Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Possible Model Y Update Info?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey y’all.We put in our order for a Model Y LR (w/blue exterior,tow hitch, induction wheels, and white interior) yesterday, Friday the 23rd. I have been dreaming of owning a Tesla since the Model X came out, and I was finally able to persuade the family into getting one. The Y fits our needs perfectly. I have been lingering on these forums for a while now but just decided today to make an account today and ask some questions to some of my fellow Tesla enthusiasts. We assume we have 2021 vin as we were told by our sales advisor that those have been going out already but I know that doesn't mean really anything. I was wondering if anybody knows if a Y with a delivery time of November 20-December 18th should have the updates like glovebox USB port, new glass, updated interior, etc should come with the car? I was told somebody on Reddit had a Y delivered with the new glass. Also what happened to the rumors of a redesign/updated headlights on the M3 and MY. Last thing is somebody told me they heard of heated a heated steering wheel coming to the Y. Any idea of this being true? Thanks y’all, I’m beyond excited to join the Tesla Family!

ps: Any vanity plate ideas y’all are willing to give would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Wallstgrl
Hey y’all.We put in our order for a Model Y LR (w/blue exterior,tow hitch, induction wheels, and white interior) yesterday, Friday the 23rd. I have been dreaming of owning a Tesla since the Model X came out, and I was finally able to persuade the family into getting one. The Y fits our needs perfectly. I have been lingering on these forums for a while now but just decided today to make an account today and ask some questions to some of my fellow Tesla enthusiasts. We assume we have 2021 vin as we were told by our sales advisor that those have been going out already but I know that doesn't mean really anything. I was wondering if anybody knows if a Y with a delivery time of November 20-December 18th should have the updates like glovebox USB port, new glass, updated interior, etc should come with the car? I was told somebody on Reddit had a Y delivered with the new glass. Also what happened to the rumors of a redesign/updated headlights on the M3 and MY. Last thing is somebody told me they heard of heated a heated steering wheel coming to the Y. Any idea of this being true? Thanks y’all, I’m beyond excited to join the Tesla Family!

ps: Any vanity plate ideas y’all are willing to give would be greatly appreciated!

Congratulations! I am excited to pick mine up in two weeks. you will definitely get a 2021 and it will definitely have the updated glass. as far as the other upgrades goes nobody knows for sure when/if they will happen.

Reactions: sleepies
When you click on your "manage order" page, do you see a timeframe listed anywhere on the page? I ordered exactly the same car as you with the exception of Gemini wheels, I'm taking delivery in Atlanta (so presumably no real difference to Nashville in delivery time), and I've been waiting over six weeks with absolutely no updates. And I don't see a timeframe listed on my page.

My advisor has basically said that she won't have any ideas about timeframes until I'm assigned a VIN. I hope I don't have to wait until mid December to get my damn car. Three months is ridiculous.

This video mentions that there are 4 upgrades that are rolled out from VIN # 65,

1. Additional insulation in and around the doors and windows to cut down greatly on the in-cabin noise the MY is plagued with.

2. Double pane windows all around to dramatically help in keeping the cabin noise to a minimum. (all VIN's 63,000 and up)

3. All-new tail light assembly that is supposed to be brighter and more vibrant and different turn signals.

4. Redesigned buttons for all four doors that are marked clearer to display the fact that function as a "door handle"

5. Heat pump modification to make it less noisy.

The video can be seen here:

My question to everyone is, does anyone have any experience with requesting Tesla Service makes some or all of these changes to our MY's that came out before they made all these tweaks? Or do we have no recourse for getting double pane windows, new door release buttons/labeling (I know you can buy this from a third party but still)

It would be really great (perhaps very wishful thinking) if some or all of these upgrades could be taken care of via Tesla Support. Thoughts? Experiences?

This video mentions that there are 4 upgrades that are rolled out from VIN # 65,

1. Additional insulation in and around the doors and windows to cut down greatly on the in-cabin noise the MY is plagued with.

2. Double pane windows all around to dramatically help in keeping the cabin noise to a minimum. (all VIN's 63,000 and up)

3. All-new tail light assembly that is supposed to be brighter and more vibrant and different turn signals.

4. Redesigned buttons for all four doors that are marked clearer to display the fact that function as a "door handle"

My question to everyone is, does anyone have any experience with requesting Tesla Service makes some or all of these changes to our MY's that came out before they made all these tweaks? Or do we have no recourse for getting double pane windows, new door release buttons/labeling (I know you can buy this from a third party but still)

It would be really great (perhaps very wishful thinking) if some or all of these upgrades could be taken care of via Tesla Support. Thoughts? Experiences?

My VIN is 64737 - is there no shot I will get the better insulation and tail light assembly? The SA told me the build date was this past friday.

I'll just add that my VIN# 63XXX is actually pretty quiet on the road. I actually don't hear too much noise from the roof either, winds have been hellacious around me today. I wish i had a reference point of a VIN# lower than mine I could test. My test MY was a Stealth MYP, and it was noisier, that's the best I can do.

So maybe it does have insulation in the doors, along with the dual pane windows in the front. (I posted those pics elsewhere)

My new vin after adjustment is 66,7xx, I still don't have delivery date. I'm hoping all the modifications are in it. Except for tail light which I really don't care about it. I assume new glass is but heat pump modification who knows. But hey one the bright side of being in jersey is the west coast ppl here see all the newer stuff here first and I can see if any big difference comes up around vin 70k before I actually get mine and if worth while I'll go back in the pool. Still not that urgent I get the car even tho it would be nice.

My takeaway from the video was that everything but the double paned windows happened prior to the 63xxx VIN. I know I've seen earlier posts re the tail light changes and the buttons on the doors. I also think there were threads on added noise insulation and the heat pump modification. So, my sense is that the only really new item here is the double paned glass (of course there is a ton of speculation about the other changes coming over from the 3 and more stuff beyond that - this was just posted in another thread:
).

• Informative
Reactions: MYoohMY
When you click on your "manage order" page, do you see a timeframe listed anywhere on the page? I ordered exactly the same car as you with the exception of Gemini wheels, I'm taking delivery in Atlanta (so presumably no real difference to Nashville in delivery time), and I've been waiting over six weeks with absolutely no updates. And I don't see a timeframe listed on my page.

My advisor has basically said that she won't have any ideas about timeframes until I'm assigned a VIN. I hope I don't have to wait until mid December to get my damn car. Three months is ridiculous.

I’m in NY and ordered the same car with upgraded wheels and a tow hitch but only two weeks in with no updates or Vin. I found the order spreadsheet that someone created at the top of the feed very helpful. Seems like color and location are key factors.

Reactions: Traffic_Cone