Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any possible out on FSD within first year of ownership?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, I sympathize. I ordered FSD when I was leasing my S refresh - i figured it would be roughly 60% of the then $10k price (based on lease residual).
Then the car was delayed, and my lease offer ran out, and when the price increases hit, I decided to buy for instant equity.
I still had the FSD on order.
My buddy talked me out of it - he had experience - I had huge FOMO, but what the heck, i trust him, even though it went up to $12k.
This month I broke open the piggy bank to try the subscription - and the $199 was a fun try, but holy cow, if I paid $12k for this garbage I'd be furious.
I will say, the lane change is superb.
The rest? GARBAGE. On a 150 or so mile drive from Delaware, it was fine on the highway - other than being autopilot with smart lane changing (which requires me to agree) I saw no other benefit.
City streets? Nyet.
Beta? I have a 95 because I'm driving like grandma, or using AP in the streets so I don't get dinged. And the AP in the streets is at times terrifying - requiring me to break, and risk bad scores. Or yank the steering, and risk bad scores.
I think even at my "wildest" (close following? sharp turns?) i was safer and smoother than AP.
In theory if my driving scores were low, shouldn't I "need" FSD beta even more?
Regardless, I have 2 sizable trips coming up at the end of the month which prompted me to try it out "now" - i figured one or two weeks to get the download.
If I don't get the beta I'll probably drop the subscription. It was really disappointing, and I don't like granny mode - I went from my usual insane mode to sport and I'm driving like this thing has 5% battery, I have 200 miles to go, and there's glass everywhere.

I loved my spirited driving - I don't drive like a teen, but yeah, I love to stomp and corner (unless my wife and kids are in the car, then I get an earful) - but grandma mode, and no beta?
Yuck.
This thing is NOT full self driving. It's not even "a lot of self driving." It is "superb lane keep and active cruise control" - and that's about it.
Just my .02. and $199.

Reactions: TessP100D
FWIW, I sympathize. I ordered FSD when I was leasing my S refresh - i figured it would be roughly 60% of the then $10k price (based on lease residual).
Then the car was delayed, and my lease offer ran out, and when the price increases hit, I decided to buy for instant equity.
I still had the FSD on order.
My buddy talked me out of it - he had experience - I had huge FOMO, but what the heck, i trust him, even though it went up to $12k.
This month I broke open the piggy bank to try the subscription - and the $199 was a fun try, but holy cow, if I paid $12k for this garbage I'd be furious.
I will say, the lane change is superb.
The rest? GARBAGE. On a 150 or so mile drive from Delaware, it was fine on the highway - other than being autopilot with smart lane changing (which requires me to agree) I saw no other benefit.
City streets? Nyet.
Beta? I have a 95 because I'm driving like grandma, or using AP in the streets so I don't get dinged. And the AP in the streets is at times terrifying - requiring me to break, and risk bad scores. Or yank the steering, and risk bad scores.
I think even at my "wildest" (close following? sharp turns?) i was safer and smoother than AP.
In theory if my driving scores were low, shouldn't I "need" FSD beta even more?
Regardless, I have 2 sizable trips coming up at the end of the month which prompted me to try it out "now" - i figured one or two weeks to get the download.
If I don't get the beta I'll probably drop the subscription. It was really disappointing, and I don't like granny mode - I went from my usual insane mode to sport and I'm driving like this thing has 5% battery, I have 200 miles to go, and there's glass everywhere.

I loved my spirited driving - I don't drive like a teen, but yeah, I love to stomp and corner (unless my wife and kids are in the car, then I get an earful) - but grandma mode, and no beta?
Yuck.
This thing is NOT full self driving. It's not even "a lot of self driving." It is "superb lane keep and active cruise control" - and that's about it.
Just my .02. and $199.
If you have a 95 score after a period of time, your best option is to un-enroll from the Beta program. Wait a week, then re-enroll just prior to your trip. Wipes out your old scores. I think they need 1 week and 100 or 150 miles. Just put it on auto pilot the entire trip and you should be able to score 100. Better than trying to bring an average of 95 all the way up. Depending on how many miles that is over, could take you 1,000 miles of driving at 100 to get the score up high enough. Resetting it lets you start from scratch and can have it within a couple of weeks.

If you have a 95 score after a period of time, your best option is to un-enroll from the Beta program. Wait a week, then re-enroll just prior to your trip. Wipes out your old scores. I think they need 1 week and 100 or 150 miles. Just put it on auto pilot the entire trip and you should be able to score 100. Better than trying to bring an average of 95 all the way up. Depending on how many miles that is over, could take you 1,000 miles of driving at 100 to get the score up high enough. Resetting it lets you start from scratch and can have it within a couple of weeks.
thanks. I thought they were talking about dropping the need for scores, or even opening to 91. At 95, i think i'm at the right number, just not enjoying driving. i imagine come august 8 (my renewal is due for the 9th) if i don't have it, i'll cancel, and on august 9 i'll drive like a teen with a new license!

Once Tesla opens up their chargers later this year (to get some of that govment $$$) they're going to lose their biggest advantage. After that, almost any CCS capable car should be able to charge at superchargers. Probably be a year or two before they work out the bugs though.
On the one hand Tesla getting that government money is nice, but on the flip side Tesla loses its major competitive edge by opening up the supercharger network to other automakers.
Maybe that’s the kick in the pants they need to finally look into improving and expanding service.

Perhaps Tesla will simulated the traditional EA experience for these non Tesla vehicles at the Superchargers.

I'm just concerned that Chevy Bolt owners would reject the idea of a fast charging networking that works as reliably as your average gas station. I think a transition period where the Supercharger network randomly fails 80% of the time to charge non Tesla vehicles would be necessary to ease them into it.