Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any problems using HPWC Gen 2 with older Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kendallpb

Model S: P 8061
Oct 29, 2010
MD, USA
I have a 2013 Model S S85, pre-AP). Our Gen 1 HPWC bit the dust, but I'm concerned about buying a Gen 2 one. I tried two different ones at the Tysons Corner, VA mall (both Gen 2), but neither worked for me. The message on my dash said the charger wasn't inserted all the way; the ring on the car was orange. But I removed and reinserted it several times and trust me, it was in as far as it would go!

I've read about some people (but not others) having the opposite problem - newer car & Gen 1 HPWC. ;-) But is this (older car & newer Gen 2 HPWC) also a known issue? Or does it sound like just a problem with my car?

The technician who checked our HPWC and pronounced it not worth trying to repair and we should get a new one (which I expected; hoped maybe it was something simple, oh well) said he couldn't say without looking at the chargers, but it sounded like an issue with the two HPWCs I tried at Tysons. He said the connectors hadn't changed, so they should've worked. Now, first he was looking at our newer Model X when saying that (and even commented on the model year, which I believe he got wrong), and I pointed out my Model S was 2013, but he said still, it should work. If not, it should be covered under warranty; he was talking about the car warranty . . . though earlier, he'd said it sounded like a problem with the charger. Anyway, I have an extended warranty (boo, $200 deductible), but the way the conversation turned, I wonder if this is a known issue and if anyone here's run into it. Or maybe he was just hedging his bets, but I really did luck out with two bum chargers at Tysons. (Maybe that's why they were the only two free, LOL.)

So, anyone run into a problem with an older Tesla and a Gen 2 HPWC, and have to get something in the car updated/fixed to use a Gen 2 HPWC?

I mean we'll order the HPWC and arrange install anyway; if there's a problem, it should be covered either by the new HPWC warranty or the extended warranty on my car, it sounds like, but . . . well, does Tesla really warrant older cars with newer chargers, even though they claim the chargers and connectors are compatible? Hmm.

NOTE: I haven't had a chance to try the Model X at the Tysons HPWCs, but I don't know which ones I used anyway; only two were free at the time, but I didn't think to note which ones.

Many thanks!

That should work totally fine. There should be no issues with an older car on a newer wall connector.

I've read about some people (but not others) having the opposite problem - newer car & Gen 1 HPWC. ;-) But is this (older car & newer Gen 2 HPWC) also a known issue? Or does it sound like just a problem with my car?
Right, that is a known software incompatibility the other way of older wall connectors with newer vehicles.

The message on my dash said the charger wasn't inserted all the way; the ring on the car was orange. But I removed and reinserted it several times and trust me, it was in as far as it would go!
That sounds like some kind of physical problem with either the locking pin or the notch in the handle not quite lining up so it can't get latched fully. Other than that, I don't know exactly, but it would have to be investigated a bit or reduce variables by mixing and matching other cars/connectors to see what doesn't work.

Never heard that at all. Sounds like issues with HPWC, but maybe there is some quirk that someone else will chime in about.

That should work totally fine. There should be no issues with an older car on a newer wall connector.

Groovy, good to hear it's not some general thing I just couldn't find when searching, thanks! I haven't had any problems with our Gen 1, Superchargers, or my J1772 adapter, so this gives me very strong hope that it really is those two wall chargers at Tysons. :D

That said, I realized when re-making a service appointment for regular service + a couple of other issues, I could put in a note to ask them to make sure my car works fine with the Gen 2 HPWC just in case. So I did that; why not be paranoid? ;-) So hopefully if there is something quirky with my car, I can get it fixed before our HPWC's even replaced. :cool: