Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any problems with All Glass Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking of going with an All Glass option instead of Full metal. Any thoughts if the following are concerns with the All Glass option ( same concerns I suppose would apply to the pano roof):
1. Damage from rocks/pebbles flying from back of a vechile and cracking the roof. I've had a similar problem with my windshield few years back.
2. Excessive glare/heat during summers. Is the 81% UV block effective?
3. Difference in road noise?
4. Any difference in range due to additional weight?

Thx

1. Damage from rocks/pebbles flying from back of a vechile and cracking the roof. I've had a similar problem with my windshield few years back.Thx
Usually pebble will skim of the top unlike the windshield which has a more obtuse angle of impact.
Thx
Glare may be more of problem than heat.
3. Difference in road noise?Thx
To be determined once I have mine.
Thx
Sure but maybe negligible.

I'm thinking of going with an All Glass option instead of Full metal. Any thoughts if the following are concerns with the All Glass option ( same concerns I suppose would apply to the pano roof):
1. Damage from rocks/pebbles flying from back of a vechile and cracking the roof. I've had a similar problem with my windshield few years back.

Thx

Thx
IMHO. Life is too short to opt out of a luxury item like this out of fear of the risk of damage or the other two issues. . A few points.
1. You and I live in Ca. Road debris (unless u live in a mountainous region prone to snow, gravel, rock slides) is minimal. My parents have been driving in this state for 60 years and never once had a broken wind screen. I replaced 3 when we lived in CO for 6 years.
2. It's not even the wind screen you are considering, its the roof and therefore even less of a risk.
3. That's what insurance is for in the rare event you need it. I've never had a claim, as my wife and I prefer to pay out in cash for the smaller repairs like a new wind screen, a bumper bump or a door ding. Anything under $1000 and we "eat it". If the cost to replace the all glass was $6k then that's a claim right there. I would also assume it'd be a "no fault" claim. An insurance company cannot claim that you were negligent when someone drops a brick off a bridge on you...
4. If the heat was an issue then you'd be reading lots of complaint from the X owners in Phoenix, Vegas etc. I just don't see too many of those. A few however...
5. If you're this concerned about range, might want to think twice about an EV altogether. I would guess the added weight would reduce range minimally, like the same amount as driving with a dirty car or carrying a passenger.
6. Without a doubt, road noise is going up. Counter that by adding the upgraded stereo option, problem solved.
7. Consider switching to decaf......:)

I had placed my order for a pano roof but switched to the all glass as I was still in the 10 day change period. I live in AZ and from what i have gathered, the heat is not an issue. I never open my sunroof as I suffer from allergies and honestly hate the wind noise, but really wanted the open feel. I can't wait to see it and was just told production will start the week of the 5th!

Love my pano. Have 6K on my Model S with no issues. Live in Georgia and notice no heat build-up which I was concerned about. Buy it. You only live once!.

Attachments

• Tesla.jpg
    Tesla.jpg
    808.9 KB · Views: 203
Reactions: markn455
1. You and I live in Ca. Road debris (unless u live in a mountainous region prone to snow, gravel, rock slides) is minimal. My parents have been driving in this state for 60 years and never once had a broken wind screen. I replaced 3 when we lived in CO for 6 years.
3. That's what insurance is for in the rare event you need it. I've never had a claim, as my wife and I prefer to pay out in cash for the smaller repairs like a new wind screen, a bumper bump or a door ding. Anything under $1000 and we "eat it". If the cost to replace the all glass was $6k then that's a claim right there. I would also assume it'd be a "no fault" claim. An insurance company cannot claim that you were negligent when someone drops a brick off a bridge on you...
Stuff like that varies so much, though. I've lived in CA for 4 years and replaced two windshields. Also somehow managed to get a direct rock impact to the pano roof, but it survived. In 15 years of driving in OH and IL I'd never had to replace glass.

Also, note that "No Fault" claims can affect your premiums. Depending on the policy that moniker might get you out of the deductible, but doesn't necessarily protect you from premium increased based on your claim history, especially if you switch insurance companies.

I agree with the general premise, though. I love my pano roof. It's great. The new glass roof looks nice, too. If you like the headroom and light, but don't plan on driving with it open, it seems like a sensible option.

