Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any point is buying a type 2 cable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lerxt

Feb 21, 2014
Australia
Anyone have any thoughts on buying a a type 2 charging cable in southern Australia? I've bought a 5 pin 32 amp tail for my UMC but seeing a fair few BYO type 2 chargers around. I’m wondering if longer term owners find them useful when owning a M3 in Oz?

I have one for my Model S.
Because it's the original "Dual Internal Charger" Type I can suck down 22kw an hour via these chargers (If Supported) so it can be a good charging option (especially if free).

There's a number of places locally in Melbourne that I use them a bit including
- Local Sports Stadium
- Local Shopping Centre/Cinema
- Local Woolworths Supermarket

In terms of travelling there's been some Motels/Hotels that have had some Type 2 Chargers that I've used them at... but not a lot.

As DC Fast Chargers roll out more and more, and CCS2 has become the Standard for connection the need for a Type 2 Cable probably diminishes.
I have friends with Model 3's and they bought one and it's still in the Wrapping in the Boot 12 months on...

Anyone have any thoughts on buying a a type 2 charging cable in southern Australia? I've bought a 5 pin 32 amp tail for my UMC but seeing a fair few BYO type 2 chargers around. I’m wondering if longer term owners find them useful when owning a M3 in Oz?

Do you have access to home charging or will you be dependent on public chargers? If the latter, it could well be useful.

Reactions: Maximillan
I've bought a 5 pin 32 amp tail for my UMC but seeing a fair few BYO type 2 chargers around.
These serve completely different purposes. UMC tails are for caravan parks, showgrounds, and industrial buildings in remote areas. Type 2 cables are for suburban shopping centres.

Shopping centre chargers are for folks who can't charge at home, or who do a lot of across town driving far from home. And less so nowadays as ARENA Future Fuels Fund 50kW chargers are popping up everywhere, and as EV ranges keep increasing.

In the good old days an EV needed to always be charging whenever it was parked. Think Nissan LEAF and the like. Nowadays you can probably go 3-5 days with a standard range car (assuming typical driving habits) between charging (even though nightly charging is still very much recommended).

If you can charge at home, then there's little reason to get a cable that lets you snare free power from a shopping centre unless you do a lot of driving. But if you want to, meh, get it.

I purchased one for my recent road trip just in case some charger somewhere that I really needed was BYO cable. Because as @Chuq says, if you come across that one time when you need it but don’t have it, you’ll kick yourself.

In the end I didn’t use it and may never use it, but it’s now in the sub-boot with my 5-pin UMC adaptor. So I’m pretty well set to plug in to anything should the need ever arise.

These serve completely different purposes. UMC tails are for caravan parks, showgrounds, and industrial buildings in remote areas. Type 2 cables are for suburban shopping centres.

Shopping centre chargers are for folks who can't charge at home, or who do a lot of across town driving far from home. And less so nowadays as ARENA Future Fuels Fund 50kW chargers are popping up everywhere, and as EV ranges keep increasing.

In the good old days an EV needed to always be charging whenever it was parked. Think Nissan LEAF and the like. Nowadays you can probably go 3-5 days with a standard range car (assuming typical driving habits) between charging (even though nightly charging is still very much recommended).

If you can charge at home, then there's little reason to get a cable that lets you snare free power from a shopping centre unless you do a lot of driving. But if you want to, meh, get it.
Well yes, obviously they serve different purposes and I would have thought it was clear that I’m trying to have different charging options for long distance trips.

The question is are they commonly needed when driving to a variety of locations. Charging at home is a separate issue.

Reactions: johnchidgey
There are a good number of BYO AC chargers around where I live. I wonder if these units will continue to get rolled out in kerbside places for opportunity charging. Not having a cable makes installation and maintenance cheaper.

Probably not your stamping ground, but in Qld there are AC backup chargers located with the one single solitary DC stall in town. You'll want a Type2 cable if travelling up there out of supercharger reach and the single DC stall is in use, ICEd, or out of service. (Not complaining, at least they exist - NRMA doesn't provide AC backups in NSW at all.)

Probably not your stamping ground, but in Qld there are AC backup chargers located with the one single solitary DC stall in town. You'll want a Type2 cable if travelling up there out of supercharger reach and the single DC stall is in use, ICEd, or out of service.
I actually saw a presentation from a Model 3 owner who was road-tripping that route with another Model 3 owner. They would alternate who used DC and who used AC at each stop. The sites were close enough together that the ~45min burst on AC was enough to see them through. Not sure what would have happened if a site was busy!

Further to OPs question, another example (my situation) - I got my home EVSE when I only had a Leaf (different connector) and didn't know how far away the Model 3 would be - so I got one without an attached cable. My plan was that I would get two Type 2 cables, one for home and one to keep in the boot.

Turns out I never really had demand for the second cable. The local car parks where I may want to have a "convenience charge" have, oddly enough, tethered cables with Type 2 connectors. I recently did a long road trip (away for a week) so just took my home Type 2 cable with me.

Of course this only works if you haven't already got a home charger, but intend to install one at some point.

Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
Try charging in Newcastle without one.
I found myself in Newcastle having travelled there to make an appointment and lost too much energy due to bad weather. They have several Chargefox chargers needing BYO cable. I forgot I had the cable at the bottom of the sub boot.
In contrast, travelling in the QLD Sunshine Coast hinterland I didn’t use it at all.

Insurance. Just don’t forget you’ve got it!

Whatever cables you've got, carry them in the frunk cause if they are in the basement and the boot is full of luggage, you'll not want to extract them.
The same applies to the emergency tyre pump.
Be a little bit careful if carrying cables in the frunk! My old J1772 adapter once got wedged in the emergency release button. It was just the right size to keep popping my frunk open as I drove down the street away from home, at any bump in the road!

Not much of an issue with Type 2 cables, thankfully!

Reactions: johnchidgey