Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any policy/tax reason to pick up car in January instead of December if AGI >300K?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a December expected delivery date for our Model Y 7 Seater, after we placed the reservation in the end of March. We are above the 300K AGI. Is there any tax benefit/credit/rebate or other benefit to delaying until Jan 2023? We live in California.

Would the car itself be any different if received in 2022 vs 2023? Sensors, model year, etc?

In the same situation. Same car. At this point, sounds like USS are gone. Read about Matrix headlights but presumably we will get getting from Fremont. 4680 battery not happening.

With the discount for Dec delivery, seems no brained to take it. Since we won’t be getting any tax rebates.

In the same situation. Same car. At this point, sounds like USS are gone. Read about Matrix headlights but presumably we will get getting from Fremont. 4680 battery not happening.

With the discount for Dec delivery, seems no brained to take it. Since we won’t be getting any tax rebates.
Yes, I went to Tesla today to ask some questions. They are saying the car we would get in December will be the same as that we will get in January or any other upcoming month. Hopefully that is accurate. I called CA rebates, talked to our accountant, looked online, and it looks like if your AGI is over 300K filing jointly, we will not get any form of tax credit by waiting. I asked if this policy could change, and I was told it would not. So it seems like we should take the December discount?

Guess the other reason to consider is that a MY is frankly pretty overpriced @70-75k following all the price hikes when you look at it objectively and when comparing to a similarly priced luxury non-EV car. Seems most buyers now are more emotional than objective. Finishes of a Civic with a supercomputer inside it. Prob really worth 50-55k (35-40k for the car, add 10k for the EV/brains). sure you’re paying for exclusive supercharger network access but that benefit is going away too.

Feel they had benefit of being first to market but with the economy slowing down and legit alternatives out there, they will undoubtedly need to lower the price back to a more reasonable level. Just depends if you want to ride the wave.

Guess the other reason to consider is that a MY is frankly pretty overpriced @70-75k following all the price hikes when you look at it objectively and when comparing to a similarly priced luxury non-EV car. Seems most buyers now are more emotional than objective. Finishes of a Civic with a supercomputer inside it. Prob really worth 50-55k (35-40k for the car, add 10k for the EV/brains). sure you’re paying for exclusive supercharger network access but that benefit is going away too.

Feel they had benefit of being first to market but with the economy slowing down and legit alternatives out there, they will undoubtedly need to lower the price back to a more reasonable level. Just depends if you want to ride the wave.
Yes I agree the price was reasonable when it first came out at 49K, but they have increased the base price by 10K in 2 years. Our base price if we take it home this month with be 59K, but with add ons, taxes, fees, it will be around 69K which just seems overpriced.

Reactions: Mike7564
Agreed with the price. The ride quality on the 3 and Y are just okay. With the 3, at least it feels really nimble. The Y has not great ride quality and because of height, doesn't drive like a sport's sedan.
We have 2 Tesla's in the family including one coming up on 8 years.
$70k for a Y - no way.