Got my S90D with all glass roof two day ago. Love the look, no rattles, very cool. Beware that anyone over 6 foot tall will BUMP their head on the hard glass roof if their head ever touches the rear headrest. I am 6'2" and could fit OK in the back seats of my 2012 S with pano roof. It was tight but not uncomfortable or head bumping.

I'm concerned it would be unsafe in an accident for tall people if slammed back into their head rest and head banged into the hard roof.

I was surprised and shocked to find this out!

Glass roof looks cool but isn't when the sun is shinning in the heat of the summer. I had a P85D and traded it for a P100D without a pano or glass roof. It cuts about 180lbs from the weight. The only disadvantage is it decreases rear head room for back seat passengers. But then again I never sit back there. So if you want the look and the head room and don't mind the heat, go for the glass.

Reactions: DIL
I am in Wisconsin and was concerned the glass roof would make the interior harder to keep warm in sub zero weather. it's actually warmer than my old P85D which has the solid roof. (This might also have something to do with the improved door sealing). The tint is so dark I doubt glare would ever be an issue.

Howdy,

Took delivery of my MS with all glass roof...here are a couple of things I have noticed so far:
  1. Upon delivery - we noticed that on all four corners of the roof (outside surface) had some minor scratches. The DS though this was maybe due to the machine that installed it. It was the second all glass roof they delivered so they are looking into the issue.
  2. Driving - when driving the car at high speeds there is a faint bit of wind noise which I believe it due to the gap where the windshield meets the all glass roof. I am not 100% sure this is the cause but I know on other cars that there is usually a rubber strip in the gap so that its seems less.
  3. Headroom - I am 6'4" and the all glass roof works amazing well! I never feel/hit the ceiling. This is the main reason I selected this option - glad I did.
  4. Heat/Light - the glass is surprisingly dark, I have not had any issues w/ it being to bright or felt like I was being cooked from the sun.
Overall I really like the all glass roof and would recommend it.

-Cheers

Howdy,

Took delivery of my MS with all glass roof...here are a couple of things I have noticed so far:
  1. Upon delivery - we noticed that on all four corners of the roof (outside surface) had some minor scratches. The DS though this was maybe due to the machine that installed it. It was the second all glass roof they delivered so they are looking into the issue.
  2. Driving - when driving the car at high speeds there is a faint bit of wind noise which I believe it due to the gap where the windshield meets the all glass roof. I am not 100% sure this is the cause but I know on other cars that there is usually a rubber strip in the gap so that its seems less.
  3. Headroom - I am 6'4" and the all glass roof works amazing well! I never feel/hit the ceiling. This is the main reason I selected this option - glad I did.
  4. Heat/Light - the glass is surprisingly dark, I have not had any issues w/ it being to bright or felt like I was being cooked from the sun.
Overall I really like the all glass roof and would recommend it.

-Cheers

I also have the scratches on a couple of the corners (more like abrasions). Also have a one inch gap between the headliner and the all glass roof on the passenger side allowing reflection of internals when dome lights are on. I guess they missed a clip or something during assembly and I'll have it fixed in a couple of weeks.

Love the roof otherwise.

h
I also have the scratches on a couple of the corners (more like abrasions). Also have a one inch gap between the headliner and the all glass roof on the passenger side allowing reflection of internals when dome lights are on. I guess they missed a clip or something during assembly and I'll have it fixed in a couple of weeks.

Love the roof otherwise.

Yikes, I don't have that (at least I don't think so, will now need to check in AM) but I do have a weird gap between the dash and win shield on the passenger side. So when you look down from the outside in you clearly see the wires for the antenna and even the frame. We compared this on another vehicular and it did not have it. Fun times...

Offhand - do you guys ever see the signal bars on the Tesla cell connection hit all five bars? I have never see it higher than two bars.

I've had the regular pano roof for a year now. It is very effective at blocking out the sun.

I hope Tesla enhance the all glass roof in the future with a selectable tint such that it can be 100% opaque when there is no direct sunlight or at night. That would be so cool...I feel as it is there is too much reflection so it doesn't feel as open as it could. Just my .02