Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any private hire / taxi drivers out there? Model S or 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked briefly at Uber driving, just for the odd hour or so if I'm bored of an evening/weekend, but it seems much more onerous compared to the US.

Much less likely to get people just doing it for a couple of hours a week over here compared to there.

You have to go through Taxi/private hire regulations/licensing by local council (in each council you want to pick-up in I think?) and extra insurance.

yeah, for a couple of hrs a week I'm not to sure if it worth the hassle of getting the license.

No not by local council, haven't heard of that

I've done a lot of maths on the milage and earnings side.. i guess I've neglected the battery. I'm looking to do around 150 miles a day so hopefully, charge one every two days.

You need to do more research into EV's and expected range in various driving conditions and various times of year. I would imaging that ad hoc short pickups will be worse for battery use and it wouldn't surprise me if you occasionally had to recharge at least once a day, even doing 150 miles.

Reasons -
  • You are not going to run a battery 100%-0%. Assume maybe 80% or less usable to avoid car sitting at low or high state of charge
  • Range in winter can easily be 20-30% down for numerous reasons. In addition, heater warmth, normally from waste energy in a petrol/diesel, comes from battery so can have a significant impact on range.
  • Every time you start a drive and the car needs to get itself into its operating condition, that has an impact on efficiency on early stages of a drive, loss of regen, warming battery etc. So lots of shorter drives will likely be lower efficiency
  • You may have to drive some excess miles to charge which eat into usable range

Have a neighbor that uses his Model S for livery service. Specializes in service to local Southern California airports. Charges the same or slightly less than competitors. Drives the car mostly himself. Makes good money and loves driving his Tesla and says using Autopilot makes for much easier days on the road.

He just recently upgraded to a Model X. Gets premium rates for the larger car and customers seem to enjoy the ride. Lots of luggage space and comfy ride.

Taxis here mostly use Prius because of problems with ICE vehicles ideling for long periods in line waiting for airport fares. To much pollution and smell from long lines of gassers.

He works from home via cell phone. Gets to pick and choose those fares he wishes to take. Does really well when can both drop off and pick up fares from the same airport.

AC charging doesn't increment the counter, only DC.

Guestimate below is 10,000 kWh but not confirmed.

Reasons -
  • You are not going to run a battery 100%-0%. Assume maybe 80% or less usable to avoid car sitting at low or high state of charge
  • Range in winter can easily be 20-30% down for numerous reasons. In addition, heater warmth, normally from waste energy in a petrol/diesel, comes from battery so can have a significant impact on range.
  • Every time you start a drive and the car needs to get itself into its operating condition, that has an impact on efficiency on early stages of a drive, loss of regen, warming battery etc. So lots of shorter drives will likely be lower efficiency
  • You may have to drive some excess miles to charge which eat into usable range
[/QUOTE]

Damn.. didn't think of a single one of these. It's that bad in winter? Agh. Thanks for the insight. There seems to be far too many obstacles with it. I guess that's why it isn't common

Hi r3flex,

I have been a Private Hire driver for around 12 years, really quite anti-social, and I also trade financial markets with my own fund.

I have been driving a Mondeo's (diesel) for around 10 years and I have recently been looking at a Tesla Model 3 and the Kia e-Niro as a replacement to my ICE Car.

The Tesla is the better option all round although I think the long range is the only car you should consider given the real world range of the Standard is 180 miles. Monday - Thursday I will drive 80-100 miles and Friday and Saturday 200 miles per day when working as a full time taxi driver. Mostly nowadays I will drive less than this as I make more money on the markets but for the purpose of this conversation I will assume I am a full time driver.

Anybody who says buy a £1k Prius obviously doesn't know what they are talking about so ignore them. I dont even know where to start with that one. Look at the cost below. I should also point out that you will be self employed, if you buy an electric vehicle it will be 100% tax deductible in the fist year of ownership after that only 18% of the remaining balance is deductible so you will have to sell it and buy another one.

Mondeo Finance per month over 5 years £305 Tesla Finance (£45k) over 5 years. £830 ish.
Diesel per month £600 Electricity at 20% of Diesel. £150
Insurance £30/month Insurance £30/month
Maintenance / month £150/month Maintenance Virtually nothing.

Total £1085 Total £1010

The Tesla is under warranty for 60k miles but the drive train is 160k but you are selling it after one year so its not an issue. Mondeo expenses are... Service/oil change 3 times per year, Turbo issues, DFP issues, Clutch faults, Gearbox problems, Automatic transmission faults. Injector faults blah blah blah.....could be here for ever. My Mondeo has had 5 Fuel Vaporisers because it blocks up every 20k mils £450 a pop. No DPF on an EV.

So, instead of spending all your money on Diesel you are paying the finance off the Tesla. Therefore making it cheaper to buy and run a Tesla Model 3 than it is a Ford Mondeo....fact. I am fortunate enough to be able to buy me Model 3 cash so my repayments over 12 months are £750 x 12 = £8400. The car was £47,000 - £8400 so I have to sell my M-3 for £38,600 to pay it off. I expect it will have 20k miles after 12 months and I will sell it for around £41-42k. If you have finance it will be harder to sell after 12 moths as you are only paying off the interest.

Short answer: It is cheaper to run a £47,000 Tesla Model 3 than it is a £17,000 Mondeo as a private hire vehicle over any month you wish to choose. The Kia e-Niro is a lot cheaper still.

Well I don’t see you increasing your earning by 20k based on an EV alone, yes you’ll have fuel savings but if buying a used S then there is also out of warranty costs to consider.
You won't increase your earnings with an EV unless you work more hours as you might enjoy being in the car more. It also wont work with a used Model S as the tax man will hammer you on the cost of the car. It will only work with a brand new car claiming FYA of 100%. Model 3 or e-Niro.

Overall income, you will be around £250 per month better of in a new Tesla than you would be in a Mondeo.

F4FFA24E-EB14-4AB4-9875-C0D52C3E9AB1.jpeg
One in Edinburgh. Nice plate too.

Hi all,

Reflex - look up Tesloop. USA Tesla based taxi service.

see this blog Tesloop's High Mileage Teslas — Tesloop

Anecdotal from me - the rated range of the car is only a calculation, I have a 2016 MS (includes lifetime supercharging) and the rated has gone down from 340 miles at 100% to around 330. But nobody drives 330 miles straight out, you need a biological break, even with passengers !

Also, look up taxis in Amsterdam - very many are Teslas.

Tony
Yes, the first Tesla I ever went in was one of the Amsterdam Airport Taxis.