the only class action suits I have seen, which actually had a payout more than a couple of bucks. It was something like $1K in cash, plus another $1K rebate on your next Benz.

The analog history is very telling. Will have to see what Nissan does but isn't 3G termination a decade away?
I couldn't find any hard date on 3G termination but I remember 2027 being floated somewhere.

Does anyone know if processing power got upgraded in Autopilot cars? Would seem like it would be needed at some point. You don't add 16 sensors to a system that is already overtaxed without upgrading - right?

Yes - Tesla - we want faster internet (and faster screens). We also want better infotainment.

With the latest firmware update, my Model S falls back to 2G (Edge) in remote areas (yes we have some of those in Germany :wink:) which greatly improved functionality of the map. OTOH 3G service is slow in a Model S in Germany because the provider selected by Tesla sucks. In Scandinavia the bits are flying.

Here is what I expect Tesla to do:
unveil a greatly improved center console on Model X launch: 4G/LTE upgraded processor, faster browser, drawing lines on the rear camera, you name it.
Model S as of a certain production date will get the update, too. After some hassles, existing owners will get offered an upgrade for serious money, because the antenna upgrade is requires work.

For those of you who like to tether your Model S to a smartphone hotspot, you should check out the app called "trigger"... You could use it to set a rule that when your phone pairs to the Model S on Bluetooth to enable hotspot, and on disconnect from Bluetooth disable hotspot. Alternatively if your phone supports it, you could buy some NFC tags, slap them in the car and program your phone to enable/disable hotspot whenever you wave your phone over them.
Not sure if this app exists on iPhone but would be shocked if there wasn't something similar

Not that any of their cars compare...But, I believe any 2015 Chevy is 4G LTE optional

Yes and you have to pay for data. You can add the car to your AT&T account as another device for $10 a month (using your accounts data limit) or you can pay for it separately.

In my opinion I'd rather have free (for 4 years) 3g and be able to stream without caring then have 4G and be paying for it.

SO perhaps we're missing out on a key point: Tesla uses the 3G data to get mounds of informatics on the car, location, logs, patches, upgraded software - that's why it's free - because THEY need it and the valuable info they get from all our cars. IF they change to 4G on the Model X, it may be as an option (3G standard free, 4G/LTE at an addition cost either lifetime, or monthly). IF 3G on ATT were to be mothballed, then they would HAVE to offer a retrofit, because they will still need to be connected to the car.

SO perhaps we're missing out on a key point: Tesla uses the 3G data to get mounds of informatics on the car, location, logs, patches, upgraded software - that's why it's free - because THEY need it and the valuable info they get from all our cars. IF they change to 4G on the Model X, it may be as an option (3G standard free, 4G/LTE at an addition cost either lifetime, or monthly). IF 3G on ATT were to be mothballed, then they would HAVE to offer a retrofit, because they will still need to be connected to the car.
You are right. They need it for firmware updates and remote assistance and diagnostics.

I have a '98 Olds Aurora that had OnStar. Now it just has a few holes where it used to be installed. There was no option to update whatsoever. That was an $1100 option at the time. That really frustrated me.

But that's one of the reasons why I bought a Tesla. Their customer service still amazes me. So when 3G goes away, I expect a free upgrade.

I'm just going to leave this here:

Untitled.jpg

At some point it would be nice if there was an "Tech Package Update" from Tesla that updated the CPU/GPU board and added LTE (priced at say $1000-$2000).

In a few years the slow map drawing will look down right antique, while the rest of the car will age extremely well.