Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any problems with non-tesla home wall charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavanog

Mar 11, 2021
UK
Hi,

I'm excited to be picking up my new Model 3 in 3 weeks!

I'm a bit lost on all the home charging options out there. Would I miss out on any features if I have a non-Tesla wall charger installed (like a Rolec, Pod Point, or other)?

I'm not sure if I need the Tesla one to be able to set charging limits or if there would be any other compatibility" issues.

Any info appreciated!

Thanks!

No, as long as it has the right plug for you to plug into the car, there isnt really anything you are missing by using a different wall connector than the tesla one. The car comes with a mobile connector, as well, so its not "necessary" to purchase any type of wall connector. You just have to have the proper outlet in the location you want to charge.

UK power plugs are different than US, so for specific advice on UK charging you might want to visit the UK specific sub forums:

Would I miss out on any features if I have a non-Tesla wall charger installed (like a Rolec, Pod Point, or other)?
This is actually quite the opposite. The Tesla connectors have no special features that some other brand of devices do have. But those are generally pretty unnecessary. The controls that the car has really do about everything you would really need.

One of the features that some people need and find useful is if you have some specific need to track and keep a detailed log of the energy used to charge the car, which some people need for business cost deductions or tax accounting purposes. The Tesla's in-car systems don't have a very easy way to log that cumulative use, while some other brands of charging connectors do have that built into their software. So that's about the one useful thing I could think of that could be advantageous about using another connector.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Having driven other EVs before getting my M3, and still having one non-Tesla in the garage, I've always had J1772 plugs, and I have no complaints. However, in the interest of completeness, there is one feature you will miss out on. It's never bothered me, but if you use a Tesla EVSE, pressing the button on the plug will open the charge door. Instead you will have to press on the charge door itself.

Having a short stretch recently where I used my mobile connector, I admit the one-handed operation was kind of nice, but hardly revolutionary.

We've used a Schneider Electric level 2 charger for a Leaf first then a Tesla, since 2012 with no issues. All the in-car programming functions work well.
We did invest in a second J1772 adapter that stays in the car after taking off on a trip and forgetting the adapter in the garage.
Good point. I did the same when I started with an employer that had charging available.

I have solar and I am pursuing the openEVSE charger and then using the Tesla-included J1772 adapter. This charger allows the control via wifi of the charging current on your Tesla (the Tesla app does not allow changing amps, I wish Tesla would start spending time updating apps vs the car software, they are way behind). The charger is about $410.00 (with the J1772 cable). For $160 more one can add the emonPi to monitor your solar and with the included app one can program it so that the car is charged with solar only (the Pimon sets the amps on the openEVSE depending on the solar power).