Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Porsche defectors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sorry if already posted, following up on communication from Porsche dealerships regarding the 'Taycan'.........Porsche is letting the dealers set the amount of deposit. Dealers have acknowledged that there are no details to be provided on the car, other than the name and concept picture, and it is likely 2-years out for any production. They are really selling the 'get in line' deposit really hard........wild west however, as i sent requests into (3) different regional dealerships and all (3) came back with different deposit numbers.....$750; $1000; and $2,500. I told them all that while the car looks cool, i'll wait on actual details of the car are provided.
There are a few photos of test mules in the wild. They didn't have the showroom glitz but still look really nice, the sexy curves are definitely there.

Asking for a $1000 (refundable, right?) deposit, or even $2000 if you scale to the likely eventual price tag, isn't entirely out of line compared to what Tesla asked for 2 years ago. Granted Tesla did name the floor of the stripped base, they didn't name anything else. Maybe they'll get away with it, maybe not, since they aren't blazing as fresh a trail as the Model 3 did.

Still, the "Porsche" name still means something and it's looking relatively isolated in it's price-product point. The stories that suggest the Taycan is meant as an "answer" Tesla's new Roadster is more a stretch than calling the Model 3 a competitor to it. Don't expect that much overlap at the top or the bottom of the Taycan.

There are a few photos of test mules in the wild. They didn't have the showroom glitz but still look really nice, the sexy curves are definitely there.

Asking for a $1000 (refundable, right?) deposit, or even $2000 if you scale to the likely eventual price tag, isn't entirely out of line compared to what Tesla asked for 2 years ago. Granted Tesla did name the floor of the stripped base, they didn't name anything else. Maybe they'll get away with it, maybe not, since they aren't blazing as fresh a trail as the Model 3 did.

Still, the "Porsche" name still means something and it's looking relatively isolated in it's price-product point. The stories that suggest the Taycan is meant as an "answer" Tesla's new Roadster is more a stretch than calling the Model 3 a competitor to it. Don't expect that much overlap at the top or the bottom of the Taycan.
Most articles I've read are calling the Taycan a Model S competitor. The price point will be way too high for it to be competing with the Model 3.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Most articles I've read are calling the Taycan a Model S competitor. The price point will be way too high for it to be competing with the Model 3.
Yes, Model S is probably closest because of sedan + price. Although that feels wrong because the S is a cruiser, that happens to be able to shine on the drag strip, not a trackable sports car. It's even harder to say with a straight face "this is Porsche's answer to a vehicle that'll be 8 years old when this answer starts to ship". ;)

I have a 987.2 Porsche Boxster S. This is the last of the hydraulic power steering, manual transmission, no turbo six cylinder, convertible. In other words, the ideal full experience ICE car from my point of view. I've kept it for now, but if forced to choose now, I'd keep the Model 3P that I drive most of the time. When Porsche makes an all electric Boxster, I may consolidate to one vehicle again though.

I owned and autocrossed a 986 Boxster in the early 2000's. It was a very fun car. The Model 3 AWD driving experience reminds me more of that car than any other I have owned in terms of steering and handling. The Model 3 is of course MUCH faster and has quicker steering with less feel, but the way it turns in reminds me so much of the Porsche. I'm sure Porsche's EV will be quite exciting.

No they still have not revealed the production car
They have started pulling some of the camo pieces off their mules. It's a lot more traditional/conventional looking than the "what if" marketing material that Porsche is still floating around. The big one is the suicide doors seem to have hit the cutting room floor.

It's still looking like it'll have the "soft glow of electric sex”, though.

2020 Porsche Taycan @ Top Speed

In the past I thought about getting Porsche Taycan after the Model S.

While Porsche Taycan looks awesome both exterior and interior, the 0-60 is "meh" and their 315 miles of range may be reduced by EPA standard.
When Porsche revealed or designed Taycan 3-4 years ago, it was going after Tesla Model S P85D 0-60.
During those 3-4 years Tesla made the gap between competition greater that even Model 3 gets that time.
By the time, Taycan is in production, we may see the new Model S that may make the competition like the joke given the pace Tesla is innovating.

But I must admit the interior of Taycan looks so much better.

Why can't they just make the Mission E the production car?

While Porsche Taycan looks awesome both exterior and interior, the 0-60 is "meh" and their 315 miles of range may be reduced by EPA standard.
But I must admit the interior of Taycan looks so much better.

Porsche is notorious for understating their 0-60 times and I expect it to be quite fast. The range will almost certainly be less than 300 miles using EPA standards. The interior is nicer for sure and will be a decent competitor with the Model S. The price is still up in the air but fully optioned I expect it to cost quite a bit but still slightly below/around P100D price. From everything we've seen so far, The Taycan is the only other real standout.

Does porsche have a similar feature to autopilot?

Audi certainly does, but I don't know if that will make it onto the Porsche.

I imagine there are a few people like me where it's likely going to really come down to autonomous features. If Tesla doesn't get any further than I'll probably jump ship to the Taycan.

If Tesla makes progress, and Porsche doesn't have anything close then I'll likely stick with Tesla.

With Tesla I went all in with EAP and FSD with the P3D+ so we'll see how that plays out. I don't expect Tesla to hit FSD, but I'm hoping for L3 by the time the Taycan is available.

My only other concern with the Taycan is it's looking to be quiet large. I don't know if I want to go back to that after experiencing the Model 3. I did love my Model S, but it was the size of a spaceship.

A little bit off topic: one day I parked alone side a Porsche, they were like twins::)
View attachment 317661View attachment 317662

I need some help here, they are both white?

I am probably never going to have the money for either a P3 or a Porsche. However, the instant torque of an electric motor I know quite well. You will never be disappointed about the P3's performance specs. At first you will be missing the engine sound when holding still at the red lights, but as soon as it turns green you will forget all about it.

Enjoy your P3!

If you ever take it to the track please share on YouTube :)

If you look at his Signature his 3 is not a P. Kind of hard to tell from the photo to see what kind of calpers he has on the wheels but they are gray not red. I'm sure he likes having someone think it's a P though!