Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any problems with the display in bright sunlight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No issues. It's possible for the sun to hit just right and reflect into your eyes, but that's very rare (twice in ~10,000 miles). It's not at all like other cars I've had where the display is unreadable almost any time the sun is somewhat low.

Yes.

In the late summer during sunset and sunrise, there is a definite glare and considerable difficulty seeing the 17 inch console display. It's pretty flat around here, and the sun can shine directly onto the display. This is when I'm driving directly west or east during these times.

However, this is rarely a problem.

I have only found glare to be a problem when trying to see the backup camera images. It can be difficult to see the detail you need because the wide angle lens makes things small to begin with and the glare added on top can make backing up dicey occasionally.

I've been in what could be a "worst case scenario" for screen visibility, and it was definitely hard for me to see but still visible enough:

* I get into the car in my garage, and the ambient light inside is dark enough that the screen comes on in "night" mode.
* The sun is out but relatively low, near the beginning or end of the day, so after I open my garage I put on my polarized sunglasses.
* As I back out of the garage, the sun is at an angle such that it glares directly onto the screen, not sure if it's through a side/back window or the pano roof.
* The screen doesn't immediately switch to "day" mode, so it remains dim. Once it does switch to "day" mode (usually within a minute or so) I'm fine.

Any other time, I've had no problem with the screen being too dim. I sometimes find it too *bright* at night, but that's a simple adjustment with the right-hand thumb wheel.