Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Porsche defectors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My daily driver is a convertible Porsche 996 and I have a Performance Model 3 (with Performance Upgrade) ordered. I enjoy my current car and am a little apprehensive about the move. While the maintenance costs have been obscene, I bought it used and the total ownership costs will pale in comparison to the P3. I can't help but think about the fact I could pick up a much newer used 911 for less.

I think I've boiled down my main reasons for going Tesla to the following:
  • Performance - It sounds like the P3 is going to have amazing capabilities in it's own way. There's more to the story than 0-60 times, but I'm optimistic.
  • Technology - The allure of "Full Self Driving" is just too intriguing to pass up. It feels a little like a $3,000 hail Mary at this stage, but it would be incredible if they pull it off and fun to be part of the early process.
  • Some saving graces on the costs... there's nothing that will erase the high cost of the car, but at least there are some mitigating factors to reduce the sting. Probably lower maintenance costs, fuel costs, and fingers crossed, maybe even a tax credit.
The Model 3 is also probably a much more practical car, but who ever had their passions stirred by practicality? Still, it's a nice addition if you can have your cake and eat it too.

A silly comparison of apples and oranges, I know. Anyone else afflicted by similar crazy rationalizations?

2015 Macan Turbo sale pending as we speak, Model 3 Performance ordered with delivery by October (according to Tesla). When I bought the Macan in January '15, I really wanted a Model S but was scared to pull the trigger on a total EV at the time for some reason. I have always regretted not getting what I wanted. While the Macan has been great, I'm excited to finally get my Tesla and especially the Model 3 which is all the size I need.

Reactions: hiroshiy
A little bit off topic: one day I parked alone side a Porsche, they were like twins::)
F5B64F6F-34FC-4ECE-8EC5-1CD451496B70.jpeg4B813A3A-7F60-4ADA-9951-CDC16A35FE64.jpeg

A little bit off topic: one day I parked alone side a Porsche, they were like twins::)
View attachment 317661View attachment 317662

I need some help here, they are both white?

I am probably never going to have the money for either a P3 or a Porsche. However, the instant torque of an electric motor I know quite well. You will never be disappointed about the P3's performance specs. At first you will be missing the engine sound when holding still at the red lights, but as soon as it turns green you will forget all about it.

Enjoy your P3!

If you ever take it to the track please share on YouTube :)

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
86, 911 owner. Fun to drive, but lots of maintenance since 130-170k miles. Engine rebulds, air leak and fuel pressure issues, like expensive things that go on an on. I expect the ME P to run 300k no problem designed for 1mil miles.....a model S on Tesloop recently went 400k miles. Interesting to see how little maintenance was required

Reactions: SmartElectric
My daily driver is a convertible Porsche 996 and I have a Performance Model 3 (with Performance Upgrade) ordered. I enjoy my current car and am a little apprehensive about the move. While the maintenance costs have been obscene, I bought it used and the total ownership costs will pale in comparison to the P3. I can't help but think about the fact I could pick up a much newer used 911 for less.

• Performance - It sounds like the P3 is going to have amazing capabilities in it's own way. There's more to the story than 0-60 times, but I'm optimistic.
  • Technology - The allure of "Full Self Driving" is just too intriguing to pass up. It feels a little like a $3,000 hail Mary at this stage, but it would be incredible if they pull it off and fun to be part of the early process.
  • Some saving graces on the costs... there's nothing that will erase the high cost of the car, but at least there are some mitigating factors to reduce the sting. Probably lower maintenance costs, fuel costs, and fingers crossed, maybe even a tax credit.
The Model 3 is also probably a much more practical car, but who ever had their passions stirred by practicality? Still, it's a nice addition if you can have your cake and eat it too.

A silly comparison of apples and oranges, I know. Anyone else afflicted by similar crazy rationalizations?
Not a fan of 996's so that would be an easy decision for me, but I have never looked back from the decision to replace my beloved 993 with a Model S.

Long time Porsche driver, sold my 997 Carrera S to get the P3 after having virtually never driving the Porsche after buying my Model S. The Tesla is in a different league for street driving. The Tesla simply did everything better on the street. I am still keeping a full Porsche 996 track car until I see how the P3 is on the track, because the Model S was not good on the track.

You will not miss the Porsche at all, except maybe for bragging to friends. The 911 does still have more bling to the average person, but from a driving perspective, no contest.

I'm curious, would you would get the Taycan (Mission E) if that was available right now over the Model 3?

I'm curious, would you would get the Taycan (Mission E) if that was available right now over the Model 3?

I know I personally would be very interested. If it looked just like the concept, probably. Only because I think the concept is gorgeous, and I have more faith in the production quality and longevity of the company. I know it would be more expensive, and that if Tesla ran into insurmountable financial problems it would likely just get bought out by another company, but I mostly love the combination of how an EV drives, the sportiness of the vehicle, and the convenience of charging at home as well.

• Disagree
Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
I know I personally would be very interested. If it looked just like the concept, probably. Only because I think the concept is gorgeous, and I have more faith in the production quality and longevity of the company. I know it would be more expensive, and that if Tesla ran into insurmountable financial problems it would likely just get bought out by another company, but I mostly love the combination of how an EV drives, the sportiness of the vehicle, and the convenience of charging at home as well.
The Taycan is definitely a great looking car. From what Porsche has said, the production model should be very close to the concept. The one deal breaker for me is that they are not focusing on the technology. So I don't think there will be anything similar to EAP.

I put in a reservation (Free) for the Mission E "Taycan" this morning. The specs look very similar to a Performance Model 3. I like the exterior design of the Porsche a lot better but to not see it being a daily driver. I would say there is about a 5% chance a put a deposit down and 1% chance I order.

I put in a reservation (Free) for the Mission E "Taycan" this morning. The specs look very similar to a Performance Model 3. I like the exterior design of the Porsche a lot better but to not see it being a daily driver. I would say there is about a 5% chance a put a deposit down and 1% chance I order.
I think right now that's what puts Tesla above the competition. The Model 3, S and X are all vehicles you can have as a daily driver.

Reactions: RScottyL