Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any product recommendations for refinishing steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BrettS

Mar 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
So the finish on the steering wheel is starting to wear down. I thing corona may be partially to blame because I tend to spray my hands with an alcohol based hand sanitizer as soon as I get into my car and I probably grab the wheel before it’s all evaporated. I’ve been trying to avoid that now, but the damage has already been done.

The car has 122,000 miles and is long out of warranty, so I’m just looking for something to replace the missing color. I don’t really want to spend a lot of time on it and I don’t need it to look perfect, but I don’t wanna get something that’s not going to last or is just going to rub off on my hands.

Any suggestions?

D990B56A-C12A-40F7-9F1A-1E33989D9954.jpeg

66058253-A3CA-426E-9816-83F88430F52D.jpeg

Yeah, I’ve seen a few products on amazon, although a lot of them seem to be designed for furniture, rather than steering wheels. I may just grab one with reasonably high ratings and see how it goes.

If it doesn’t help or turns out really badly then I suppose replacing the wheel is an option.

also, since you asked for suggestions. Assuming we are not touching our faces with our hands and washing them regularly with soap and water? No real benefit to spraying your hands with sanitizer just before touching the steering wheel.

I have been doing it after I left a store, where I had touched things in the store. Not really a good chance to wash my hands at that point and a good chance that I may absent mindedly touch my face without thinking about it.

I’m definitely not someone using hand sanitizer every 15 minutes, but I think in that case it’s appropriate.