TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Any real difference in P90d vs P85D other than range.

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Indpowr, Feb 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

Any real differences?

I know hp is about the same and the tq is slightly higher. So other than range any real advantages?

It's about 6500 more than the P85D. It has premium interior and metallic paint which is basically 6500.

As it gets closer to decision time (1 week) want to make sure I the most informative as possible.

2. Mystic

Mystic Member

P90D is slightly faster, very slight, mere milliseconds, but it is faster, assuming both have Ludicrous mode. Also consider the build dates of the vehicles. P90D and P85D did have some crossover where Tesla sold both vehicles at the same time but it's likely the P90D is newer. Therefore meaning more refinements and improvements, generally speaking. Since Tesla is constantly improving the car where and when they can all in complete silence at the factory. So on the surface they are both Tesla's, but most will tell you here the more recent vehicle is the better buy if money is no option.

• Like x 2
  3. docherf

docherf Member

When I bought my 90D in March '16, there no difference except range between the 85D and 90D. The 0-60 times were the same. It was a 3k option.

• Informative x 1
  4. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

6% range and you can do a range upgrade on the 85 to match the 90.

Yes the P90d is newer but not by a lot.

Love premium interior as I love leather but damn 4500.

Both are insane only.

Depending on upgrade Lud maybe added to the P85D for roughly same cost of the P90d

Neither has + suspension

5. Mystic

Mystic Member

You really just have to consider what you find the most value in. P90D will always be slightly faster. Even something as simple as overtaking power from 45-60 on the highway is quicker on P90D. But if the performance discrepancy isn't a big deal, and neither is the close build dates, then a cheaper car may be a better option for you. Especially if you think the options on the P90D are too steep. But the way I see it personally, if money isn't a huge issue, the P90D is always going to win the discussion.

6. Jeff4155

Jeff4155 Member

as said above the 90D is probably the newer vehicle, but saving $6500 can also be to your advantage, I would save the money and spend it on a Model 3 when they arrive

7. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

I hate the model 3 lol looks like a Prius to us. we have 6 cars so, no need for another car after the Tesla.

We like power but doubtful the 6500 is worth it for the same performance. range also isn't an issue. love the interior bit I could redo it cheaper than 6500 lol

8. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

I thought the 90 was the new battery chemistry, compared to the 85? May have mis-remembered though.

9. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Yes, 90 has different chemistry than 85.

10. Haxster

Haxster Member

I'd suggest that you also consider the resale difference when you sell/trad-in (the car you haven't even bought yet!). And think about the total "cost of ownership."

You know that it's $6,500 today. However, your real cost is likely somewhere between $0 and $6,500 over the X years that you own the car. Maybe $3K over 3 years?

11. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

In the ludi versions P90d is .2-.3 faster in 1/4 mile.
    Pre April 2015 p85d can have plus suspension and next gen rear seats.

12. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

Is that good or bad

What is amazing to me is the CPO site has P90d rated at 268 miles and the P85D at 285

13. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

I know the 14 P85D does not show it in the source code. but maybe it's there. I do love the look of rear next gen.

14. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

If wife resells. she keeps her cars not me lol

15. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

Ok feel free to school me here

90 chemistry

They get better range by using some silicone vs graphite. This allows them to have a longer range with Musks goal of about 5% improvevent a year.

Down side is the more silicone used you drastically decease the life span of the battery. So they are using better binders to prevent the break down.

So anyone with a 90D or P90d showing any degradation loss yet?

Let me know if I lost my mind lol

16. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

Don't forget the ability to recover miles faster at the supercharging stations provided the stations are working as advertised.

17. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

When the new chemistry first came out there were concerns that the Range calculation was "off" so people were getting incorrect results. I suppose the battery being covered by warranty offsets that, I haven't read any concerns recently.

I think that Bjorn's videos have shown that the new chemistry Super-charges faster (up to 60% mark, or so) compared to the old chemistry.

18. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

Yes by 15% from what I read