Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any reason not to install 2021.32.22?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked this question in another thread, but no one responded so I’m creating a new thread.

I’m currently on a road trip in my 2018 Model S, which has 2021.32.20 installed. I have an update to 2021.32.22 that I haven’t installed yet, and I’m wondering if there’s any reason I shouldn’t install it. I ask because in the other thread, someone reported that installing 32.22 made Autopilot worse, but I don’t know which build they had before.

If I do install the build, any reason not to request access to FSD Beta while I’m still on the road trip? Once you get FSD Beta (after qualifying), is it something you can enable/disable while using navigation, as you can with Navigate on Autopilot?

I'm currently on 2021.32.21 so I can't speak to 2021.32.22 (here comes an opinion) but I personally don't do software updates while I'm on a road trip. Especially if my current software version is stable. I'd personally wait until you get back from your trip. I'm a little more risk averse though lol.

I always install a software update when it comes out regardless of if I'm on a trip or not. My last update was done around the 1500 mile mark in a 4200 mile trip (San Francisco to Starbase, TX).

I did not notice any difference in AP functionality.
I dide upgrade to .22 just to get the BETA REQUEST button which I turned on right away and after about 2 hours I was enrolled and my driving habits were being recorded and analyzed. I'm on day 11 of the BETA REQUEST with a average score of 97 over 351 miles (excluding today).

It's a personal preference vs. risk. If you feel unfortunable with doing an upgrade while on a trip, then you shouldn't as it will impact your trip should it fail and you car needs to be towed to a service center. Also with calculating your score, unless you can drive really well, then many people find that their normal driving behavior will give them a pretty poor score. You do need to be mindful of the rules to get a good score.

Reactions: BitJam
...I’m currently on a road trip...
I agree with @Silicon Desert .

Most updates are fine but there's a very small percentage that it can create problems.

I think that's an acceptable risk vs benefits at home but not while I am in an unfamiliar place.

...install it. I ask because in the other thread, someone reported that installing 32.22 made Autopilot worse...
It works fine for me. I even cover the cabin camera and it still works great!

...If I do install the build, any reason not to request access to FSD Beta while I’m still on the road trip?
If your goal is to get the highest score then request when you are in familiar driving routes, not some unknown drives.
Once you get FSD Beta (after qualifying), is it something you can enable/disable while using navigation, as you can with Navigate on Autopilot?
You can disable/configure the way you do now in the "Autopilot" menu.

I always install the betas when they are first available.
Never left me stranded but there was one where my screen would go black as the car was resetting about once an hour.
That said I won’t do it if I’m in the middle of a trip or in a situation where I know I’m going to need the car.
‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Reactions: CDennis100
I decided to install the build. No problems, but I haven’t driven yet. If I notice any changes in Autopilot behavior, I’ll update this thread. I requested the FSD Beta, but I don’t expect I’ll install that until after my trip (not that I’ll get it before then anyway).

...the radar is still active in cars with radar (Model Y specifically) ?

Radar-equipped cars still have the radar active on the highway even with current pure vision FSD beta 10.1.

Radarless cars still have some limitations such as you can't dial down following distance below 3, you can't drive Autopilot faster 80 MPH (used to be 75 MPH but now improved)...

That is not very apparent for city driving in FSD beta 10.1 (most don't drive 75-80 MPH in a small street in downtown).

FSD beta 10.1 is not single stack right now so it's pure vision in the city but the older version of the highway module is still active which means you don't have the restrictions of radarless cars if you still have radar for now.

I decided to install the build. No problems, but I haven’t driven yet. If I notice any changes in Autopilot behavior, I’ll update this thread. I requested the FSD Beta, but I don’t expect I’ll install that until after my trip (not that I’ll get it before then anyway).
I drove about 150 miles yesterday, some interstate but mostly secondary rural highways in VT/NH, using Autosteer most of the time. I didn’t encounter any unusual AP issues. My safety score was 93 as of this morning, apparently because the car thinks I did some hard braking and aggressive turning, neither of which I did. The roads I was driving on were winding at times, so I wonder if steering on those roads counts as aggressive turning when not using AP.

I think when you try to beat the red light and take a left or right turn - it counts as an aggressive turn- i guess the increase in acceleration prior to the turn may be causing this- not sure but this is my guess based on my driving data.