Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Possible Model Y Update Info?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is very educational - thanks for posting. It is indeed laminated rather than double pane. In fact its super easy to see the "sandwich". The rear is indeed just tempered glass - would have been great to have them all around from what you describe as the benefits.

Totally with you on laminating all the windows! And I’m really curious if someone had a micrometer (or even a ruler) and measured the difference is thickness between the original tempered glass front windows and the new laminated front windows. The micrometer would give someone a TRUE and accurate measurement versus a ruler, but either way, haha.

Totally with you on laminating all the windows! And I’m really curious if someone had a micrometer (or even a ruler) and measured the difference is thickness between the original tempered glass front windows and the new laminated front windows. The micrometer would give someone a TRUE and accurate measurement versus a ruler, but either way, haha.
A caliper would work well for that.

Reactions: NASASpaceXlove
Picked up our VIN# 66xxx. Asked the SA at the shop whether it had the upgrades and he was not sure. I did find double paned glass upfront and the updated door release buttons. Given that the SA did not know about the upgrades, I doubt there will be retroactive updates?

Vehicle noise : I do hear some wind noise, but the tire noise was not too much compared to my test vehicle. The tire noise is definitely less than my volt, where I was running Bridgestone Potenzas 980AS which were excellent with initial torque and in wet, but not when it came to noise.

Heatpump : The heatpump still seems to be more noisy than other vehicles. FWIW, my Volt and Leaf both seemed to be quieter when it came to the climate control. Anyone knows how to check if the heatpump is upgraded ?

Tires : The drive feel seems diminished compared to my Volt. It might be more of getting used to the new vehicle than the tires. But I would love advice on tires. I usually run Blizzaks in winter and loved them, having used my volt as a snow plow and on sheer ice - but I am not getting a good read on winters for the Y. Any thoughts on winters or alternately thoughts on the best all year tires for PNW?

I live in the PNW, and we have had an S and an X since 2016.
As far as snow tires, I would only get them if you ski, or drive to Eastern Washington. Teslas are so great in the snow, and there is so little snow in the PNW, that all seasons would be fine for most days.

I used to have blizzaks on dedicated wheels for my P85D, and it was frankly a waste of money.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Tires : The drive feel seems diminished compared to my Volt. It might be more of getting used to the new vehicle than the tires. But I would love advice on tires. I usually run Blizzaks in winter and loved them, having used my volt as a snow plow and on sheer ice - but I am not getting a good read on winters for the Y. Any thoughts on winters or alternately thoughts on the best all year tires for PNW?

I live in Camas, WA and I'm a big believer in two sets of wheel/tires for summer/winter. Do you really need them? It depends. Do you ski? Are you able to stay home on those few wintry days we have west of the Cascades? Do you want to stay home on those days? If you decide to go with winter tires, I think you want to get a set that tests well on wet roads too since you live in Seattle. Many great winter tires can take 20 -30 feet longer to stop in the wet than other winter tires. The Vredestein Wintrac Pros and the Michelin Alpin 5s both have great test results in the snow, ice AND wet. I picked up a set of the Wintrac Pros, but have not mounted them yet.

Reactions: Frank N. Stein
We should also keep an eye out for the new center console, likely coming within a few months.

Exactly this. I have placed an order for a M3P and I still tend to gravitate more towards the MYP - especially after driving the Y (not P model) at the Tesla Tulsa Service Center.

I feel that the Y looks a lot better to me in terms of proportions, but what is holding me back right now is the lack of info on the new center console. I really really love the new one shown for the M3, but if I knew that this new console would come to the Y very shortly - and this would be confirmed - I would switch my order to the Y....

Oh well.

Exactly this. I have placed an order for a M3P and I still tend to gravitate more towards the MYP - especially after driving the Y (not P model) at the Tesla Tulsa Service Center.

I feel that the Y looks a lot better to me in terms of proportions, but what is holding me back right now is the lack of info on the new center console. I really really love the new one shown for the M3, but if I knew that this new console would come to the Y very shortly - and this would be confirmed - I would switch my order to the Y....

Oh well.

Im with you on the center console. I have a 2020 3 SR+ and test drove a Y last month. I instantly ordered. Old console or not, Im sold on the Y.

I live in Camas, WA and I'm a big believer in two sets of wheel/tires for summer/winter. Do you really need them? It depends. Do you ski? Are you able to stay home on those few wintry days we have west of the Cascades? Do you want to stay home on those days? If you decide to go with winter tires, I think you want to get a set that tests well on wet roads too since you live in Seattle. Many great winter tires can take 20 -30 feet longer to stop in the wet than other winter tires. The Vredestein Wintrac Pros and the Michelin Alpin 5s both have great test results in the snow, ice AND wet. I picked up a set of the Wintrac Pros, but have not mounted them yet.

I am glad that you mentioned the Wintrac's as I had never heard about them before getting the Y. Please give us an update after you put them on and try them out. I used to run the Blizzak WS80/90s before for the exact reasons you mention, but cannot find them in the Y size. The few reviews I read veered me towards the Vredestein. I also looked at their Quatrac Pro as an all weather tire. Now I will wait for authentic reviews from MY owners like you before switching to this brand.

Oh well.

I'm in this exact situation or holding pattern. I've previously owned a M3 but feel the MY is more proportionate and looks more aggressive. I have been thinking about pulling the trigger on the M3 for the reasons you stated above but I think I will just continue to hold out a month or two longer.

Vredestein Quatrac Pro tires. 255/45-19 104Y

I took my Y up to Mt Hood today after a snowstorm yesterday. Mostly plowed roads, but you can see from the tracks I had to push through a bit of snow to park. The Quatracs handled great! Not quite as good as a dedicated studless snow tire for sure, but more than adequate for the conditions. I had the opportunity to get into a drift, and she handled fine with no surprises. Braking and acceleration were both much better than I would have expected for all season tires. If you need a tire for year round service I can whole heartedly recommend the Vredestein Quatrac Pro. Quiet and good rolling resistance. Comfortable ride. Excellent handling on both wet and dry roads, and very good in the snow. I will still run winter tires because I have plenty of room to store an extra set of wheels & tires. However, I will run the Quatracs in the summer, and I would also run them year round in the wet Pacific Northwest if I needed a single all season set of tires.
20201111_113815.jpg
20201111_113215.jpg
20201111_113827.jpg