Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any plans to release an acceleration boost for the refreshed 2021 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost certainly not. They already engage in marketing BS to make the acceleration delta between the Plaid and LR seem bigger than it really is (0-60 measured with rollout vs. no rollout).

They have zero incentive to make LRs faster vs. up-selling to the Plaid.

Almost certainly not. They already do a bunch of marketing BS to make the delta between the Plaid and LR seem bigger than it really is.

They have zero incentive to make LRs faster vs. up-sell to the Plaid.
I agree with you.

The OP asked “Does Tesla have any plans…” and I laughed out loud. Tesla pretends like they have plans for things, after the fact, and even then no communication is ever clearly shared. If Tesla does anything it’ll be a surprise, poorly communicated, incongruent with previous statements, and backtracked shortly afterward.

Does tesla have any plans to release an acceleration boosts to the LR model S, similar to the ones they did for the 3. Would be cool to see a ludicrous upgrade or something that cuts a few milliseconds off the speed.
Almost certainly not. They already engage in marketing BS to make the acceleration delta between the Plaid and LR seem bigger than it really is (0-60 measured with rollout vs. no rollout).

They have zero incentive to make LRs faster vs. up-selling to the Plaid.
yea that’s what i was thinking…. maybe eventually there will be a third party upgrade

yea that’s what i was thinking…. maybe eventually there will be a third party upgrade
Doubtful that you will see a third party upgrade, in my opinion. Even if someone was to develop such, it would most likely require an owner to hack their car to gain root access to the system, for such to be possible.

The odds of Plaid getting a performance bump from Tesla next year are more likely, IMHO.

Reactions: KyleDay
Does tesla have any plans to release an acceleration boosts to the LR model S, similar to the ones they did for the 3. Would be cool to see a ludicrous upgrade or something that cuts a few milliseconds off the speed.

I could see that once sales start to plateau and they would not be stealing from Plaid orders, they will offer it to all the LR owners out there. That would be a large market of free money.

Doesn't the Plaid have an extra motor? Are we saying LR can do < 3.1 with two motors?
The LR has more top end acceleration and a higher trap speed than the old P100D/Performance S so it's speculated that it's software limited at the low end. Don't forget that the old S only had 2 motors and had a sub 2.5 sec 0-60.

I understand that there is no incentive for Tesla to do it, but if there was an unlock I'd probably pay $10k for it. I am curious to see once someone "jailbreaks" their car if they can make it much quicker.

Reactions: mp1024
The LR has more top end acceleration and a higher trap speed than the old P100D/Performance S so it's speculated that it's software limited at the low end. Don't forget that the old S only had 2 motors and had a sub 2.5 sec 0-60.

I understand that there is no incentive for Tesla to do it, but if there was an unlock I'd probably pay $10k for it. I am curious to see once someone "jailbreaks" their car if they can make it much quicker.
exactly why i brought up the question. i’m sure they are just limiting the acceleration so more people buy the plaid