Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Possible Model Y Update Info?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be precise, it doesn't come with all of the updates. It does have USB in the glovebox, includes a 64GB flash stick, and the metallic finished scroll wheels. Along with the previously noted updates, such as auto-dimming side mirrors.

It does not have the updated console and associated USB updates.

No recent buyer has checked for a single piece rear casting. Doing that is simply lifting the rear seat bottom to check for a centered joining bracket and stamped steel mounting tabs vs cast aluminum where the seat frame bolts down. I've seen the older two piece casting on early 2021 VINs person, and it's easy to tell once you know to look for that center bracket.

I also expect a modified trim panel that is more easily removed on tow equipped vehicles.

Sorry I meant it as "look at all these updates it has" not trying to imply it has all of the updates we've talked about in this thread.

I think I am 703XX... was hoping for all of those updates... but just missed the mark!
it would have been nice to have the USB in the glove compartment for security reasons

I have the double pane
and I think I have the auto dimming mirrors (I can see a border around the rear view mirror if that is of any indication... I only have like 70 kms on the odometer... so I haven't driven it enough to notice... or done any tests)

i do... dont know where it is... but it is literally just double the thickness of a pane of glass

I think I read somewhere that most windows are 4mm thick while windshields are 5mm

so I'd say the double pane windows are between 8-10mm?

It's not double-pane glass, its laminated glass. There is a difference between the two.
The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Using Laminated Glass Windows

Laminated glass is made by bonding multiple layers of glass together under high pressure and heat. This technique makes a single sheet of glass with multiple layers.

You can have a double-pane window with two panes of regular (tempered) glass, or a double-pane window with two panes of laminated glass, where each laminate is made of multiple layers.

So assuming 4mm thickness for a regular tempered glass, then its probably close to 5-6mm for laminated glass.

Also something I didn't think about until now:

Laminated glass has a tendency to stay in one piece due to the inner lining, and hence you don’t have the same concerns as you would with normal glass.

This means that someone trying to break your window to get in will have a hard time removing it since it doesn't shatter into small pieces like tempered glass. But this also means that if you need to get out of the car quickly through the window during an emergency, you won't be able to.

I think we all just got the free "Cybertruck glass" upgrade. :D

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: NASASpaceXlove
Agree. Glass, but no wheels or USB on 6966X or mirrors.
It’s more the build date and not vin, right? Vins don’t seem directly sequential to build date. Initially, on the laminated windows everyone thought vin 6300 or higher was the start. Then reports of 6270 were validated. Turns out it seemed like build date 10/17 ish was the start of laminated windows. Some colors at times seem to have lower vins. My MY black comes Monday. It’s build date was 11/07. Vin 67xx.

Reactions: jetsurgn
It’s more the build date and not vin, right? Vins don’t seem directly sequential to build date. Initially, on the laminated windows everyone thought vin 6300 or higher was the start. Then reports of 6270 were validated. Turns out it seemed like build date 10/17 ish was the start of laminated windows. Some colors at times seem to have lower vins. My MY black comes Monday. It’s build date was 11/07. Vin 67xx.

How can you see your build date prior to pickup?

It's not double-pane glass, its laminated glass. There is a difference between the two.
The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Using Laminated Glass Windows

That's different though than the laminated glass Tesla is using. Looking at the photos available of the new glass, the middle material is far thicker--and probably a different material--than the vinyl used in home laminated glass. I think it's a pretty reasonable assumption that Tesla would have wanted to increase both the thermal and acoustic insulation properties of the window, and sourced the middle laminate accordingly. Also, I think it's premature to assume the laminated glass won't shatter like regular glass. It all depends on what Tesla wanted to do with this glass and the properties of the middle laminate. Without either testing the glass or some kind of word from Tesla, we just don't know the "shatter" qualities of the glass.

Has anyone got the "Tesla Update" text?
Mine says 2-5 weeks for delivery. How much longer until I get my VIN? If mine is in the 6XXXX range, I mean to pass and wait for a car in the 7XXXX range.

I ordered Oct 23 and received Nov 15. My VIN was 703XX I believe.

I have the auto dimming lights (pretty sure... only have 90kms under the belt and no night driving yet... but I can see a rim around the mirrors)
I have the double pane glass
I do NOT have a center console update
I do NOT have the USB secured in the glove compartment
I do NOT have the metallic wheel controls on the steering wheel

I semi contemplated on complaining since I specifically asked if these were in the model I was going to be delivered. Of course they could not specifically tell me quickly (I think when they told me my vehicle was here it was like 4 days away approx Nov 11....LOL)

Would I reject the car based off not having these things? I didn't... but I guess at that time I didn't know how close it was. I knew it was close... thought it was going to be months... not like days. That said, I bet if you ordered now or rejected it now, you would not get another until after the new years.

Just a thought..... (these things are pretty minor... but I would probably wait .... lol)

I will say.... IMO.... the build quality looked pretty good.... panel gaps were almost non-existent....

I think i could point out maybe 4 or 5 small trim issues....rear seats were level and worked properly.... there is no vibrating sounds that I can hear yet..... Id say at least an 8 out of 10

That's different though than the laminated glass Tesla is using. Looking at the photos available of the new glass, the middle material is far thicker--and probably a different material--than the vinyl used in home laminated glass. I think it's a pretty reasonable assumption that Tesla would have wanted to increase both the thermal and acoustic insulation properties of the window, and sourced the middle laminate accordingly. Also, I think it's premature to assume the laminated glass won't shatter like regular glass. It all depends on what Tesla wanted to do with this glass and the properties of the middle laminate. Without either testing the glass or some kind of word from Tesla, we just don't know the "shatter" qualities of the glass.

Yes, agreed. Any volunteers to take a brick to their new Model Y? :D
I'm all for thermal/acoustic insulation, but if Tesla removed the shatter property, it would be a huge safety risk.
I just assumed it was the same glass as in the Cybertruck prototype, as the way it shattered (or not) was the same as home laminated glass.

This means that someone trying to break your window to get in will have a hard time removing it since it doesn't shatter into small pieces like tempered glass. But this also means that if you need to get out of the car quickly through the window during an emergency, you won't be able to.

Now don't go incorrectly scaring people.

You're thinking of the laminated glass that is bonded to the car like the front windshield. The door windows are not glued to the car. Once you break the door window glass, you will just push the shattered window into the car, or out of the car, depending on where you are, and it will fold out of the way like cardboard.