Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any problems experienced with p285x30x21 tires on rear of p85D with staggered wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a P85D and like all hate the tread life and cost of the Michelins. Many of you have talked about using the standard 245x35x21 on the front but going to a 285x30x21 on the rear. Tesla tech says that may cause all kinds of issues with all things that get sensed by the rear wheels but doesn't really seem to have any experience to speak from. I need new tires now, esp on the rear. The rpm on the stock 265x35x21 is 735 while the rpm on the 285x30x21 is 749, a 1.9% difference. I can totally live with that as far as odometer, mileage forecast, etc but wonder if anyone has done this and had any other issues like abs or traction control on curves or tire pressure misreading or anything else.

None so far, I am running 285/30R21 ContiSilent's, would have went with Michelin PSS's but they were not available at the time. I initially thought they would rub, but they do not. The car definitely has a better feel when cornering. Plus I like the look of the larger tire back there.

IMG_9422s.jpg

• Love
Reactions: UkrHog
kmontoya, do you get any excess chips or anything from the wider tire throwing debris onto the paint of the bumper? I run 275s in back with no problem. But your look just wide enough to do that. Also, how do you like the Silents? I am considering them for my next set.

Thanks.

No chips in close to 4000 miles so far, I am considering XPEL to cover the bumper areas.

As far as the Silents, they still quite well, although I am only comparing to the stock size with both Silents and Michelin PS2's, I have not been able to try the PSS's as they are harder to get. It may be my personal feeling but I believe it hooks up better for "launches" but I do not have any equipment (yet...) to test it.

K

No chips in close to 4000 miles so far, I am considering XPEL to cover the bumper areas.

As far as the Silents, they still quite well, although I am only comparing to the stock size with both Silents and Michelin PS2's, I have not been able to try the PSS's as they are harder to get. It may be my personal feeling but I believe it hooks up better for "launches" but I do not have any equipment (yet...) to test it.

K

How do you feel the ContiSilents compare to the stock PS2's for cornering?

How do you feel the ContiSilents compare to the stock PS2's for cornering?

While they both had similar grip, the PS2's had quite a few more miles on them so I'm not sure it's entirely fair to compare them. The noise was substantially higher on the PS2's. Ultimately I think the PS2's had a little more grip at the end of traction, but that could also be the lack of tread deflection due to the PS2's being more worn and my ContiSilent's being fairly new at the time.

Also, all the my driving has been in hot Southern California weather, with no rain to speak of, today was the first serious rain we had in quite some time, and I drove my ICE since the first rain usually causes quite a few accidents (I passed six on my way to work today :frown:). I've actually been itching to try my S in the rain but we are deprived of it down here.

From what I have heard from others is the the PSS's are the ones to have, I already have an order in with Tire rack for when they are available.

Did you get 285's on the stock 9inch wheels? Just curious because the tire sites I looked at said the 8.5 inch rims could go up to 245 (which is what is on my non staggered setup) and the 9 inch wheel could do 265. It looked like Tesla was maxing out the width for the rim. Optically it doesn't look to be the case so wondering why I couldn't put 265 on a 8.5 inch rim...

I'll have the same set up F 245x35x21 R 285x30x21 next month, just waiting for the rims to be delivered.

In fact if you look up the tire size chart, 285x30x21 is 100% match with the standard 19" (265x35x21 is actually 2% smaller)

@kmontoya Do you mind to share the rim size and offset for my reference? My local shop suggested F 21x9 ET30 and R 21x10.5 ET35 (Compare to stock 21 staggered both are 21x9 ET40)

35,000 miles on P85 with staggered 285-30-21 on rears. Prefer the Hankooks over Conti & Toyo. No issues to speaks off here. Just keep in eye on rear inside tire wear and chose tires that you can dismount-remount so you can relocate what was the inside of the tires to the outside position and you'll get 15k+ on a set of tires.