Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any reason to get Spotify Premium during year of free Premium Connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never been a Spotify user. I can add myself to my son's account for another $2 a month, and thus log in to Spotify Premium on my Model 3. However, is there any benefit to doing this, or do I get basically the same functionality from the Premium Connectivity streaming, which I have for free for a year?

...do I get basically the same functionality from the Premium Connectivity streaming, which I have for free for a year?

No. Tesla Premium Connectivity is just like a generic internet provider and it does not cover your Spotify fee, Netflix fee, Amazon Prime Video fee...

You can't use Spotify app from your Tesla car unless you pay Spotify (no free Spotify version for your Tesla car).

Telsa does cover your $3.99/month Slacker.com Plus for free whether you bought Tesla Premium Connectivity or not. If you bought Tesla Premium Connectivity, you can use Slacker while driving as well as parking. Without Tesla Premium Connectivity, you can only use its slacker.com app via a wi-fi (could be a stationary source like at home or a mobile wi-fi hotspot).

I didn't like Slacker.com because it lacked my favorite music for years since I first got a Tesla in 2012 while Spotify has had a big global selection.

Within a couple of years, the free Slacker. com app in your Tesla is pretty good in terms of expanding selection and should catch up with Spotify pretty soon.

So if you can afford a $2/month more for Spotify, I would go ahead.

If not, just use the included and rival and free Slacker.com app in your Tesla.

I also use spotify.. albeit on my cell phone at the moment (don't have my M3 yet). My plan is to keep spotify premium.. keep my phone still syncing my daily changing playlists and if I hit an area with poor/no cell coverage, I will just stream via bluetooth using the locally cached song libraries... I just use a public library that basically has all the songs on SiriusXM Octane.. it's not live play, but the songs on the playlist are the same so I still get the new music I would have normally missed...

Spotify is worth it. I'm actually really pleased that it's included... I have lifetime siriusXM but really, the car not having support for that isn't an issue.

just my $0.02.. but that's in CAD.. so take it for what it's worth.. :)

Reactions: HovFTW
I also use spotify.. albeit on my cell phone at the moment (don't have my M3 yet). My plan is to keep spotify premium.. keep my phone still syncing my daily changing playlists and if I hit an area with poor/no cell coverage, I will just stream via bluetooth using the locally cached song libraries...
I think the Tesla Spotify is only 64 or 96kbps. You may want to always use Bluetooth for better sound quality.

Reactions: HovFTW