Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any problems with Sentry SSD plugged into the glove box USB port?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a Model Y - delivered June 3, 2021

Has anyone had problems with sentry SSD plugged into the glove box USB port?
I had a SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD - 500 GB. It worked for a few months, then it stopped. I was able to plug it into my Mac (mount the drive). Now there is no response of any type - just dead.

I did notice the it was running very warm.

Does anyone else have an experiences with an SSD with Model Y?

It's the drive you are using, it is not suitable for 24x7 usage. Google for reviews, others report that drive died after a few months or it gets hot if left plugged for extended periods, so if left inside a car in the summer temps, that never helped. Extended usage when too hot will accelerate its demise, as with most electronics.

Get a drive that is suited for temperature extremes and 24x7 usage. If you are driving or have Sentry mode enabled, then the car is ALWAYS writing video to that drive so the last 10 minutes of video is always there in case of any events that need to be logged, saved. When parked and locked, if you do not have sentry mode enabled or sentry mode is disabled when parked at that location (see settings), then that should help a bit in that there is no use of that drive during those down periods.

Look for something like a high endurance SD card that was designed for security cameras, dashcams, etc... For example I am using

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084CJJRBW (SD Card)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G5JV2B5 (USB reader)

Please excuse me for latching on to this thread for a related question. I have been using a Kingston 120 GB SSD and it's now full and won't record anything more. I can not figure out how to erase content to have an empty disc. Anyone know? (on an iMac)

Thanks!

addendum: I figured it out and it couldn't be simpler. For those using an Apple product (iMac in my case), open disc utility and find your SSD you plugged into an open USB port. Highlight the file and NOT the SSD card. Use the "erase" button and badabing, it's empty again.

Last edited: