Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any problems or challenges in having two Model 3's in the same household?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joebruin77

Dec 23, 2018
Encino, CA
I have enjoyed my 2018 P3D for the past 2 1/2 years. It is getting close to the time to replace my wife's older Honda Accord and we are seriously considering getting her a new Model 3.

Given my great overall experience in owning my P3D, I am not concerned about any aspect of owning two Model 3's in the same home, except for this one:

How well does the Tesla app handle two different Model 3's? Can you have two or more Teslas registered to the same email address or do we have to have two different Tesla accounts? To control each car through the app, would I have to sign out of one account and sign into the other? That might get old after a while.

For example, I am thinking of what it would be like to share our Tesla Wall Connector at night. Would each Tesla be able to detect my iPhone automatically so that I could unplug one car and plug it into the other quickly and with ease? Or would I have to use a manual key card for one of the cars?

Any thoughts or comments on having two Model 3's in the same household would be appreciated.

Thank you,
joebruin77

Reactions: Togg
We have had 2 Teslas since 2012 and love it, although the app might not have handled it well until somewhere around 2016. Maybe, I can't remember.

As long as the two cars are registered under the same email address, it's really easy - just swipe between the cars. (If not under the same email account, I think there is still a way to give permission and operate similarly).

I like that we can see where the other person is, and operate their car without a key.

The only issue is that your car will only unlock/start if your car is the one selected in the app, so if you switch to look at your spouse's car, remember to switch back or else you will have to put down whatever you are carrying next to the car so you can pull out your phone and switch cars.

We have two chargers, but if you have a garage you can leave the cars unlocked (only in your garage is an unlock setting) there so it is easy to move the charging cable. Also, some Teslas will unlock the charge port when you press the button on the charge cable...I can't remember if the 3 is one that does that or not. Is there a place to plug in a mobile connector and use that for one of the cars?

Last edited:
We have a 3 and Y which is similar enough.

They're both in my account and my wife has own account and she has access we have access to both.

They can share key cards so I only carry one card that operates either car.

They will both show up in the app. Normally only one is active at once. You can swipe back and forth between the cars. If your phone supports NFC it is possible to have the phone act as a NFC keycard so you can use that as a way to switch which car is active.

It *IS* possible to have a phone have two cars active at the same time so you can use either car without having to go into the app to switch. I've been able to do it and someone else was able to do the same. We are trying to figure definitive instructions on how to do it. We both have solar as well and that is apparently necessary I suspect key is to induce the app to keep the background task running for each car running. I know what I can access a car even if the app is has a solar/powerwall product selected. It seems that instead of swiping to the other car but instead doing a "switch product" to the solar is essential step in triggering this "bug" which of course turns out to be a feature.

Last edited:
I’ve had 2 M3s for a bit over a year. My M3s are registered under separate emails - one under mine and one under my wife’s. Despite that, we were able to grant each other access on the two accounts. In fact, our daughter has a MX under her own account and she and my wife have all 3 vehicles in their apps in this way. It works pretty seamlessly. I just scroll left or right to get to the car I want to drive. There is no signing in and out - the app keeps a gallery of cars that you swipe back and forth between.

As for charging - yes, you might find it inconvenient to share a wall connector. In our case, we had 2 200-amp panels, so we had an electrician pull two cables - one for each side of the garage, out of separate panels. On my wife’s side is a Tesla Gen3 HPWC. On my side is a 14-50 outlet into which I plug my mobile connector. If you have only 1 wall charger you might have to manage swapping it between cars. If your commutes are short, perhaps you can alternate days.

Other than the occasional oops when I try to open a car with the wrong car selected in the app, we have no troubles owning two Teslas.

• Informative
Reactions: joebruin77
Is there a place to plug in a mobile connector and use that for one of the cars?

Thanks for the helpful post.

To answer your question, I have a Gen 2 Wall Connector as well as a 14-50 outlet. I could use both at the same time, but I got the 14-50 installed more as a backup in case the WC stopped working. I could be wrong, but given the relatively lower number of miles we drive for our commutes, I think sharing the WC would work just fine.

It sounds like you are set, then.

If you average less than, say, 40 miles a day, then plugging a mobile connector in to a 120V outlet will work great too - I did that for about 1.5 years despite having a 14-50 available just because the 120V outlet was in a more convenient spot. 120V charging is a little less efficient, though.

It *IS* possible to have a phone have two cars active at the same time so you can use either car without having to go into the app to switch. I've been able to do it and someone else was able to do the same. We are trying to figure definitive instructions on how to do it.
That would be great...I'll try switching the way you suggested and see if I can make it work. (I don't have solar though. Maybe I just need a third Tesla? :) )

We have a 3 and X, and it’s no problem at all. For now, in the Tesla app, whichever car you’re “swiped into” is the one you can control with phone-as-key. Rumor has it this is changing soon - you’ll be able to operate any vehicle in your account without having to open the app and “swipe into” the correct one.
But it’s been great. Both my wife and I switch up routinely and it’s no problem at all.

• Informative
Two M3 LRAWD's here...no issues, cars are under one email address.... we both on occasion forget we have the other car chosen in the app... takes a second to realize why the car won't unlock. :)
Keycards can be registered to multiple cars, so we were able to both have one, one for our son, and one for emergencies stored in a safe spot at home.
We find ourselves just using one charger, one car drives 29 miles round trip daily, the other is a 9 mile round trip, no need for a daily charge, but we do have 2 outlets so we can charge both if needed.

