Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any reason to choose NEMA 14-30 over NEMA 10-30. or vice-versa?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an existing 30A 240V circuit (3 wire, with ground) in my garage that is no longer being used for anything else, and I could re-route the cable and receptacle NEMA 14-30) to a more convenient location for charging my Model Y. I could also free up space in my breaker box for a new double pole breaker, and install a new circuit with some spare 8 gauge cable (2 wire, with ground) I have; I'd use this to put in a NEMA 10-30 receptacle. I don't require anything more than a 30A charging capability for my needs, so my question is whether there is any advantage to choosing one NEMA version over the other if I have the choice. Thanks.

The 10-30 is not allowed for new installations. Use the 14-30 for a 30A circuit as it has the ground connection missing from the 10-30. Existing 10-30 installations, i.e. dryer outlets are grandfathered. These days when you purchase a new electric dryer you also need to purchase the correct power plug wire kit, i.e. 10-30 or 14-30 for your home.

If you sell the property, the potential new owner might well force you to bring the electrics up to code.

Might be better to update now, rather than have an ungrounded outlet.😃

An electrician is recommended.
Meh. You can always tell them “No”, or that you will disable the outlet. Usually that will quiet the buyer. Buyers have almost no power to make any demands in the current seller’s market.

Reactions: ucmndd
If you sell the property, the potential new owner might well force you to bring the electrics up to code.

Might be better to update now, rather than have an ungrounded outlet.
Bring exactly what up to code? I haven't seen anything mentioned yet that is not up to code. He does not currently have a 10-30.
I have an existing 30A 240V circuit (3 wire, with ground)
"with ground"
All code says about these is that you cannot install new 10-30 outlets, which we have already advised him not to do. But code says any existing 10-30 outlets that are already there can stay there and do not have to be changed or upgraded. It even allows replacing a broken 10-30 receptacle with a new 10-30 if that's what it already was.