Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any plans for Superchargers in Richmond VA or Norfolk VA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case you are still looking for a Supercharger in Richmond, there is one just outside the city: 9950 Brook Rd., Glen Allen, VA. There are 8 Superchargers there, inside a shopping center, with lots of stores (like a Barnes & Noble) and eating places (like a Panera) within walking distance.

A red dot near Norfolk now appears in the "Coming Soon" category of the updated Tesla map today. Many people will be happy that they'll be able to bypass the DC area by using the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.
RB - you made my day! Can't wait - totally eliminates need for range mode and can make the trip with the family in probably same amount of time as the ICE mobile, including potty breaks.

Hope that the Norfolk VA supercharger is up and running by August. Had to go down I95 to Rock Mount and then to Frisco. The extra 100 mile added a couple of hours travel time. Anybody have any news as to when and were the SC will be located?

Apparently Virginia put in an EV charging station on the west bound lanes of I-64 in Kent County:

https://www.dom.com/about/environment/electric-vehicle-charging-stations.jsp

Unfortunately, it's 110v, but at least it's a 20A circuit (according to the video from 2009). The Dominion web page mentions a possible upgrade to 240v. Maybe some lobbying to VA / Dominion Power will convince them to upgrade it to J1772 80A in both directions.
One of those dual 110v -> 240v solutions might help get double the juice.

I did speak to a very nice lady out at the rest stop and she verified that there are 2 110v charging stations and from the video, it looks like each can take 2 cars for a total of 4.

At the exit a mile or so away from the rest stop there is now a CHAdeMO charger next to a few restaurants. I think it was just installed a few weeks ago. In theory, Dominion was going to upgrade the charging station to 220v, but I have no idea what the timetable is.

I asked Tesla when the Virginia Beach/Norfolk supercharger was expected to open and where exactly it was located. They told me that they didn't disclose the exact location, but that they projected it would open in "[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]late May or early June" [/FONT]I'm thinking that it must be in construction by now, but I did a pretty diligent search of the Virginia Beach permit site and couldn't find it, so I'm assuming it is actually located in Norfolk. If you can search permits in Norfolk, I can't figure it out. My best guess is somewhere off Northhampton Blvd. Tesla did say it would be "easily accessible from I-64"

I'm guessing it'll be at The Gallery at Military Circle mall, right near the intersection of I-64 and I-264.

1st post here! I don't have a Tesla yet, waiting on SC's to make my trips to a few of my favorite places more convenient, and the "Coming Soon" dot in Hampton Roads is one I've been following.

I spent 15 years in the area, and many of my friends are still there. It's sentimental, because I met the wife there as well.

TL;DR version:

Military Circle Mall is being foreclosed on in May, according to the local paper's website down there. The more likely spot is the stretch of Northampton Blvd between the CBBT and 64. There are a few hotel parking lots and even a Wawa they could sign a deal with. It's pretty central for that area. Plus the rumor is that they're building an outlet mall where the golf course is now, so honestly....that is probably where the SC is going to go, provided the deal to build the place doesn't fall through.

1st post here! I don't have a Tesla yet, waiting on SC's to make my trips to a few of my favorite places more convenient, and the "Coming Soon" dot in Hampton Roads is one I've been following.

I spent 15 years in the area, and many of my friends are still there. It's sentimental, because I met the wife there as well.

TL;DR version:

Military Circle Mall is being foreclosed on in May, according to the local paper's website down there. The more likely spot is the stretch of Northampton Blvd between the CBBT and 64. There are a few hotel parking lots and even a Wawa they could sign a deal with. It's pretty central for that area. Plus the rumor is that they're building an outlet mall where the golf course is now, so honestly....that is probably where the SC is going to go, provided the deal to build the place doesn't fall through.

Welcome to the forums! Guess you know more about the area than I do :), since I'm kinda in the boonies out west here.

I still would prefer the I-64/264 intersection because it's a more central intersection of major interstates, but there's a lot of retail in that area--so lots of possibilities.

Welcome to the forums! Guess you know more about the area than I do :), since I'm kinda in the boonies out west here.

I still would prefer the I-64/264 intersection because it's a more central intersection of major interstates, but there's a lot of retail in that area--so lots of possibilities.

between my time and the Navy, and the time I spent there after I got out, I was in Hampton Roads for 15 years total. As much as i loathed it at times, its ok in small doses now (visits).

I think the placement of the SC is really hinging on that outlet mall. Especially if it is the same developer that TMC seems to be using for all of the malls they're placing SC's in.

TL;DR version:

Not a rumor re: Outlet. Here's the location off Simon Premium Outlet's website. Says it's opening Fall 2015:

I-64 and Hwy. 13 (Northampton Boulevard Exit) in Norfolk, Virginia - LakeWright Golf Course next to Norfolk International Airport.

Simon has SC's in other centers - logical to add to the new one. I'm in the shopping center business - I will try to find out and report back for sure....

Not a rumor re: Outlet. Here's the location off Simon Premium Outlet's website. Says it's opening Fall 2015:

I-64 and Hwy. 13 (Northampton Boulevard Exit) in Norfolk, Virginia - LakeWright Golf Course next to Norfolk International Airport.

Simon has SC's in other centers - logical to add to the new one. I'm in the shopping center business - I will try to find out and report back for sure....

I wasn't sure if it was Simon. I know TMC has deals with another developer as well (DR, I think). But Simon outlet malls are definetely the demographic they're looking for. That spot is fairly centralized for Hampton Roads, and for people coming down the Eastern Shore, it's perfect. You'd hit Salisbury, MD, and continue on 13S. 140 miles later, you're at the Norfolk SC, and less than a mile after that, you can pick up 64 towards OBX.

For me, I'd be staying in Downtown Norfolk or VB....so I'd be able to use the handful of ChaDEMO's already in place.

It's getting close to time for me to make my decision on when to buy. :)

The more likely spot is the stretch of Northampton Blvd between the CBBT and 64.

That is exactly the exit I first thought of as well because of the proximity to the tunnel. The problem is that there really aren't any restaurants close to the exit, unless you head away from the tunnel towards Military Circle/Janaf. Military Highway near Qdoba would make sense and still be off the Northhampton exit. That rumored outlet mall would be perfect, but no way its ready nearly in time.

Greenbrier has lots of places to kill time, but it is pretty far out of the way for people using the Bay Bridge Tunnel or even for people heading to Virginia Beach. I'd be very surprised if it was that far south.

agreed. with the way they are trying to revitalize downtown Norfolk, I wouldn't be too surprised to see it end up closer to there. It's not as centralized as Northampton Blvd (near 13 and 64), but moreso than Greenbrier.

Maybe the Town Center area of VB?

I'd be OK with it being anywhere...then we wouldn't have to drive my wife's boring CVT Impreza down that way. :wink:

agreed. with the way they are trying to revitalize downtown Norfolk, I wouldn't be too surprised to see it end up closer to there. It's not as centralized as Northampton Blvd (near 13 and 64), but moreso than Greenbrier.

Maybe the Town Center area of VB?

I'd be OK with it being anywhere...then we wouldn't have to drive my wife's boring CVT Impreza down that way. :wink:

I've driven down from MA 3X in my Model S, twice before Salisbury, MD was opened.
As long as you find good L2 charging (read: Nissan dealer) it is definitely do-able.
The last two times I went were in the middle of winter.