Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any problem replacing a noisy drive unit under warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sold my 2013 60 this week and am looking at a 2014 P85. Drove it last night and the drive unit is extremely loud under even the slightest load. Has Tesla been giving people any problems replacing these under the drive unit warranty? I'm pretty sure this will be covered, but just wanted to check other people's experiences.

I sold my 2013 60 this week and am looking at a 2014 P85. Drove it last night and the drive unit is extremely loud under even the slightest load. Has Tesla been giving people any problems replacing these under the drive unit warranty? I'm pretty sure this will be covered, but just wanted to check other people's experiences.
Coming from a non p car to a p car the drive unit is going to be louder. I've driven 4 different p variants and they were all louder than the non p cars. Not saying there isnt anything wrong with it just wouldnt want you to waste your time with tesla service if you can avoid it.

Have you driven other p cars to make sure it is in fact louder than it should be?

Coming from a non p car to a p car the drive unit is going to be louder. I've driven 4 different p variants and they were all louder than the non p cars. Not saying there isnt anything wrong with it just wouldnt want you to waste your time with tesla service if you can avoid it.

Have you driven other p cars to make sure it is in fact louder than it should be?

I've driven a P85D and it was nowhere close this level of noise. It was just a quick test drive on this P85 I'm looking at, but it was extremely noticeable, especially at low speed.

My 2013 D/U was replaced twice. The first time only took a couple weeks to get it replaced, but the second time took several months and some nagging. I sold the car in 2016. I think it depends a lot on your service center and how much you complain.

My 2016 is starting to hum noticeably but doubt I'll replace it unless it gets much worse.