• Informative
I forgot to add that I have we could charge both cars at the same time (have two EVSEs) but currently use only one. The reasons for that are:

We have one extra J1772 adapter that stays home so to charge two would require pulling an adapter out from a car.

I'm trying to charge self consume our solar production and one car does that pretty well

Given the amount we are driving these days we don't even need a car every day.

The EVSE is located so it easily reaches both cars.

Like everyone above, I have a M3 & MY, the model Y is LR so it takes the spot in the garage with the Tesla wall charger. The model 3 sits outside connected to a level 2 Bosch charger, this EVSE is the one I used for my Leaf & Volt. Works well and no issues. So if you want to save and get yourself a EVSE for about $100 at 40amps that’s all that’s needed. You just use your J1772 adapter.

Or you can use your portable Charger that came with the car, you will need to get the pigtail adapter for the 240volt source you will be connected too.

No issues connecting 2 Tesla’s on your App, just swipe to the left or right just like you see the Power Wall battery box.

Fred

• Informative
Like everyone above, I have a M3 & MY, the model Y is LR so it takes the spot in the garage with the Tesla wall charger. The model 3 sits outside connected to a level 2 Bosch charger, this EVSE is the one I used for my Leaf & Volt. Works well and no issues. So if you want to save and get yourself a EVSE for about $100 at 40amps that’s all that’s needed. You just use your J1772 adapter.

Or you can use your portable Charger that came with the car, you will need to get the pigtail adapter for the 240volt source you will be connected too.

No issues connecting 2 Tesla’s on your App, just swipe to the left or right just like you see the Power Wall battery box.

Fred
Curious, Wennfred: where is that charger for sale for $100?

We just took delivery of a model 3 and ordered a model y under a different email address to get the 1k supercharger miles referral. How do we merge the two accounts or equally share access to either vehicle once they’re both here? And may that cancel out the 1k miles referral?

Reactions: Togg
I have enjoyed my 2018 P3D for the past 2 1/2 years. It is getting close to the time to replace my wife's older Honda Accord and we are seriously considering getting her a new Model 3.

Given my great overall experience in owning my P3D, I am not concerned about any aspect of owning two Model 3's in the same home, except for this one:

How well does the Tesla app handle two different Model 3's? Can you have two or more Teslas registered to the same email address or do we have to have two different Tesla accounts? To control each car through the app, would I have to sign out of one account and sign into the other? That might get old after a while.

For example, I am thinking of what it would be like to share our Tesla Wall Connector at night. Would each Tesla be able to detect my iPhone automatically so that I could unplug one car and plug it into the other quickly and with ease? Or would I have to use a manual key card for one of the cars?

Any thoughts or comments on having two Model 3's in the same household would be appreciated.

Thank you,
joebruin77

I went the other way. My wife got one of the first model 3's and I liked it so much I bought a model 3 performance back in 2018. We haven't had any issues with 2 in the same household.

We just took delivery of a model 3 and ordered a model y under a different email address to get the 1k supercharger miles referral. How do we merge the two accounts or equally share access to either vehicle once they’re both here?
Did you ever get an answer?
I share a M3 with my partner under her email address, but also have ordered a CT and an MY under my email address.

But when I login to www.Tesla.com and go to product-finalize, it says, (emphasis below is mine):

What do I need to bring with me to delivery?
  • Download and login to the Tesla App on your phone. You will use your phone to access your Tesla on delivery day.
How am I suppose to use the App on my phone that is currently showing our shared car on the other email address?
If I click the Person icon (looks roughly like this
iu
) the only thing I can see that might be useful is "Sign out", but then that says, "Are you sure? You will loose your settings and all stored data". That doesn't sound very helpful.

So I'm stumped. When ordering additional cars under a different email address how does one properly re "..login to the Tesla App on your phone.".. then " You will use your phone to access your Tesla on delivery day."?

Thanks.

Attachments

• external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg
    external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg
    3.3 KB · Views: 98
My house we have a model 3 and a model Y
Model 3 under my email with my wife as an authorized user
Model Y under my wife’s email with me as an authorized user
All our keys cards setup to use either car so we both each carry a key just in case something happens to our phones.
We have a Tesla charger at home and just charge one car each night to 80%. We are both working from home so we haven’t need a lot of charge yet.
Hope that helps

My house we have a model 3 and a model Y
Model 3 under my email with my wife as an authorized user
Model Y under my wife’s email with me as an authorized user
All our keys cards setup to use either car so we both each carry a key just in case something happens to our phones.
We have a Tesla charger at home and just charge one car each night to 80%. We are both working from home so we haven’t need a lot of charge yet.
Hope that helps
Thanks, but someone above already said as much, but the Q remains, how was this setup if you recall? Perhaps once delivery gets closer, this will just magically happen, or there is some other mechanism that I'm not seeing to get this done. I hear you that this works. My Q is how to set it up?

Thanks, but someone above already said as much, but the Q remains, how was this setup if you recall? Perhaps once delivery gets closer, this will just magically happen, or there is some other mechanism that I'm not seeing to get this done. I hear you that this works. My Q is how to set it up?
Log in to your account at Tesla.com. Click 'manage' on the vehicle in question. There's an option for 'car access' where you can add additional users.