Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any possible out on FSD within first year of ownership?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I expected more from FSD, and for how I use the car, I don't expect it'll be anything more than a parlor trick to show people. Certainly not worth the $10K I spent on it. All my "valid" uses for auto-driving are adequately met with EAP. I typically only use EAP on trips and on the Interstate. I see no benefit to auto-driving in town. Even as such, EAP seems to do that just fine as well. I blame myself for not thinking more about it when I ordered the car.

I have about 2 days left before my first anniversary with the car. Is there any way I can request a refund for FSD? Maybe transfer it to another owner for close to the $10K? I think it's up to $12K now, so it seems someone who wants FSD would be glad to pay me $9K for the service.

Thanks.

• Funny
Reactions: doc5339 and krsgio
I expected more from FSD, and for how I use the car, I don't expect it'll be anything more than a parlor trick to show people. Certainly not worth the $10K I spent on it. All my "valid" uses for auto-driving are adequately met with EAP. I typically only use EAP on trips and on the Interstate. I see no benefit to auto-driving in town. Even as such, EAP seems to do that just fine as well. I blame myself for not thinking more about it when I ordered the car.

I have about 2 days left before my first anniversary with the car. Is there any way I can request a refund for FSD? Maybe transfer it to another owner for close to the $10K? I think it's up to $12K now, so it seems someone who wants FSD would be glad to pay me $9K for the service.

Thanks.
No

Once Tesla has your money, highly unlikely they are going to let go of it. Not when they got 10k for basically nothing. Ok, maybe not nothing, but not a lot of value in its current state as you've seen.

Just for the heck of it, I subscribed to FSD recently and if I'd paid 10k for that up front, I'd have been highly ticked off. I am not renewing the subscription next month, that is for sure.

Good luck getting them to do anything!

Once Tesla has your money, highly unlikely they are going to let go of it. Not when they got 10k for basically nothing. Ok, maybe not nothing, but not a lot of value in its current state as you've seen.

Just for the heck of it, I subscribed to FSD recently and if I'd paid 10k for that up front, I'd have been highly ticked off. I am not renewing the subscription next month, that is for sure.

Good luck getting them to do anything!
Did you apply for FSD beta?

Thanks.
Please people… save your money FSD is The Big Fraud.

Reactions: Dameon and VikH

Thanks.

Class action lawsuit?

Seriously. The time line to implement this feature in a useable fashion is longer than the service life of most Tesla vehicles so far. It's highly likely that you'll never receive this software for which you paid quite a bit of money.

Say I bought a house. Then I ordered a whizz bang home security system for that house that's so bleeding edge that they haven't finished designing it yet.

Then maybe 5 years down the road I've moved to a different house that can't use that security system and the company is still designing it. I'd demand my money back since they've charged me for something that doesn't actually exist, may never exist and most importantly I still haven't received.

Class action lawsuit?

Seriously. The time line to implement this feature in a useable fashion is longer than the service life of most Tesla vehicles so far. It's highly likely that you'll never receive this software for which you paid quite a bit of money.

Say I bought a house. Then I ordered a whizz bang home security system for that house that's so bleeding edge that they haven't finished designing it yet.

Then maybe 5 years down the road I've moved to a different house that can't use that security system and the company is still designing it. I'd demand my money back since they've charged me for something that doesn't actually exist, may never exist and most importantly I still haven't received.

I do think Tesla should have offered a refund to all those who leased a vehicle for 3 years and never got what they paid for before the lease was up. Especially those with the Model 3 & Y that had no option to purchase at the end of the lease.

On the flip side, while yes, most of the features are simply party tricks to show off, your use of those party trick features are contributing to Tesla collecting data to EVENTUALLY be able to improve the system. I am happier to have had the ability to test it out and use it some than having to wait for a company like GM or Ford that will give you nothing in advance before its ready for prime time. Regardless of the fact that I hardly ever used it unless I was the only car on the road, as I didn't want to be rude to other drivers behind me, was still fun to experience something that no other car offers yet. I will say however, I am surprised that with the Beta program now being close to one year old, that the data hasn't led to far greater improvements. Minimally, from the time I first got the Beta download to the time I sold the car, there really wasn't that much improvement. Still scared the crap out of me trying to let it turn on city streets on its own or make left turns in front of oncoming traffic. But, "someday", it will improve and some day, well into the future, you'll be able to be a passenger in your own car!

But yes, if you don't care about all that stuff, EAP at half the price, is a good option. I owned the Tesla because I wanted all the cool stuff they offered and was annoyed if I didn't have something that was available, regardless if it was something I used very often. Never played video games in the car, but knowing I could was cool. Never watched movies either, but knowing I could was pretty cool. Never felt the need to have my car fart. OK, that one I could have done without!! Tesla as a car, still looks basically the same as it did 10 years ago. Was never among my most favorites in terms of looks/styling. But, that tech kept me in one for 8+ years. Always one that was ready for something new and exciting in about 3 years. 8 years (across multiple Tesla's) was a big statement for me, being that even my most favorite cars in the past, I never kept that long. Was cool as heck to be a part of it. Unfortunately, I also need a "user friendly" car as I work out of my car, rather than just use it to go to and from work. The changes and direction they went on the Model S, no longer were worth the sacrifice, for my personal needs out of a car. But, will never regret the 8 years I had the pleasure of being part of the new way cars are built and perceived.

Need an update…
Got a response yesterday... as expected, it ain't happening.

They said MAYBE if I could find someone with the same car in a new purchase, they could facilitate a transfer, but the exchange of funds would be outside of Tesla. I'm not going to bother with all that. Likely the FSD code would get "lost in transit" and then I'd have nothing.

Yeah, this is a waste of money. I'd join a Class Action if someone started one. I am a big fan of the cars, but not of the business.

I applied to FSD Beta when it was first offered. Still haven't been accepted.

Reactions: TessP100D
Tesla as a car, still looks basically the same as it did 10 years ago. Was never among my most favorites in terms of looks/styling. But, that tech kept me in one for 8+ years.
Yep, same here. I'd like something a little more unique than the "run of the mill" styling it has had since 2012. The 2021 redesign is a welcome change, but still not enough.

Once my Plaid runs its course, Lucid may be pretty high on my list. They will need to make it quicker than the Plaid for me to really being interested. They also need a better charging infrastructure (they all do).